File sharing can not be turned on

churin

File sharing can not be turned on
This is about my home network. It was working but suddenly no other PC
is accessible from one of the three PCs. I reviewed Network and Sharing
Center and noticed that File sharing, Public folder sharing and Printer
sharing are all off. I attempted to turn them on but could not.

There is no such problem if Windows XP is used on the problem PC
hardware. There is no access problem between other two PCs in the same
network whether the OS is Vista or XP.

I wonder what could have happend with this particular PC. I have
reviewed the help file but could not find solution. Could anyone help?
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: File sharing can not be turned on
Please post back with the result of net share command on the Vista.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Robert L (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Please post back with the result of net share command on the Vista.

Thanks for your response. The following is the result:

> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> C:\Users\Kaz>net share
>
> Share name Resource Remark

> ADMIN$ C:\Windows Remote Admin
> C$ C:\ Default share
> X$ X:\ Default share
> D$ D:\ Default share
> E$ E:\ Default share
> F$ F:\ Default share
> G$ G:\ Default share
> H$ H:\ Default share
> IPC$ Remote IPC
> print$ C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers
> Printer Drivers
> Y$ Y:\ Default share
> D D:\
> Public C:\Users\Public
> The command completed successfully.
>

> C:\Users\Kaz>

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: File sharing can not be turned on
Does the Network and Sharing center shows Unidentified Network?

--

> Robert L (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Please post back with the result of net share command on the Vista.
>>

> Thanks for your response. The following is the result:
>
>> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
>> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>
>> C:\Users\Kaz>net share
>>
>> Share name Resource Remark

>> ADMIN$ C:\Windows Remote Admin
>> C$ C:\ Default share
>> X$ X:\ Default share
>> D$ D:\ Default share
>> E$ E:\ Default share
>> F$ F:\ Default share
>> G$ G:\ Default share
>> H$ H:\ Default share
>> IPC$ Remote IPC
>> print$ C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers
>> Printer Drivers
>> Y$ Y:\ Default share
>> D D:\
>> Public C:\Users\Public
>> The command completed successfully.
>>

>> C:\Users\Kaz>

churin

Robert L (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Does the Network and Sharing center shows Unidentified Network?

No, I do not see "Unidentified Network" on the display of Network and
Sharing center.
churin

churin wrote:
> Robert L (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Does the Network and Sharing center shows Unidentified Network?
>>

> No, I do not see "Unidentified Network" on the display of Network and
> Sharing center.

I am pleased to report that the problem has been resolved. I found that
"File and Printer Sharing" and "Network Discovery" were missing from the
Exception list for the Firewall(built in Vista). I added these and
placed check mark on each, then the problem was resolved. I just do not
know why missing those items from the list ever happened.
Thanks anyway for trying to help me.
Jeffrey Randow

Re: File sharing can not be turned on
Depending on how you classify the particular network. If you are
"Public" you will have those services blocked..

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:25:52 -0400, churin <churin@new.postalias>
wrote:

>churin wrote:
>> Robert L (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>> Does the Network and Sharing center shows Unidentified Network?
>>>

>> No, I do not see "Unidentified Network" on the display of Network and
>> Sharing center.

>I am pleased to report that the problem has been resolved. I found that
>"File and Printer Sharing" and "Network Discovery" were missing from the
> Exception list for the Firewall(built in Vista). I added these and
>placed check mark on each, then the problem was resolved. I just do not
>know why missing those items from the list ever happened.
>Thanks anyway for trying to help me.

churin

Re: File sharing can not be turned on
Thanks for your response.
The network was classified as or set as "Private network".

I had access problem with other machine in the past and at that time
cause of the problem was found to be that it was set as "Public" and
changing it to "Private" resolved the problem. So I am very much aware
of what you mentioned.

I do not remember that with this particular machine if the network ever
set as "Public" or not. Suppose it was onece set as Public, but I assume
that only the check marks are removed from certain list items such as
"Network Discovery". Maybe for some reason those entries needed for
Private networking were deleted instead when it was set as Public.

Another thing I should mention is that this installtion of Vista is done
by restoring backup image of an installed and working Vista. It could be
that the network access problem began when the OS was restored. If
this is the case then there could be flaw in either back up process or
restore process.

Jeffrey Randow wrote:
> Depending on how you classify the particular network. If you are
> "Public" you will have those services blocked..
>
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow
> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
> http://www.networkblog.net
>
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:25:52 -0400, churin <churin@new.postalias>
> wrote:
>
>> churin wrote:
>>>>
>>> No, I do not see "Unidentified Network" on the display of Network and
>>> Sharing center.

>> I am pleased to report that the problem has been resolved. I found that
>> "File and Printer Sharing" and "Network Discovery" were missing from the
>> Exception list for the Firewall(built in Vista). I added these and
>> placed check mark on each, then the problem was resolved. I just do not
>> know why missing those items from the list ever happened.
>> Thanks anyway for trying to help me.

Jeffrey Randow

Re: File sharing can not be turned on
I think if it is unknown, it is treated as Public until it is
otherwise changed...

---

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:19:30 -0400, churin <churin@new.postalias>
wrote:

>Thanks for your response.
>The network was classified as or set as "Private network".
>
>I had access problem with other machine in the past and at that time
>cause of the problem was found to be that it was set as "Public" and
>changing it to "Private" resolved the problem. So I am very much aware
>of what you mentioned.
>
>I do not remember that with this particular machine if the network ever
>set as "Public" or not. Suppose it was onece set as Public, but I assume
>that only the check marks are removed from certain list items such as
>"Network Discovery". Maybe for some reason those entries needed for
>Private networking were deleted instead when it was set as Public.
>
>Another thing I should mention is that this installtion of Vista is done
>by restoring backup image of an installed and working Vista. It could be
> that the network access problem began when the OS was restored. If
>this is the case then there could be flaw in either back up process or
>restore process.
>
>Jeffrey Randow wrote:
>> Depending on how you classify the particular network. If you are
>> "Public" you will have those services blocked..
>>
>> ---
>> Jeffrey Randow
>> jeffreycentex@gmail.com
>> Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
>> http://www.networkblog.net
>>
>> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:25:52 -0400, churin <churin@new.postalias>
>> wrote:

>>> I am pleased to report that the problem has been resolved. I found that
>>> "File and Printer Sharing" and "Network Discovery" were missing from the
>>> Exception list for the Firewall(built in Vista). I added these and
>>> placed check mark on each, then the problem was resolved. I just do not
>>> know why missing those items from the list ever happened.
>>> Thanks anyway for trying to help me.

Jeffrey Randow

Re: File sharing can not be turned on
How did you do the backup/restore?