vista bussines on win xp pro lan

proboscideo

vista bussines on win xp pro lan
I am trying to connect a PC with Vista bussines to a local network with Win
XP Pro.
I can see the PC,s with vista but I can't see the others PC with xp. Pings
are okey. Vista founds the LAn Network but not the server (XP Pro) and the
other PC with XP.
Probably my explanation is not very clear (my english is very poor). Tell me
what other data you need.
TIA
Chuck [MVP]

Re: vista bussines on win xp pro lan
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:31:00 -0700, proboscideo
<proboscideo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am trying to connect a PC with Vista bussines to a local network with Win
>XP Pro.
>I can see the PC,s with vista but I can't see the others PC with xp. Pings
>are okey. Vista founds the LAn Network but not the server (XP Pro) and the
>other PC with XP.
>Probably my explanation is not very clear (my english is very poor). Tell me
>what other data you need.
>TIA

I would suspect a personal firewall problem, or the NetBT setting, blocking
Server Message Blocks.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

Try to diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig
/all", from each computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
proboscideo

Re: vista bussines on win xp pro lan

I forgot to explain that the PC with Vista bussines can connect to Internet
without any problem. The links you provided to me: I read all because i
follow all the relative threads from june. The firewalls (windows and NIS are
closed).
Any other advise?
Thank you very much

Proboscideo
"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:31:00 -0700, proboscideo
> <proboscideo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am trying to connect a PC with Vista bussines to a local network with Win
> >XP Pro.
> >I can see the PC,s with vista but I can't see the others PC with xp. Pings
> >are okey. Vista founds the LAn Network but not the server (XP Pro) and the
> >other PC with XP.
> >Probably my explanation is not very clear (my english is very poor). Tell me
> >what other data you need.
> >TIA

> I would suspect a personal firewall problem, or the NetBT setting, blocking
> Server Message Blocks.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>
> Try to diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig
> /all", from each computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
> instructions precisely (download browstat!):
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: vista bussines on win xp pro lan
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:10:00 -0700, proboscideo
<proboscideo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:31:00 -0700, proboscideo
>> <proboscideo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I am trying to connect a PC with Vista bussines to a local network with Win
>> >XP Pro.
>> >I can see the PC,s with vista but I can't see the others PC with xp. Pings
>> >are okey. Vista founds the LAn Network but not the server (XP Pro) and the
>> >other PC with XP.
>> >Probably my explanation is not very clear (my english is very poor). Tell me
>> >what other data you need.
>> >TIA

>> I would suspect a personal firewall problem, or the NetBT setting, blocking
>> Server Message Blocks.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>
>> Try to diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig
>> /all", from each computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
>> instructions precisely (download browstat!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

>I forgot to explain that the PC with Vista bussines can connect to Internet
>without any problem. The links you provided to me: I read all because i
>follow all the relative threads from june. The firewalls (windows and NIS are
>closed).
>Any other advise?
>Thank you very much
>
>Proboscideo

Internet connectivity is straight Internet Protocol. Windows Networking (in
most cases) uses SMBs over IP. Personal firewalls may pass some IP traffic, and
block other traffic. Many devices and products contain filters, and will
interfere with SMBs.

I'd diagnose the problem. Either ipconfig / browstat (requested above), CDiag,
or CPSServ should help you narrow down the problem computer, by letting you look
for relational patterns. You will need to run whichever diagnostic chosen on
each computer, for maximum effectiveness.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/using-cdiag-without-assistance.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ssistance.html
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/04/cpsserv-comprehensive-psservice-source.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ce-source.html