NETWORK VISTA QUICK BOOKS

talent80

NETWORK VISTA QUICK BOOKS
have a friend that wants to network his two new gateways for home business. I
havent worked with vista much and not at all networking. He has two gateway
gt5464 using Vista Home and wants to share the c drive with Quick books Point
of sale. Is this possible to network these two and is point of sale available
for Vista. Thanks, Joseph
Malke

Re: NETWORK VISTA QUICK BOOKS
talent80 wrote:
> have a friend that wants to network his two new gateways for home business. I
> havent worked with vista much and not at all networking. He has two gateway
> gt5464 using Vista Home and wants to share the c drive with Quick books Point
> of sale. Is this possible to network these two and is point of sale available
> for Vista. Thanks, Joseph

It is completely possible to share files/printers between the two Vista
machines. Sharing the entire C: drive is a little trickier because it is
bad security practice to do so. It is far better to share files in the
user directories and/or the Public directory. See below for general
networking information for Vista.

As for QuickBooks Point of Sale, have your friend contact Intuit tech
support for the answer.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
files and folders:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...27037.aspxThis link will
take you through Vista networking very well:

Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN
allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than
one firewall.

B. With earlier Microsoft operating systems, the name of the Workgroup
didn't matter. Apparently it does with Vista, so put all computers in
the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control
Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
Shared Documents folder. See the first link above for details about
Vista sharing.

E. To share the root of a drive (not recommended):

When you share out the root of a drive in Vista, the UI only allows this
through the advanced sharing option. When the advanced sharing option
is used it only sets the share permissions. The actual permissions on a
file share are a combination of Folder and Share permissions. In Vista
the everyone group doesn not have permissions so when you connect
without a password the system you can see the folders but not access
them or possibly connect to the share but fail to open it.

1. Open Computer
2. Right click on the shared drive and select properties from the
context menu
3. Select the Security Tab in the displayed properties sheet.

If you are connecting to the computer with no password then you are
connecting with the guest account. In order to access the files on the
drive, the everyone group needs to have access set here.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com