Remote Assistance over Local Network ???

Blue Max

Remote Assistance over Local Network ???
We need some help providing remote assistance over our local network. The
connection needs to be provided from a computer running Windows Vista
Ultimate to a computer running Windows XP Professional. At this point, the
computers can connect over the network and share files without any problem,
so the network seems to be working fine. Likewise, the XP computer can
request remote assistance from the Visa computer through email and the
computers connect using that method just fine.

On the other hand, we CANNOT send an assistance request directly over the
network by offering help using a computer name or IP address. When we
attempt to offer help using a computer name or IP address, we get the error
message "Your offer to help could not be sent." The dialog also suggests
several things to check such as permissions, whether computer is ON, or
network problems.

We have checked all these items and feel that everything should be in order,
except one aspect as follows: The help subjects on remote assistance
suggest that the destination computer should have an "Offer Remote
Assistance Helpers" group and that the person offering assistance needs to
be listed as a member of that group. However, after researching, we cannot
find this group on any of our Vista or XP computers, even though help on
'Default User Groups" lists that group as a default group. Nonetheless, we
do find a "Remote Desktop Users" group and have added the person offering
assistance to that group, but to no avail. Can someone direct us to an
article or provide some specific steps that will allow us to make the proper
Remote Assistance connection directly over the local network?

Two other parting questions: FIRST, why in the world did Microsoft remove
the VOICE capabilities from remote assistance in the Vista version of
Windows? SECOND, is there any way to place a Remote Assistance icon on the
desktop or start menu?

Thanks for any help on this subject.

Sooner Al [MVP]

RE: Remote Assistance over Local Network ???
Is this in a work group environment? I know that you can not use the "offer"
functionality in a work group environment with XP but can with Vista Ultimate
and I presume Business edition.

A work around is to create the invitation files on the XP boxes and transfer
them to the Vista box. See this procedure which should also work for Vista
Home editions.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ssistance.html
--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

rights...

"Blue Max" wrote:

> We need some help providing remote assistance over our local network. The
> connection needs to be provided from a computer running Windows Vista
> Ultimate to a computer running Windows XP Professional. At this point, the
> computers can connect over the network and share files without any problem,
> so the network seems to be working fine. Likewise, the XP computer can
> request remote assistance from the Visa computer through email and the
> computers connect using that method just fine.
>
> On the other hand, we CANNOT send an assistance request directly over the
> network by offering help using a computer name or IP address. When we
> attempt to offer help using a computer name or IP address, we get the error
> message "Your offer to help could not be sent." The dialog also suggests
> several things to check such as permissions, whether computer is ON, or
> network problems.
>
> We have checked all these items and feel that everything should be in order,
> except one aspect as follows: The help subjects on remote assistance
> suggest that the destination computer should have an "Offer Remote
> Assistance Helpers" group and that the person offering assistance needs to
> be listed as a member of that group. However, after researching, we cannot
> find this group on any of our Vista or XP computers, even though help on
> 'Default User Groups" lists that group as a default group. Nonetheless, we
> do find a "Remote Desktop Users" group and have added the person offering
> assistance to that group, but to no avail. Can someone direct us to an
> article or provide some specific steps that will allow us to make the proper
> Remote Assistance connection directly over the local network?
>
> Two other parting questions: FIRST, why in the world did Microsoft remove
> the VOICE capabilities from remote assistance in the Vista version of
> Windows? SECOND, is there any way to place a Remote Assistance icon on the
> desktop or start menu?
>
> Thanks for any help on this subject.

Blue Max

Re: Remote Assistance over Local Network ???
Sooner A1,

Thank you for the reply. As you surmised, we are trying to use this feature
in a workgroup (peer-to-peer) environment that includes a Windows XP
Professional desktop (seeking the assistance) and a Windows Vista Ultimate
desktop (offering the assistance). Are you inferring that we "cannot use
the 'offer' functionality" with this configuration? If so, that is
interesting because the error message really gives no hint that this is an
illegal or incompatible configuration. I wish the error messages were more
explicit, since I don't recall any of the help articles indicating that this
configuration was a problem.

Regardless, the title of the article you referred us to seems to be right on
the money, thanks! We will read the article and trust it will give us some
great tips on setting up the remote service we need.

Thanks again.

*********************
> [...]
>> 'Default User Groups" lists that group as a default group. Nonetheless,
>> we
>> do find a "Remote Desktop Users" group and have added the person offering
>> assistance to that group, but to no avail. Can someone direct us to an
>> article or provide some specific steps that will allow us to make the
>> proper
>> Remote Assistance connection directly over the local network?
>>
>> Two other parting questions: FIRST, why in the world did Microsoft
>> remove
>> the VOICE capabilities from remote assistance in the Vista version of
>> Windows? SECOND, is there any way to place a Remote Assistance icon on
>> the
>> desktop or start menu?
>>
>> Thanks for any help on this subject.

Blue Max

Re: Remote Assistance over Local Network ???
We have read the article as you suggested. We presume from the mere
existence of the article, that Windows XP did not have the feature for
"Offering" assistance, therefore, the fact that our other desktop is running
Windows Vista Ultimate is of no consequence, correct? Finally, the article
gives good instructions on setting up the service, but does not give any
details regarding 3rd party firewalls, such as McAfee or Norton Internet
Security. In Windows Firewall (XP SP2), we simply select an exception for
'Remote Assistance,' but it does not indicate which port is enabled by this
selection. If we are not using Windows firewall, but a 3rd party firewall,
which port do we need to enable?

Thank You

********************
> [...]
>> 'Default User Groups" lists that group as a default group. Nonetheless,
>> we
>> do find a "Remote Desktop Users" group and have added the person offering
>> assistance to that group, but to no avail. Can someone direct us to an
>> article or provide some specific steps that will allow us to make the
>> proper
>> Remote Assistance connection directly over the local network?
>>
>> Two other parting questions: FIRST, why in the world did Microsoft
>> remove
>> the VOICE capabilities from remote assistance in the Vista version of
>> Windows? SECOND, is there any way to place a Remote Assistance icon on
>> the
>> desktop or start menu?
>>
>> Thanks for any help on this subject.

Blue Max

Re: Remote Assistance over Local Network ???
Please disregard our second reply regarding the 3rd party firewall. We were
able to resolve that issue. The article you linked us to was extremely
useful and we have been able to make the proper remote assistance connection
over our network following those instructions. The only issue that was not
addressed leads us to one remaining question as follows:

When we connect to the remote computer, in order to render assistance, the
other party is still required to answer yes to two dialogs before full
control is granted (just like in any other remote assistance session).
First, a dialog requests permission to connect. Second, a dialog requests
permission to take over control of the remote computer's desktop. Is there
any way to set this help option up so that the administrator can immediately
connect to the remote computer and take control of the mouse without the
person being helped having to respond or give permission by means of the
dialogs?

Thanks