Wireless used to work but doesn't now

Dee

Wireless used to work but doesn't now
I have a laptop with Vista, The other day all of the sudden the wireless
network isn't recognized, I get a message that says I need to install the
driver software, so I plug the laptop in with an ethernet, it installs the
driver and then it (the wireless network) works again for awhile, only to
stop working again randomly. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the
drivers, I have run Norton anti virus, and Trend Micro House call and neither
finds viruses, I have updated everything I can think of. What else could it
be?
Mick Murphy

RE: Wireless used to work but doesn't now
You should have only one(1) anti-virus running on a computer.
Right-click on Norton, and see if it has disabled the internet connection.
It will block all traffic.
Check Trend-micro.
AND, remove one or the other!

"Dee" wrote:

> I have a laptop with Vista, The other day all of the sudden the wireless
> network isn't recognized, I get a message that says I need to install the
> driver software, so I plug the laptop in with an ethernet, it installs the
> driver and then it (the wireless network) works again for awhile, only to
> stop working again randomly. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the
> drivers, I have run Norton anti virus, and Trend Micro House call and neither
> finds viruses, I have updated everything I can think of. What else could it
> be?

Dee

RE: Wireless used to work but doesn't now
I don't have to anti virus programs running, house call is an internet based
scanner. My internet works if I plug it in, just not the wirless...as I said
before

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You should have only one(1) anti-virus running on a computer.
> Right-click on Norton, and see if it has disabled the internet connection.
> It will block all traffic.
> Check Trend-micro.
> AND, remove one or the other!
>
> "Dee" wrote:
>
> > I have a laptop with Vista, The other day all of the sudden the wireless
> > network isn't recognized, I get a message that says I need to install the
> > driver software, so I plug the laptop in with an ethernet, it installs the
> > driver and then it (the wireless network) works again for awhile, only to
> > stop working again randomly. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the
> > drivers, I have run Norton anti virus, and Trend Micro House call and neither
> > finds viruses, I have updated everything I can think of. What else could it
> > be?

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Wireless used to work but doesn't now
Is it recognized at all? Can you see it in Device Management
(devmgmt.msc from the command prompt)?

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:01:02 -0700, Dee
<Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I don't have to anti virus programs running, house call is an internet based
>scanner. My internet works if I plug it in, just not the wirless...as I said
>before
>
>"Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
>> You should have only one(1) anti-virus running on a computer.
>> Right-click on Norton, and see if it has disabled the internet connection.
>> It will block all traffic.
>> Check Trend-micro.
>> AND, remove one or the other!
>>
>> "Dee" wrote:
>>
>> > I have a laptop with Vista, The other day all of the sudden the wireless
>> > network isn't recognized, I get a message that says I need to install the
>> > driver software, so I plug the laptop in with an ethernet, it installs the
>> > driver and then it (the wireless network) works again for awhile, only to
>> > stop working again randomly. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the
>> > drivers, I have run Norton anti virus, and Trend Micro House call and neither
>> > finds viruses, I have updated everything I can think of. What else could it
>> > be?

Dee

Re: Wireless used to work but doesn't now
No it isn't recognized at all, no it's not in device management...When I
updated windows last a Nvidia Nforce networking controller was there, but not
the broadcom lan

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> Is it recognized at all? Can you see it in Device Management
> (devmgmt.msc from the command prompt)?
>
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net
>
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:01:02 -0700, Dee
> <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I don't have to anti virus programs running, house call is an internet based
> >scanner. My internet works if I plug it in, just not the wirless...as I said
> >before
> >
> >"Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> >> You should have only one(1) anti-virus running on a computer.
> >> Right-click on Norton, and see if it has disabled the internet connection.
> >> It will block all traffic.
> >> Check Trend-micro.
> >> AND, remove one or the other!

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Wireless used to work but doesn't now
Let's try to address the simplest first - is the wireless still
powered on? Most laptops have a hardware switch and it can often be
bumped off by accident.

Second, under Device Management, tell it to rescan for the device.

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:07:00 -0700, Dee
<Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No it isn't recognized at all, no it's not in device management...When I
>updated windows last a Nvidia Nforce networking controller was there, but not
>the broadcom lan
>
>"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:
>
>> Is it recognized at all? Can you see it in Device Management
>> (devmgmt.msc from the command prompt)?
>>
>> ---
>> Jeffrey Randow
>> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
>> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
>> http://www.networkblog.net
>>
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:01:02 -0700, Dee
>> <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I don't have to anti virus programs running, house call is an internet based
>> >scanner. My internet works if I plug it in, just not the wirless...as I said
>> >before

Dee

Re: Wireless used to work but doesn't now
You mean the wireless can be powered off? LOL oy! Yes it was powered on, it
is fixed now...Here is the Solution for future reference if anyone else has
this problem.....I noticed that when I started having problems it was the day
as my last windows update, for some unknown reason windows update installed a
driver for a router that I don't even have.....I had to download the driver
for the wireless Lan I do have. That didn't work at first, so then I had to
disable the "wireless Lan" that windows update made up , and then re install
my driver for the one I really have installed. I am still baffled as to why
windows did this anyway, but vista still is working out the kinks...so I'll
forgive it this time...But from now on I have to approve everything windows
update does. Thanks !