Dial-up modem hangs up within 20 min every call

jmettee

Dial-up modem hangs up within 20 min every call
In June, bought an Acer Aspire laptop with AMD TURION MK-36 64-bit processor
& Vista Home Premium (32 bit). We only have dial-up modem for internet
access. First has PeoplePC when we got the PC & it would exhibit the
problems below. Switched ISPs & was fine for about 2 months, then the new
ISP started the same issues.

Symptoms:
1) After dialing & connecting (usually 44kbs), line usually drops in 5 to 15
minutes.
2) Line appears to drop the most when using web browser (IE7 or FF 2.0) &
pulling in larger pages or even downloads of files.
3) Line stays connected longer when Windows Update is downloading (& no web
browser use), sometimes doesn't hang up.
4) Line will stay connected until timeout when network activity is idle or
very low.
5) Connected directly to a 2nd PC at a different location without any
disconnect for 1 hour+
6) Disconnect starts with immediate freeze in download shown by network
connection icon, then no data received but send keeps blinking in 1 sec
bursts for ~30 sec, then line drops.

Steps done to troubleshoot so far:
1) Line is clear, not audible static
2) Connected at Telephone Interface Box where line comes into house
3) Took PC to another home & used that phone line, same results
4) Reset Winsock
5) Uninstalled/reinstalled modem
6) Ensured driver was up to date & correct

Still having the same issues. The thing that really puzzles me is that this
PC started this on 1 ISP, I switched ISPs & was fine for a wile, but then the
problems started again which suggests to me that it's not ISP related or
hardware related, but perhaps in Vista?

I can get more specific info on my hardware when I get home if needed. The
modem is a Conexant HDAudio SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP.

Thanks for any help!
Justin
Dwarf

RE: Dial-up modem hangs up within 20 min every call
Hi jmettee,

My advice to you would be to get broadband. Not only would you get faster
internet access, but broadband is charged at a flat rate on a monthly basis
whereas dial-up is charged by the minute so you could potentially save a lot
of money. My ISP is AOL and I have a Netgear DG834G router which is connected
to my machine via Ethernet. At the moment my download speed is 2M, although
AOL are hoping to increase this in the near future for no extra charge. If
you go to their website, you will find more details:
http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadband/broadband.adp
Dwarf

"jmettee" wrote:

> In June, bought an Acer Aspire laptop with AMD TURION MK-36 64-bit processor
> & Vista Home Premium (32 bit). We only have dial-up modem for internet
> access. First has PeoplePC when we got the PC & it would exhibit the
> problems below. Switched ISPs & was fine for about 2 months, then the new
> ISP started the same issues.
>
> Symptoms:
> 1) After dialing & connecting (usually 44kbs), line usually drops in 5 to 15
> minutes.
> 2) Line appears to drop the most when using web browser (IE7 or FF 2.0) &
> pulling in larger pages or even downloads of files.
> 3) Line stays connected longer when Windows Update is downloading (& no web
> browser use), sometimes doesn't hang up.
> 4) Line will stay connected until timeout when network activity is idle or
> very low.
> 5) Connected directly to a 2nd PC at a different location without any
> disconnect for 1 hour+
> 6) Disconnect starts with immediate freeze in download shown by network
> connection icon, then no data received but send keeps blinking in 1 sec
> bursts for ~30 sec, then line drops.
>
> Steps done to troubleshoot so far:
> 1) Line is clear, not audible static
> 2) Connected at Telephone Interface Box where line comes into house
> 3) Took PC to another home & used that phone line, same results
> 4) Reset Winsock
> 5) Uninstalled/reinstalled modem
> 6) Ensured driver was up to date & correct
>
> Still having the same issues. The thing that really puzzles me is that this
> PC started this on 1 ISP, I switched ISPs & was fine for a wile, but then the
> problems started again which suggests to me that it's not ISP related or
> hardware related, but perhaps in Vista?
>
> I can get more specific info on my hardware when I get home if needed. The
> modem is a Conexant HDAudio SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Justin

Eric Johnson

Re: Dial-up modem hangs up within 20 min every call
definitely get broadband. if you need something cheap, and not much speed,
settle with DSL. if speed sounds good to you and you don’t mind paying a
little more, go with cable.
(or fiber-optic is possible in some areas.)
and if you're in a rural area where neither is available, go with satellite-
its not too bad...