Internet connection hangs up after a random time - only restart helps!

M4ciek

Internet connection hangs up after a random time - only restart helps!
Hello everyone, hope to get some help here....

My configuration is as follows:
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit PL (with all the automatic WU installed),
ADSL connection (polish NET24 at Netia ISP)
Sagem 800/840 USB modem
Internet connection sharing for a second PC at home (laptop)
cFosSpeed 4.0.4
Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0

As far as I've already read this is might be a common problem and
might not be involved with the hardware and a type of connection.

Ok, but to be specific: after a couple of minutes/hours (it occurs
randomly) my internet connection asleeps! it means that I cannot
display any website after a second (in Firefox neither IE7), however
the connections already made (IMs like SKYPE) still works until I
decide to restart this Skype or other Internet-demanding software;
after a restart of an application it won't connect to its appropriate
server)

The only working Internet function which works is the PING. Reseting
the connection does not help, resetting the modem either, as well as I
have assured to have disabled saving energy feature in USB ports;

The only way to solve the problem is to make a total reset of an Vista
OS and then my Internet works properly but no one wknows how long
(yesterday I did it 5 times during a 12h of working time)

Internet connection sharing works at a second connected computer
(laptop with XP) all the time, no matter if the Internet at Vista
works or not (WTF?)

Malke

Re: Internet connection hangs up after a random time - only restarthelps!
M4ciek wrote:
> Hello everyone, hope to get some help here....
>
> My configuration is as follows:
> Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit PL (with all the automatic WU installed),
> ADSL connection (polish NET24 at Netia ISP)
> Sagem 800/840 USB modem
> Internet connection sharing for a second PC at home (laptop)
> cFosSpeed 4.0.4
> Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0
>
> As far as I've already read this is might be a common problem and
> might not be involved with the hardware and a type of connection.
>
> Ok, but to be specific: after a couple of minutes/hours (it occurs
> randomly) my internet connection asleeps! it means that I cannot
> display any website after a second (in Firefox neither IE7), however
> the connections already made (IMs like SKYPE) still works until I
> decide to restart this Skype or other Internet-demanding software;
> after a restart of an application it won't connect to its appropriate
> server)
>
> The only working Internet function which works is the PING. Reseting
> the connection does not help, resetting the modem either, as well as I
> have assured to have disabled saving energy feature in USB ports;
>
> The only way to solve the problem is to make a total reset of an Vista
> OS and then my Internet works properly but no one wknows how long
> (yesterday I did it 5 times during a 12h of working time)
>
> Internet connection sharing works at a second connected computer
> (laptop with XP) all the time, no matter if the Internet at Vista
> works or not (WTF?)

1. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your network adapter (NIC).
Get them from either the NIC mftr.'s website or, if you have an OEM
machine like a Dell or HP, from the OEM's website for your specific
model machine.

2. Go to the System applet in Control Panel and from there to Device
Manager (may be under "Advanced" options). Expand the network devices
category and find the entry for your NIC. Double-click it to get its
Properties and click on the Power Management tab. Uncheck "Allow Windows
to turn off this device when not in use".

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
M4ciek

Re: Internet connection hangs up after a random time - only restart helps!
> 1. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your network adapter (NIC).
> Get them from either the NIC mftr.'s website or, if you have an OEM
> machine like a Dell or HP, from the OEM's website for your specific
> model machine.

As I've written: it's USB ADSL Modem (Sagem); there is only one
version of drivers compatibile with Vista OS for this hardware

> 2. Go to the System applet in Control Panel and from there to Device
> Manager (may be under "Advanced" options). Expand the network devices
> category and find the entry for your NIC. Double-click it to get its
> Properties and click on the Power Management tab. Uncheck "Allow Windows
> to turn off this device when not in use".

Once again - already mentioned - NIC is not in use in case of my
Internet connection as my modem is USB-one. However (and I've already
mentioned that) these options concerning the USB (NIC also) ports are
set up properly (best performance, no energy savings set up)

M4ciek wrote:
>> 1. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your network adapter (NIC).
>> Get them from either the NIC mftr.'s website or, if you have an OEM
>> machine like a Dell or HP, from the OEM's website for your specific
>> model machine.

> As I've written: it's USB ADSL Modem (Sagem); there is only one
> version of drivers compatibile with Vista OS for this hardware
>> 2. Go to the System applet in Control Panel and from there to Device
>> Manager (may be under "Advanced" options). Expand the network devices
>> category and find the entry for your NIC. Double-click it to get its
>> Properties and click on the Power Management tab. Uncheck "Allow Windows
>> to turn off this device when not in use".

> Once again - already mentioned - NIC is not in use in case of my
> Internet connection as my modem is USB-one. However (and I've already
> mentioned that) these options concerning the USB (NIC also) ports are
> set up properly (best performance, no energy savings set up)

OK, so your computer is connecting to the modem via a USB port instead
of with a NIC.

1. The modem may not be compatible with Vista. Contact the modem mftr.
for known issues, workarounds, etc.

2. Connecting to a cable/DSL modem via USB is not the best way. If you
have the ability to use ethernet on that modem, do that instead or
consider switching to a modem with an ethernet connection that is
supported by your ISP.

3. Instead of doing ICS, consider purchasing a router instead which will
work with your modem. Most routers connect via ethernet and not USB, so
bear that in mind relative to #1 and #2.

