Preventing connection to a wireless network

jen

Preventing connection to a wireless network
hi! Ok bear with me - but I'm not great with computers and certainly new to
windows vista. My problem is that everytime I turn my laptop on in work, the
computer automatically connects to a wireless network that I dont want rather
than my preferred network. For my unwanted network I have both "connect
automatically when this network is in range" and "connect even if the network
is not broadcasting" unticked, and the third box is greyed out. I have these
boxes ticked for my preferred network. I have tried deleting the network but
everytime I turn my computer on it automatically disconnects me from my
preferred network and connects to this one instead. I am just about ready to
fire my laptop out the window! Please help!!!
Ed Allan

RE: Preventing connection to a wireless network
This is the type of problem that MANY people who ended up with Vista on
laptops have had, and only a few people (NOT including me, yet) have been
able to solve.

I have a Gateway. Here is a link to a post by someone with an HP had

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...a598a261a4&p=1

Here is a link that describes the success that someone with a Sony had:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...sloc=en-us&p=1

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!!!

ed

"jen" wrote:

> hi! Ok bear with me - but I'm not great with computers and certainly new to
> windows vista. My problem is that everytime I turn my laptop on in work, the
> computer automatically connects to a wireless network that I dont want rather
> than my preferred network. For my unwanted network I have both "connect
> automatically when this network is in range" and "connect even if the network
> is not broadcasting" unticked, and the third box is greyed out. I have these
> boxes ticked for my preferred network. I have tried deleting the network but
> everytime I turn my computer on it automatically disconnects me from my
> preferred network and connects to this one instead. I am just about ready to
> fire my laptop out the window! Please help!!!

Mick Murphy

RE: Preventing connection to a wireless network

Wireless networking in vista

"jen" wrote:

> hi! Ok bear with me - but I'm not great with computers and certainly new to
> windows vista. My problem is that everytime I turn my laptop on in work, the
> computer automatically connects to a wireless network that I dont want rather
> than my preferred network. For my unwanted network I have both "connect
> automatically when this network is in range" and "connect even if the network
> is not broadcasting" unticked, and the third box is greyed out. I have these
> boxes ticked for my preferred network. I have tried deleting the network but
> everytime I turn my computer on it automatically disconnects me from my
> preferred network and connects to this one instead. I am just about ready to
> fire my laptop out the window! Please help!!!

Ed Allan

RE: Preventing connection to a wireless network

Thanks, Mick. Having been able to connect through a LAN, I went to the link
you provided and tried the recommendations for manual connection. And it did
not work.

I hope that when the service pack comes out, Microsoft will decide to fix
their sorely defective wireless connection, which is far inferior to what was
available under XP. (WARNING TO OTHERS: Do NOT spill coffee into a laptop
that is running XP, or else you may be stuck with one that runs (if you will
excuse the expression) Vista.)

ed