Network Security in Vista

Aerolz

Network Security in Vista
I have 2 desktops and 3 laptops on a wireless Linksys 54g router. All the
pc's are running Vista Premium. If I set my wireless security to WPA, they
all connect but it is extremely slow, like dialup or worse. If I set it to
WEP, they all connect quickly, Internet is quick etc. I had always used WPA
when I was running WIN XP and it worked great. On Vista, there seems to be a
major slowdown. I can see the computers on the network map with WEP, on WPA
it shows some, but not all. Printers are also a problem in WPA. Any ideas? My
network was fine with WPA on XP. Vista is dog slow on it, so I tried it on
WEP and that works much better, but is sooo slow. All the network cards were
confugiured with the correct security type and passphrase each time I
switched the router.
Thanks,
--
Zoso
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Security in Vista
Do you have anti-virus or security software running? Disable them for a
test. or this link may help.

Vista Wireless slow issues
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1930

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Aerolz" <Aerolz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 desktops and 3 laptops on a wireless Linksys 54g router. All the
> pc's are running Vista Premium. If I set my wireless security to WPA, they
> all connect but it is extremely slow, like dialup or worse. If I set it to
> WEP, they all connect quickly, Internet is quick etc. I had always used
> WPA
> when I was running WIN XP and it worked great. On Vista, there seems to be
> major slowdown. I can see the computers on the network map with WEP, on
> WPA
> it shows some, but not all. Printers are also a problem in WPA. Any ideas?
> My
> network was fine with WPA on XP. Vista is dog slow on it, so I tried it on
> WEP and that works much better, but is sooo slow. All the network cards
> were
> confugiured with the correct security type and passphrase each time I
> switched the router.
> Thanks,
> --
> Zoso

Aerolz

Re: Network Security in Vista
I disabled Mcafee. Ran with no virus or frewall and it is the same.
I tried all the normal things I could think of, like virus-firewall issues,
I diabled the user acount security in Vista, I put in a range expander from
Linksys. It all worked very fast in XP using wpa security. Just very slow in
Vista unless I set evrything to wep, which is far less secure.
Zoso