Home Networking

PJ

Home Networking
So I have read a few posts, but I can't seem to make sense of them to what is
going on with my computer. I have a laptop that runs XP and a desktop which
runs Vista. There are also 2 other computers on the network which are
desktops. One runs XP and the other Vista. All of them can see my Vista
desktop and put files in my public folder. I cannot access any of their
public folders even though everything is shared in my folders and in theirs
also. From day one I have never been able to access any one elses on my
Vista. What is frustrating is my roommate who has Vista can get into mine and
hers without a problem and didn't even need to set it up that way. We both
run the same version of Vista (home) Can anyone help me? I am trying to
migrate music with out an expensive cable or flash drive
--
Jenn
Mick Murphy

RE: Home Networking

Above info should help you.

"PJ" wrote:

> So I have read a few posts, but I can't seem to make sense of them to what is
> going on with my computer. I have a laptop that runs XP and a desktop which
> runs Vista. There are also 2 other computers on the network which are
> desktops. One runs XP and the other Vista. All of them can see my Vista
> desktop and put files in my public folder. I cannot access any of their
> public folders even though everything is shared in my folders and in theirs
> also. From day one I have never been able to access any one elses on my
> Vista. What is frustrating is my roommate who has Vista can get into mine and
> hers without a problem and didn't even need to set it up that way. We both
> run the same version of Vista (home) Can anyone help me? I am trying to
> migrate music with out an expensive cable or flash drive
> --
> Jenn

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Home Networking
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:51:00 -0700, PJ <PJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>So I have read a few posts, but I can't seem to make sense of them to what is
>going on with my computer. I have a laptop that runs XP and a desktop which
>runs Vista. There are also 2 other computers on the network which are
>desktops. One runs XP and the other Vista. All of them can see my Vista
>desktop and put files in my public folder. I cannot access any of their
>public folders even though everything is shared in my folders and in theirs
>also. From day one I have never been able to access any one elses on my
>Vista. What is frustrating is my roommate who has Vista can get into mine and
>hers without a problem and didn't even need to set it up that way. We both
>run the same version of Vista (home) Can anyone help me? I am trying to
>migrate music with out an expensive cable or flash drive

Jenn,

Networking computers running Windows Vista with other computers running Windows
XP can present challenges.

What specifically do you mean with "I cannot access ... (another computer)"?
Can you not see the other computers (In My Network Places, I presume)? Can you
see them, but clicking on one gives no response? Or clicking on one gives an
error message?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

You could maybe diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status" and
"ipconfig /all", from each computer. Read this article, and linked articles,
and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!) (note the Command window
in Windows Vista):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Paul Knudsen

wrote:

>What is frustrating is my roommate who has Vista can get into mine and
>hers without a problem and didn't even need to set it up that way. We both
>run the same version of Vista (home) Can anyone help me? I am trying to
>migrate music with out an expensive cable or flash drive
>--

Try Network Magic. Solved the problem here when nothing else would.

However, if your rooommates can access your drive, what is the
problem?