Networking Vista Laptop to Secure Home Network Wireless

Farringdon

Networking Vista Laptop to Secure Home Network Wireless
Alright, here goes.

I have a secure wireless and wired network with two desktops with XP
wired via ethernet. There working like champs, no problems. Network
is secured.

I now have new laptop with Vista Home Basic and I am trying to access
the network wireless. It will not allow me. I see the network but
it will not let me type in a password to access the network, which I
imagine would be the way to enter a secured network.

Does anyone know how I set up either the network on the XP desktops or
the Vista network on the laptop to give the laptop access to the
secure network?

Thank you
Jill

Barb Bowman

Re: Networking Vista Laptop to Secure Home Network Wireless
what kind of security? you say you are entering a password? are you
using WEP with a passphrase? if yes, be aware that

1. WEP is not safe
2. the passphrases for WEP utilities are usually a part of some
manufacturer's proprietary utility

suggest that you use WPA2 or at least WPA.

You don't mention what exact router you have. It may need a firmware
upgrade if it is an older one to support WPA.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Farringdon

On Oct 15, 1:02 pm, Barb Bowman <b...@nospam.com> wrote:
> what kind of security? you say you are entering a password? are you
> using WEP with a passphrase? if yes, be aware that
>
> 1. WEP is not safe
> 2. the passphrases for WEP utilities are usually a part of some
> manufacturer's proprietary utility
>
> suggest that you use WPA2 or at least WPA.
>
> You don't mention what exact router you have. It may need a firmware
> upgrade if it is an older one to support WPA.
>
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:18:13 -0700, Farringdon
>

> <jill.farring...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Alright, here goes.

> >I have a secure wireless and wired network with two desktops with XP
> >wired via ethernet. There working like champs, no problems. Network
> >is secured.

> >I now have new laptop with Vista Home Basic and I am trying to access
> >the network wireless. It will not allow me. I see the network but
> >it will not let me type in a password to access the network, which I
> >imagine would be the way to enter a secured network.

> >Does anyone know how I set up either the network on the XP desktops or
> >the Vista network on the laptop to give the laptop access to the
> >secure network?

> >Thank you
> >Jill

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/- Hide quoted text -

I imagine it is WEP. My husband set it up, but when we tried getting
on the network last night from the laptop, we used WEP. We only have a
5 digit password..

I am not sure what router I have...it is a Verizon supplied about 2
years old..

Barb Bowman

Re: Networking Vista Laptop to Secure Home Network Wireless
Ask our husband for details - if it is two years old, it should
support WPA. If you can look at the router, it should give a brand
name and model.

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:28:53 -0700, Farringdon

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP