Printer sharing between XP and Vista computers on same network

Rocketman

Printer sharing between XP and Vista computers on same network
I installed a new Vistas computer on an old LAN where the other two computers
are Windows XP. I can access the internet fine from all of the computers,
but when I try to share a printer hooked up to the Vistas computer with the
other computers, they can't print to it. What is the problem?
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Printer sharing between XP and Vista computers on same network
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:57:01 -0700, Rocketman
<Rocketman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I installed a new Vistas computer on an old LAN where the other two computers
>are Windows XP. I can access the internet fine from all of the computers,
>but when I try to share a printer hooked up to the Vistas computer with the
>other computers, they can't print to it. What is the problem?

There are numerous possible problems, some possibly the fault of Microsoft,
others the fault of the printer vendor. Do you have the latest drivers
available?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Printers>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1....html#Printers

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Rocketman

Re: Printer sharing between XP and Vista computers on same network
Thanks. I'll try getting printer drivers that accept both systems.

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:57:01 -0700, Rocketman
> <Rocketman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I installed a new Vistas computer on an old LAN where the other two computers
> >are Windows XP. I can access the internet fine from all of the computers,
> >but when I try to share a printer hooked up to the Vistas computer with the
> >other computers, they can't print to it. What is the problem?

> There are numerous possible problems, some possibly the fault of Microsoft,
> others the fault of the printer vendor. Do you have the latest drivers
> available?
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Printers>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1....html#Printers
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Mick Murphy

Re: Printer sharing between XP and Vista computers on same network
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l.../bb727037.aspx

file and printer sharing in vista

"Rocketman" wrote:

> Thanks. I'll try getting printer drivers that accept both systems.
>
> "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:57:01 -0700, Rocketman
> > <Rocketman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I installed a new Vistas computer on an old LAN where the other two computers
> > >are Windows XP. I can access the internet fine from all of the computers,
> > >but when I try to share a printer hooked up to the Vistas computer with the
> > >other computers, they can't print to it. What is the problem?

> > There are numerous possible problems, some possibly the fault of Microsoft,
> > others the fault of the printer vendor. Do you have the latest drivers
> > available?
> > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Printers>
> > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1....html#Printers
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
> > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> > Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
> > My email is AT DOT
> > actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Printer sharing between XP and Vista computers on same network
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:58:00 -0700, Rocketman
<Rocketman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:57:01 -0700, Rocketman
>> <Rocketman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I installed a new Vistas computer on an old LAN where the other two computers
>> >are Windows XP. I can access the internet fine from all of the computers,
>> >but when I try to share a printer hooked up to the Vistas computer with the
>> >other computers, they can't print to it. What is the problem?

>> There are numerous possible problems, some possibly the fault of Microsoft,
>> others the fault of the printer vendor. Do you have the latest drivers
>> available?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Printers>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1....html#Printers

>Thanks. I'll try getting printer drivers that accept both systems.

That's wise. With Windows Vista, some vendors couldn't start development of
drivers until after the operating system itself was released. Earlier drivers
may be buggy, so getting the most current drivers are a good idea.

--
Cheers,