Peer to Peer network Vista and XP locks out after a time.

kimberley873

Peer to Peer network Vista and XP locks out after a time.
Hello,
I am having a hell of a time with a network of Dell Vista Business desktop
and two XP laptops.

I have setup shared folders on the Vista machine. These are password
protected and I have created a local user for each XP laptop. I also have
shared a Dell printer the Vista Desktop. It all works really well, both
printing and file sharing but after an unspecified time, both XP laptops are
simultaneously locked out, explorer freezing for a time. The Vista Desktop
does not freeze (doesn't even blink). The network does not restore itself,
printing or file sharing, Vista appears unavailable.

I have tried restarting the Server, Workstation and Computer Browser
services on Vista. I have also changed the auto-disconnect setting on Vista
to a much higher setting. I can ping the Vista machine while disconnected
from the XP machines. The only way to get the network going again is to
reboot the Vista machine, then it is all fabulous for a while.

The Vista machine is a brand new Dell, with all updates. It also runs
Office and uses Norton Internet Security 2007. At the time of disconnection
there are no events of note in Event Viewer.

Thanks in advance.
Kim
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Peer to Peer network Vista and XP locks out after a time.
Any errors in the event viewer?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"kimberley873" <kimberley873@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am having a hell of a time with a network of Dell Vista Business desktop
> and two XP laptops.
>
> I have setup shared folders on the Vista machine. These are password
> protected and I have created a local user for each XP laptop. I also have
> shared a Dell printer the Vista Desktop. It all works really well, both
> printing and file sharing but after an unspecified time, both XP laptops
> are
> simultaneously locked out, explorer freezing for a time. The Vista
> Desktop
> does not freeze (doesn't even blink). The network does not restore
> itself,
> printing or file sharing, Vista appears unavailable.
>
> I have tried restarting the Server, Workstation and Computer Browser
> services on Vista. I have also changed the auto-disconnect setting on
> Vista
> to a much higher setting. I can ping the Vista machine while disconnected
> from the XP machines. The only way to get the network going again is to
> reboot the Vista machine, then it is all fabulous for a while.
>
> The Vista machine is a brand new Dell, with all updates. It also runs
> Office and uses Norton Internet Security 2007. At the time of
> disconnection
> there are no events of note in Event Viewer.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Kim

Kerry Brown

Re: Peer to Peer network Vista and XP locks out after a time.
When the lockout occurs has the Vista computer entered sleep mode at any
time before this?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"kimberley873" <kimberley873@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am having a hell of a time with a network of Dell Vista Business desktop
> and two XP laptops.
>
> I have setup shared folders on the Vista machine. These are password
> protected and I have created a local user for each XP laptop. I also have
> shared a Dell printer the Vista Desktop. It all works really well, both
> printing and file sharing but after an unspecified time, both XP laptops
> are
> simultaneously locked out, explorer freezing for a time. The Vista
> Desktop
> does not freeze (doesn't even blink). The network does not restore
> itself,
> printing or file sharing, Vista appears unavailable.
>
> I have tried restarting the Server, Workstation and Computer Browser
> services on Vista. I have also changed the auto-disconnect setting on
> Vista
> to a much higher setting. I can ping the Vista machine while disconnected
> from the XP machines. The only way to get the network going again is to
> reboot the Vista machine, then it is all fabulous for a while.
>
> The Vista machine is a brand new Dell, with all updates. It also runs
> Office and uses Norton Internet Security 2007. At the time of
> disconnection
> there are no events of note in Event Viewer.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Kim

kimberley873

Re: Peer to Peer network Vista and XP locks out after a time.
No errors in the event viewer!

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Any errors in the event viewer?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "kimberley873" <kimberley873@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I am having a hell of a time with a network of Dell Vista Business desktop
> > and two XP laptops.
> >
> > I have setup shared folders on the Vista machine. These are password
> > protected and I have created a local user for each XP laptop. I also have
> > shared a Dell printer the Vista Desktop. It all works really well, both
> > printing and file sharing but after an unspecified time, both XP laptops
> > are
> > simultaneously locked out, explorer freezing for a time. The Vista
> > Desktop
> > does not freeze (doesn't even blink). The network does not restore
> > itself,
> > printing or file sharing, Vista appears unavailable.
> >
> > I have tried restarting the Server, Workstation and Computer Browser
> > services on Vista. I have also changed the auto-disconnect setting on
> > Vista
> > to a much higher setting. I can ping the Vista machine while disconnected
> > from the XP machines. The only way to get the network going again is to
> > reboot the Vista machine, then it is all fabulous for a while.
> >
> > The Vista machine is a brand new Dell, with all updates. It also runs
> > Office and uses Norton Internet Security 2007. At the time of
> > disconnection
> > there are no events of note in Event Viewer.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Kim

kimberley873

Re: Peer to Peer network Vista and XP locks out after a time.
Hi Kerry,
The Vista machine was not in sleep mode. I have disabled hibernation and
power saving options. I was using the Vista machine when one instance of the
lockout happened, I noticed nothing.
I am not sure what to look at next.
Thanks
Kim