4. Contact Skype for any issues with their services. There have been
reports of quite a few difficulties using Skype with Vista. Google for
them on both the Web and in Google Groups.

5. The same advice I already gave you for NIC drivers goes for USB
drivers. The USB drivers will be on your motherboard.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
M4ciek

Re: Internet connection hangs up after a random time - only restart helps!
> OK, so your computer is connecting to the modem via a USB port instead
> of with a NIC.

I have no other possibility....

> 1. The modem may not be compatible with Vista. Contact the modem mftr.
> for known issues, workarounds, etc.
>
> 2. Connecting to a cable/DSL modem via USB is not the best way. If you
> have the ability to use ethernet on that modem, do that instead or
> consider switching to a modem with an ethernet connection that is
> supported by your ISP.

Have no possibility to use ethernet (as wrote above)
But the problem is not with the hardware as under XP SP2 the same
things worked perfectly! (I'm using Vista since a couple of days now)

> 3. Instead of doing ICS, consider purchasing a router instead which will
> work with your modem. Most routers connect via ethernet and not USB, so
> bear that in mind relative to #1 and #2.

My INTERNET CONNECTION gets asleep whenever there is a ICS working /
active or not.
Moreover - the problem does not rely on connection sharing as my
laptop has the net at any time if Vista is ON (and no matter whether
this connection at Vista has already got asleep or not, net at XP
works perfectly). So: THE PROBLEM IS WITH VISTA.

> 4. Contact Skype for any issues with their services. There have been
> reports of quite a few difficulties using Skype with Vista. Google for
> them on both the Web and in Google Groups.

Don't think it could be Skype feature (have the latest, not beta
version); it works perfectly as any other program which does not
demand new connections to be made (so an active FTP transfer will
work, but the web, e-mail not); the same applies to Skype - after
Internet going down if I restart Skype - it will not connect either
(as it demand a new connection to be made)

> 5. The same advice I already gave you for NIC drivers goes for USB
> drivers. The USB drivers will be on your motherboard.

errmm... you are treating me like a total noob... sorry, but I've
already written a manufacturer of a modem (Sagem) and noticed that I
already have the drivers compatibile with my ADSL modem (there is only
one version of them which are compatibile with Vista OS)
Supposing - the drivers are corrupted/bad/not compatible - the
Internet connection sharing would then not be working at laptop (XP)
if net got asleep at a main PC (Vista)

M4ciek

Re: Internet connection hangs up after a random time - only restart helps!
> OK, so your computer is connecting to the modem via a USB port instead
> of with a NIC.

I have no other possibility....

M4ciek wrote:

> My INTERNET CONNECTION gets asleep whenever there is a ICS working /
> active or not.
> Moreover - the problem does not rely on connection sharing as my
> laptop has the net at any time if Vista is ON (and no matter whether
> this connection at Vista has already got asleep or not, net at XP
> works perfectly). So: THE PROBLEM IS WITH VISTA.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the problem is with Vista. I'm
suggesting that the issue is probably with drivers for Vista for the
modem and/or the USB drivers on the Vista machine (which is why it works
fine with XP) and/or non-standard ways of using the Internet connection
(ICS) which may not work well in Vista and/or non-Vista-compliant
programs (Skype). It could be any of those things and any combination of
those things.

Look, whenever you set up anything technical - particularly networking -
with *any* operating systems - the best way to do it is the simplest,
least complex way. You've got at least 3 parts to your setup which add
to the complexity. I'm saying that the best way to deal with this is to
reduce your complexity by doing the following:

1. Use a DSL modem that has ethernet and a router to do NAT instead of
ICS. Make sure it is compatible with Vista.
2. Or use a DSL combo modem/router that connects via ethernet. Make sure
it is compatible with Vista.
3. Can't give you any answers on the Skype because I don't use it but I
do know from reading these groups that Skype has issues with Vista.

If you don't want to do any of the above practical steps, then you have
to troubleshoot all of your complexities one at a time. Remove Skype and
ICS and troubleshoot whether the machine loses connectivity while
directly connected to the modem. Test extensively. If all is well, add
back the next layer of complexity and test that. If all is not well,
focus the troubleshooting on whether the problem exists with the modem
drivers or the computer drivers. Etc. No one but you can do that because
you're the one sitting in front of the computer. If you were looking for
a "magic button" to push to make this all better, I'm sorry but there
isn't one.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
M4ciek

Re: Internet connection hangs up after a random time - only restart helps!
> If you don't want to do any of the above practical steps, then you have
> to troubleshoot all of your complexities one at a time. Remove Skype and
> ICS and troubleshoot whether the machine loses connectivity while
> directly connected to the modem. Test extensively. If all is well, add
> back the next layer of complexity and test that. If all is not well,
> focus the troubleshooting on whether the problem exists with the modem
> drivers or the computer drivers. Etc. No one but you can do that because
> you're the one sitting in front of the computer. If you were looking for
> a "magic button" to push to make this all better, I'm sorry but there
> isn't one.

I think I got the clue (12h without any problems!)
I've done 2 steps:

1) uninstalled KB939653
2) disabled QoS in 2 places (one in properties of Internet Connection
and second in the gpedit.msc module (the QoS limits))