Gigabit is slow

JustinD

Gigabit is slow
I have a vista computer networked with a network attached storage box. Both
are running g-bit cards and are hooked up to a g-bit switch. I only get
transfer rates of around 12.9 m-bytes per second which is not much
improvement over the 8 m-bytes i was getting on my 100 m-bit switch. I have
disable remote differential compression but that didn't help.
Jeffrey Randow

Re: Gigabit is slow
Remember that your NIC transfer rate is only part of the equation.
Your hard drive has a limited transfer rate + the overhead of Windows
when copying. That could be part of the reason why your connection is
slower than what you feel it should be.

-
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:15:01 -0700, JustinD
<JustinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a vista computer networked with a network attached storage box. Both
>are running g-bit cards and are hooked up to a g-bit switch. I only get
>transfer rates of around 12.9 m-bytes per second which is not much
>improvement over the 8 m-bytes i was getting on my 100 m-bit switch. I have
>disable remote differential compression but that didn't help.

JustinD

Re: Gigabit is slow
Well, my vista comp is a c2d e660 over clocked to 3 ghz, 2gb ram, sata 3.0
160gb hdd. My nas box is a p4 2.6 with 512 ram, ata100 500gb hdd. I would
have to think I should be getting more throughput.

"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:

> Remember that your NIC transfer rate is only part of the equation.
> Your hard drive has a limited transfer rate + the overhead of Windows
> when copying. That could be part of the reason why your connection is
> slower than what you feel it should be.
>
> -
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net
>

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:15:01 -0700, JustinD
> <JustinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a vista computer networked with a network attached storage box. Both
> >are running g-bit cards and are hooked up to a g-bit switch. I only get
> >transfer rates of around 12.9 m-bytes per second which is not much
> >improvement over the 8 m-bytes i was getting on my 100 m-bit switch. I have
> >disable remote differential compression but that didn't help.

DevilsPGD

Re: Gigabit is slow
In message <C2B5B87C-D425-40E9-9042-3A1659531432@microsoft.com> JustinD
<JustinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Well, my vista comp is a c2d e660 over clocked to 3 ghz, 2gb ram, sata 3.0
>160gb hdd. My nas box is a p4 2.6 with 512 ram, ata100 500gb hdd. I would
>have to think I should be getting more throughput.

You could well be hitting the limits of the ATA100 drive before any
others. Also, depending on the chipset and motherboard design in place,
they may not be able to handle anything near gig-e speeds sustained.

(For example, if both the IDE and gig-e controllers are on the same PCI
bus, you'll hit the bus' limits before anything else)

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
W J Rushton

Re: Gigabit is slow
Make sure you have the very latest drivers for the card in question, I had
the same problem with the Microsoft driver, but as soon as i loaded the
correct driver from HP's website the transfer rate shot up to what it should
have been before.

John

"JustinD" <JustinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a vista computer networked with a network attached storage box.
> Both
> are running g-bit cards and are hooked up to a g-bit switch. I only get
> transfer rates of around 12.9 m-bytes per second which is not much
> improvement over the 8 m-bytes i was getting on my 100 m-bit switch. I
> have
> disable remote differential compression but that didn't help.

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Gigabit is slow
Let's just say that sometimes I would be happy getting your
throughput...

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 00:19:12 -0700, JustinD
<JustinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Well, my vista comp is a c2d e660 over clocked to 3 ghz, 2gb ram, sata 3.0
>160gb hdd. My nas box is a p4 2.6 with 512 ram, ata100 500gb hdd. I would
>have to think I should be getting more throughput.
>
>"Jeffrey Randow" wrote:
>
>> Remember that your NIC transfer rate is only part of the equation.
>> Your hard drive has a limited transfer rate + the overhead of Windows
>> when copying. That could be part of the reason why your connection is
>> slower than what you feel it should be.
>>
>> -
>> Jeffrey Randow
>> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
>> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
>> http://www.networkblog.net
>>

>> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:15:01 -0700, JustinD
>> <JustinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a vista computer networked with a network attached storage box. Both
>> >are running g-bit cards and are hooked up to a g-bit switch. I only get
>> >transfer rates of around 12.9 m-bytes per second which is not much
>> >improvement over the 8 m-bytes i was getting on my 100 m-bit switch. I have
>> >disable remote differential compression but that didn't help.

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Gigabit is slow
That was my thought..

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:47:26 -0600, DevilsPGD
<spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>In message <C2B5B87C-D425-40E9-9042-3A1659531432@microsoft.com> JustinD
><JustinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Well, my vista comp is a c2d e660 over clocked to 3 ghz, 2gb ram, sata 3.0
>>160gb hdd. My nas box is a p4 2.6 with 512 ram, ata100 500gb hdd. I would
>>have to think I should be getting more throughput.

>You could well be hitting the limits of the ATA100 drive before any
>others. Also, depending on the chipset and motherboard design in place,
>they may not be able to handle anything near gig-e speeds sustained.
>
>(For example, if both the IDE and gig-e controllers are on the same PCI
>bus, you'll hit the bus' limits before anything else)

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Gigabit is slow
The only other thing I can think about is to make sure that the NIC is
set to work in Gigabit mode, full duplex is enabled, etc...

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

In message <7C83A43C-29CA-4827-AFC8-5F71CAF5B38F@microsoft.com> JustinD
<JustinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a vista computer networked with a network attached storage box. Both
>are running g-bit cards and are hooked up to a g-bit switch. I only get
>transfer rates of around 12.9 m-bytes per second which is not much
>improvement over the 8 m-bytes i was getting on my 100 m-bit switch. I have
>disable remote differential compression but that didn't help.

A couple other thoughts, what gigabit switch? A fair number of the
cheaper ones simply can't handle gigabit switches.

I had a first generation D-Link that could barely sustain 150Mb/s.
Swapping out nothing but the switch brought me to over 300Mb/s. You'll
probably need jumbo packets to go much faster, which I have not yet
attempted as I've got some devices that don't play nicely in that
environment.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
JustinD

Re: Gigabit is slow
It is a netgear business class 5 port switch so it is not an off brand or
anything. I ordered some cat6 cables to take place of the cat5es in my walls
so I'm going to have to fish those when they come.