Wireless Router Questions

vermin93

Wireless Router Questions
New to the home pc, so I have several questions to make sure I am setting
things up properly. I have a Sony Vaio with Vista. It came with built in
wireless.

- Other than price, what is the difference between Linksys Wireless-G and
Linksys Wireless-N?

- I've heard that the location of the router can make a large difference in
connectivity. Is there a recommended location?

- What is an "access point"? What is is used for? How does it work in
relation to a router?

- How can I setup the wireless router so that only my laptop(s) will be able
to connect?

- I am looking at getting a printer as well. How does that work with a
router? Do I need to get a wireless printer, or can I somehow connect a
printer to a wireless router so that more than one pc can print to the
printer.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Meinolf Weber

Re: Wireless Router Questions
Hello vermin93,

see inline

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> New to the home pc, so I have several questions to make sure I am
> setting things up properly. I have a Sony Vaio with Vista. It came
> with built in wireless.
>
> - Other than price, what is the difference between Linksys Wireless-G
> and Linksys Wireless-N?

This is not Linksys this is Microsoft NG, please post there and read your
manual

> - I've heard that the location of the router can make a large
> difference in connectivity. Is there a recommended location?

Nereby the computer is always the best.

> - What is an "access point"? What is is used for? How does it work in
> relation to a router?

A connectivity device to prolonge the distance to the router.

> - How can I setup the wireless router so that only my laptop(s) will
> be able to connect?

This is not Linksys this is Microsoft NG, please post there and read your
manual

> - I am looking at getting a printer as well. How does that work with a
> router? Do I need to get a wireless printer, or can I somehow connect
> a printer to a wireless router so that more than one pc can print to
> the printer.

This is not Linksys this is Microsoft NG, please post there and read your
manual. Also you can look in the manual for network printer configuration.

> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless Router Questions

1 draft N is fast and covers more distance than G
2 most definitely. you want to avoid walls, ceilings, duct work,
furniture, large appliances, mirrors, etc. a lot depends on the
building materials used in your location as well.
3. wireless routers have an embedded access point. you can also
purchase a stand alone access points and in many cases you can
change a router into an access point. a wireless router will handle
protecting you from the nasties on the Internet, provide wired and
wireless access in a single box.
4. You should use WPA2 for wireless security and not give the
passphrase to anyone else.
5. some printers include wifi networking. you can purchase a
wireless print server as an add on. you can also purchase printers
with built in ethernet that you can connect to a port on your
router.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
vermin93

Re: Wireless Router Questions
Great info! Thank you, Barb.

Follow-up question:
Does either the Linksys G or the Linksys N "play nice" with Vista more so
than the other? Seems like I've been seeing a lot of wireless connectivity
challenges with Vista, but I do not (yet) have the depth of knowledge to
follow all that is being said.

Thanks again!

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> 1 draft N is fast and covers more distance than G
> 2 most definitely. you want to avoid walls, ceilings, duct work,
> furniture, large appliances, mirrors, etc. a lot depends on the
> building materials used in your location as well.
> 3. wireless routers have an embedded access point. you can also
> purchase a stand alone access points and in many cases you can
> change a router into an access point. a wireless router will handle
> protecting you from the nasties on the Internet, provide wired and
> wireless access in a single box.
> 4. You should use WPA2 for wireless security and not give the
> passphrase to anyone else.
> 5. some printers include wifi networking. you can purchase a
> wireless print server as an add on. you can also purchase printers
> with built in ethernet that you can connect to a port on your
> router.
>
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 06:50:01 -0700, vermin93
> <vermin93@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >New to the home pc, so I have several questions to make sure I am setting
> >things up properly. I have a Sony Vaio with Vista. It came with built in
> >wireless.
> >
> >- Other than price, what is the difference between Linksys Wireless-G and
> >Linksys Wireless-N?
> >
> >- I've heard that the location of the router can make a large difference in
> >connectivity. Is there a recommended location?
> >
> >- What is an "access point"? What is is used for? How does it work in
> >relation to a router?
> >
> >- How can I setup the wireless router so that only my laptop(s) will be able
> >to connect?
> >
> >- I am looking at getting a printer as well. How does that work with a
> >router? Do I need to get a wireless printer, or can I somehow connect a
> >printer to a wireless router so that more than one pc can print to the
> >printer.
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any assistance.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless Router Questions
Anything on
http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...=v&cid=712&g=d
*should* work fine.

I am using a D-Link DIR 655 Draft N router that works beautifully

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:28:00 -0700, vermin93

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP