wireless won't connect

flieger

wireless won't connect
I have a new HP laptop, and a wireless dsl router we've had for awhile. Two
other computers work normally on the wireless but the new HP with Vista won't
connect. All firewalls are off, all the settings are basic, no encryption,
and as far as I can tell the router and computer have the same settings.
Vista shows the SSID and good signal strength, but won't connect. I did cmd
netsh wlan connect "name" and get error 0X57. Is this a clue to what is wrong?
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: wireless won't connect
It could be hardware or software issues. You may try MS update first. If
that doesn't work, try to find if there is a new firmware for the router or
driver for NIC. Or this link may help too.

Vista Wireless IssuesVista: Common Problems with 802.11 Wireless ...
Inability to Connect and the wireless doesn't receive the single. 1) It
could be the Wireless adapter driver ...
http://www.wifimvp.com/vistawireless.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"flieger" <flieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new HP laptop, and a wireless dsl router we've had for awhile. Two
> other computers work normally on the wireless but the new HP with Vista
> won't
> connect. All firewalls are off, all the settings are basic, no encryption,
> and as far as I can tell the router and computer have the same settings.
> Vista shows the SSID and good signal strength, but won't connect. I did
> cmd
> netsh wlan connect "name" and get error 0X57. Is this a clue to what is
> wrong?

flieger

Re: wireless won't connect
Any idea what the 0X57 error is? I can't find any information on it.

Vista says it's a "hidden" network although obviously it isn't as the SSID
is visible.
Any clue there?

I got online with Verizon the router provider, they updated the software in
the router. Also updated Windows Vista. The wireless still doesn't connect.
HP online chat was of no help. You would think a brand new computer should
plug and play without these issues.

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It could be hardware or software issues. You may try MS update first. If
> that doesn't work, try to find if there is a new firmware for the router or
> driver for NIC. Or this link may help too.
>
> Vista Wireless IssuesVista: Common Problems with 802.11 Wireless ...
> Inability to Connect and the wireless doesn't receive the single. 1) It
> could be the Wireless adapter driver ...
> http://www.wifimvp.com/vistawireless.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "flieger" <flieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new HP laptop, and a wireless dsl router we've had for awhile. Two
> > other computers work normally on the wireless but the new HP with Vista
> > won't
> > connect. All firewalls are off, all the settings are basic, no encryption,
> > and as far as I can tell the router and computer have the same settings.
> > Vista shows the SSID and good signal strength, but won't connect. I did
> > cmd
> > netsh wlan connect "name" and get error 0X57. Is this a clue to what is
> > wrong?

Barb Bowman

Re: wireless won't connect
did you change the SSID name from whatever the default was? if there
is another SSID in range with the same default name, it could
explain the problem. and then again..

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:40:03 -0700, flieger
<flieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a new HP laptop, and a wireless dsl router we've had for awhile. Two
>other computers work normally on the wireless but the new HP with Vista won't
>connect. All firewalls are off, all the settings are basic, no encryption,
>and as far as I can tell the router and computer have the same settings.
>Vista shows the SSID and good signal strength, but won't connect. I did cmd
>netsh wlan connect "name" and get error 0X57. Is this a clue to what is wrong?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
flieger

Re: wireless won't connect
We are in a rural area so that's unlikely.
Any idea what the 0X57 error means?

After reading some of the other troubleshooting links, I'm wondering if
Norton AV has something to do with it? It is a new computer and I haven't
really got to use it yet, not even familiar with all the software that's on
it.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> did you change the SSID name from whatever the default was? if there
> is another SSID in range with the same default name, it could
> explain the problem. and then again..
>
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:40:03 -0700, flieger
> <flieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a new HP laptop, and a wireless dsl router we've had for awhile. Two
> >other computers work normally on the wireless but the new HP with Vista won't
> >connect. All firewalls are off, all the settings are basic, no encryption,
> >and as far as I can tell the router and computer have the same settings.
> >Vista shows the SSID and good signal strength, but won't connect. I did cmd
> >netsh wlan connect "name" and get error 0X57. Is this a clue to what is wrong?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: wireless won't connect
OH, Norton could indeed be an issue. I believe you have to
explicitly allow the subnet through the firewall app. I won't use
Norton here, but perhaps someone who does use it will have the steps
you need to take.

I don't know what the 0x57 error is - what router are you using
exactly and does it have the latest firmware? I have seen some
wireless issues on DSL combo modem/routers that were resolved with
firmware updates.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:56:08 -0700, flieger
<flieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We are in a rural area so that's unlikely.
>Any idea what the 0X57 error means?
>
>After reading some of the other troubleshooting links, I'm wondering if
>Norton AV has something to do with it? It is a new computer and I haven't
>really got to use it yet, not even familiar with all the software that's on
>it.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> did you change the SSID name from whatever the default was? if there
>> is another SSID in range with the same default name, it could
>> explain the problem. and then again..
>>
>> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:40:03 -0700, flieger
>> <flieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a new HP laptop, and a wireless dsl router we've had for awhile. Two
>> >other computers work normally on the wireless but the new HP with Vista won't
>> >connect. All firewalls are off, all the settings are basic, no encryption,
>> >and as far as I can tell the router and computer have the same settings.
>> >Vista shows the SSID and good signal strength, but won't connect. I did cmd
>> >netsh wlan connect "name" and get error 0X57. Is this a clue to what is wrong?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
flieger

Re: wireless won't connect
I get the 0X57 error when I go to cmd prompt and run:
netsh wlan connect "profile-name"

The router/modem is Westell Versalink, Verizon version.
I installed the latest software into the router this morning but that didn't
help.

Windows can see the network with good signal strength but says it is not
responding.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> OH, Norton could indeed be an issue. I believe you have to
> explicitly allow the subnet through the firewall app. I won't use
> Norton here, but perhaps someone who does use it will have the steps
> you need to take.
>
> I don't know what the 0x57 error is - what router are you using
> exactly and does it have the latest firmware? I have seen some
> wireless issues on DSL combo modem/routers that were resolved with
> firmware updates.
>
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:56:08 -0700, flieger
> <flieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We are in a rural area so that's unlikely.
> >Any idea what the 0X57 error means?
> >
> >After reading some of the other troubleshooting links, I'm wondering if
> >Norton AV has something to do with it? It is a new computer and I haven't
> >really got to use it yet, not even familiar with all the software that's on
> >it.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> did you change the SSID name from whatever the default was? if there
> >> is another SSID in range with the same default name, it could
> >> explain the problem. and then again..

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: wireless won't connect
I just did a Google search on +Verizon Versalink Westell and the
news is not pretty. Example:

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=20026

See if there is a way to swap the router hardware for something
different.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:12:05 -0700, flieger
<flieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I get the 0X57 error when I go to cmd prompt and run:
>netsh wlan connect "profile-name"
>
>The router/modem is Westell Versalink, Verizon version.
>I installed the latest software into the router this morning but that didn't
>help.
>
>Windows can see the network with good signal strength but says it is not
>responding.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> OH, Norton could indeed be an issue. I believe you have to
>> explicitly allow the subnet through the firewall app. I won't use
>> Norton here, but perhaps someone who does use it will have the steps
>> you need to take.
>>
>> I don't know what the 0x57 error is - what router are you using
>> exactly and does it have the latest firmware? I have seen some
>> wireless issues on DSL combo modem/routers that were resolved with
>> firmware updates.
>>
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:56:08 -0700, flieger
>> <flieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >We are in a rural area so that's unlikely.
>> >Any idea what the 0X57 error means?
>> >
>> >After reading some of the other troubleshooting links, I'm wondering if
>> >Norton AV has something to do with it? It is a new computer and I haven't
>> >really got to use it yet, not even familiar with all the software that's on
>> >it.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
flieger

Re: wireless won't connect
Well it must be some incompatibility between the Westell and HP laptop/Vista,
I'll look around on
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/westell
and see if I can find any solutions.

I did get the HP to connect at a local coffee shop so that does point to
some issue with the router. It's annoying because my son has a new Mac laptop
and a Sony playstation that work fine on the Westell wireless.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> I just did a Google search on +Verizon Versalink Westell and the
> news is not pretty. Example:
>
> http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=20026
>
> See if there is a way to swap the router hardware for something
> different.
>
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:12:05 -0700, flieger
> <flieger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I get the 0X57 error when I go to cmd prompt and run:
> >netsh wlan connect "profile-name"
> >
> >The router/modem is Westell Versalink, Verizon version.
> >I installed the latest software into the router this morning but that didn't
> >help.
> >
> >Windows can see the network with good signal strength but says it is not
> >responding.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> OH, Norton could indeed be an issue. I believe you have to
> >> explicitly allow the subnet through the firewall app. I won't use
> >> Norton here, but perhaps someone who does use it will have the steps
> >> you need to take.
> >>
> >> I don't know what the 0x57 error is - what router are you using
> >> exactly and does it have the latest firmware? I have seen some
> >> wireless issues on DSL combo modem/routers that were resolved with
> >> firmware updates.

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: wireless won't connect
Yes, the impression I received after reading a few things was that
it is definitely the router. And if there still isn't firmware to
correct it, hopefully Verizon offers a different brand that is
compatible.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:40:00 -0700, flieger

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP