Netgear DG834 Router - possible helpful hints.

Dictionary option/Bob

Netgear DG834 Router - possible helpful hints.
As a relative novice, I had a real problem getting this contraption to work.
I wanted a newly pruchased Notebook to share my internet connection, without
the hassle of changing over cables etc. I opted for a wired configuration,
and purchased the Netgear DG834 because it says it is 'Vista ready' on the
box.
Both PC and Notebook are running Office 2007 on Vista Business, with Norton
2007.
After installing the Netgear software, the PC worked fine, and found an
internet connection straight away. But the Notebook refused to connect, it
showed the Windows Internet Explorer page, and searched endlessly for some
connection. No matter how long I left it to search, it could not make a
connection. It was also impossible to break this searching cycle, the only
way to exit the attempt was to power down. (I must have rebooted the
Notebook dozens of times over the last week).
Questions to Netgear and my ISP got me nowhere. I searched the Vista
Community sites for help, but most of the posted entries used jargon that was
unintelligible to me. But one stuck in my memory, someone in Chicago
mentioned that 'speed' might be an issue (with no other details of just how
speed might be an issue, or how to change this 'speed').
At the end of my tether (you have all been there!), I fiddled around for any
mention of speed on my Notebook and PC. Eventually I found the following,
which provided instant success. Maybe others might find it useful.
1. Firstly, load the Negear software on to the PC only, do not attempt to
load it into any additional computer to be connected to the DG834. (This
point is not made clear on the installation guide).
2. On Laptop: Go to Start Button >
3. Network >
4. Network Sharing Centre >
5. Manage Network Connections >
6. Right click Local Area Connection (Via Rhine II in my case) >
7. Select Properties >
8. Connect using: Select Configure >
9. Select Advanced >
10. Select Connection Type >
11. Change Value from the default of Automatic, to 10BaseT Half Duplex >
12. Select OK
13. Do the same on PC.
14.. Do not know which of the other settings might work. If anyone does,
please let me know.

Tom Allen

Re: Netgear DG834 Router - possible helpful hints.

"Dictionary option/Bob" <DictionaryoptionBob@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
> As a relative novice, I had a real problem getting this contraption to
> work.
> I wanted a newly pruchased Notebook to share my internet connection,
> without
> the hassle of changing over cables etc. I opted for a wired
> configuration,
> and purchased the Netgear DG834 because it says it is 'Vista ready' on
> the
> box.
> Both PC and Notebook are running Office 2007 on Vista Business, with
> Norton
> 2007.
> After installing the Netgear software, the PC worked fine, and found
> an
> internet connection straight away. But the Notebook refused to
> connect, it
> showed the Windows Internet Explorer page, and searched endlessly for
> some
> connection. No matter how long I left it to search, it could not make
> connection. It was also impossible to break this searching cycle, the
> only
> way to exit the attempt was to power down. (I must have rebooted the
> Notebook dozens of times over the last week).
> Questions to Netgear and my ISP got me nowhere. I searched the Vista
> Community sites for help, but most of the posted entries used jargon
> that was
> unintelligible to me. But one stuck in my memory, someone in Chicago
> mentioned that 'speed' might be an issue (with no other details of
> just how
> speed might be an issue, or how to change this 'speed').
> At the end of my tether (you have all been there!), I fiddled around
> for any
> mention of speed on my Notebook and PC. Eventually I found the
> following,
> which provided instant success. Maybe others might find it useful.
> 1. Firstly, load the Negear software on to the PC only, do not attempt
> load it into any additional computer to be connected to the DG834.
> (This
> point is not made clear on the installation guide).
> 2. On Laptop: Go to Start Button >
> 3. Network >
> 4. Network Sharing Centre >
> 5. Manage Network Connections >
> 6. Right click Local Area Connection (Via Rhine II in my case) >
> 7. Select Properties >
> 8. Connect using: Select Configure >
> 9. Select Advanced >
> 10. Select Connection Type >
> 11. Change Value from the default of Automatic, to 10BaseT Half Duplex
> >

> 12. Select OK
> 13. Do the same on PC.
> 14.. Do not know which of the other settings might work. If anyone
> does,
> please let me know.

Bob,

largely for my interest what is the 'Netgear Software' you have
installed on the PCs ?
I have used Netgear 814 and 834 V2 routers with Win 98, XP and Vista
with no problems but have never had to install any software on the PCs
and can find no reference to this in the Installation Guides. It should
just be a matter of configuring the LAN connection and the router.

For your interest - on my desktop XP and Vista PCs I have 'auto
negotiation' set for 'Link speed& duplex' ( I think that's the
equivalent of your Connection Type ) with integrated Intel LAN connects.

Tom

Dictionary option/Bob

"Tom Allen" wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> > 12. Select OK
> > 13. Do the same on PC.
> > 14.. Do not know which of the other settings might work. If anyone
> > does,
> > please let me know.
> >

> Bob,
>
> largely for my interest what is the 'Netgear Software' you have
> installed on the PCs ?
> I have used Netgear 814 and 834 V2 routers with Win 98, XP and Vista
> with no problems but have never had to install any software on the PCs
> and can find no reference to this in the Installation Guides. It should
> just be a matter of configuring the LAN connection and the router.
>
> For your interest - on my desktop XP and Vista PCs I have 'auto
> negotiation' set for 'Link speed& duplex' ( I think that's the
> equivalent of your Connection Type ) with integrated Intel LAN connects.

Perhaps my terminology is a bit off. I regard the installation disc
(Netgear Connect with Innovation) as software. Strange that I had so much
trouble installing the wretched gear; and if you look through the Community
Site, there appear to be many others that have had problems. I just wish
that some 'experts' would express themselves in 'everyday English', rather
than computer-speak, and explain clearly how they have tackled a problem. It
would certainly help those of us who are less proficient in the gobbledy-gook
of the computer world. Thanks for your reply.
Regards, Bob
Mick Murphy

Re: Netgear DG834 Router - possible helpful hints.
All the instructions are in the box when you buy a Netgear router!!!!

And it tells you to install the disk on ONE computer to set up your internet
and Network!!!!!!!!

"Dictionary option/Bob" wrote:

> [...]

> > For your interest - on my desktop XP and Vista PCs I have 'auto
> > negotiation' set for 'Link speed& duplex' ( I think that's the
> > equivalent of your Connection Type ) with integrated Intel LAN connects.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> > Hi Tom.

> Perhaps my terminology is a bit off. I regard the installation disc
> (Netgear Connect with Innovation) as software. Strange that I had so much
> trouble installing the wretched gear; and if you look through the Community
> Site, there appear to be many others that have had problems. I just wish
> that some 'experts' would express themselves in 'everyday English', rather
> than computer-speak, and explain clearly how they have tackled a problem. It
> would certainly help those of us who are less proficient in the gobbledy-gook
> of the computer world. Thanks for your reply.

Dwarf

Re: Netgear DG834 Router - possible helpful hints.
Hi,

There should be no need to install any Netgear software on your PC (or, for
those using different routers, any of their software) as they should work
with any computer whether it be running Windows Vista or any other operating
system. The only software that might be required is if you want to connect
wirelessly, and this is for the wireless adapter on your machine (best
results are obtained if the make of the router and wireless adapter are the
same). You may be required to install software initially, but this is only to
setup the parameters in your router to allow it to connect to your ISP - you
will need to contact them for this information. After your router has got the
information required to enable it to connect to your ISP, you can delete this
software. In fact, providing you have the information from your ISP and are
able to log into your routers setup routine, you don't need any sofware and
can enter this information manually directly into the router. Please note
that for setting up purposes, you must be connected via Ethernet - you can
setup for wireless once you are able to connect.
Dwarf