Remote Desktop Access Hangs PC

Steve Barker

Remote Desktop Access Hangs PC
I have Vista Ultimate and have been using it for several months. For the
last 3 weeks or so, my Remote Desktop sessions hang on the "Welcome" message
when I connect. The only way out of it, is for me to physically power the
remote system off/on. The remote and client systems are on my home LAN so
it's no big deal, other than the fact that I have to constatntly power the
remote pc off/on.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you
Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop Access Hangs PC
Hello Steve,

Try following these instructions and see if it will help you. Run a command
prompt (cmd.exe) as an Administrator.

-Type netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

If you want to to re-enable it:

- Type: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Please write back to let us know if it works or not.

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

"Steve Barker" <SteveBarker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Ultimate and have been using it for several months. For the
> last 3 weeks or so, my Remote Desktop sessions hang on the "Welcome"
> message
> when I connect. The only way out of it, is for me to physically power the
> remote system off/on. The remote and client systems are on my home LAN so
> it's no big deal, other than the fact that I have to constatntly power the
> remote pc off/on.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?
>
> Thank you

Steve Barker

Re: Remote Desktop Access Hangs PC
Thank you for the timely response!

I've seen thi solution in the knowledgebase - when I try the command i
receive the following response:

"Set global command failed on IPv4 The requested operation requires
elevation."

I've since disabled CA Firewall * - it lloks like the problem began when I
upgraded to the latest version of CA Internet Suite. Unfortunately, I had to
upgrade my CA license keys to v8 so I can't go back.

For now I'll just use Windows firewall. Later today, I will try to logon
as Admin and retry the command. I will let you know what happens when I try
the command as Admin.

BTW, why do I receive that error if my logon is an Admin logon?

Thanx again,

Steve

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Hello Steve,
>
> Try following these instructions and see if it will help you. Run a command
> prompt (cmd.exe) as an Administrator.
>
> -Type netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
>
> If you want to to re-enable it:
>
> - Type: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
>
> Please write back to let us know if it works or not.
>
> --
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "Steve Barker" <SteveBarker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista Ultimate and have been using it for several months. For the
> > last 3 weeks or so, my Remote Desktop sessions hang on the "Welcome"
> > message
> > when I connect. The only way out of it, is for me to physically power the
> > remote system off/on. The remote and client systems are on my home LAN so
> > it's no big deal, other than the fact that I have to constatntly power the
> > remote pc off/on.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this?
> >
> > Thank you

Steve Barker

Re: Remote Desktop Access Hangs PC
Ok Eric -

1) I finally learned how to use "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" and was able to start
the Command Prompt with Admin privileges. Help & Support indicated that
certain programs run with regular user privileges, even if started by an
Admin account, so that answers my "elevation" question. I was able to apply
the netsh change you suggested.

2) My PC still hung I have now uninstalled the CA Personal Firewall and so
far so good. I'll let you know if it hangs again.

Thank you for the assistance!