xp-vista visibility

alant

xp-vista visibility
hi all,
please excuse me in advance, but the problems I am experiencing appear(to
me) very basic. I have a desktop (XP pro) and a laptop (Vista ultimate) and
am trying to wirelessly network them with a belkin G router. My physical
layout is as follows: internet comes in via broadband cable(virgin) modem
then through the router to the RJ45 conn at the rear of my desktop.(note:I
also have a USB dongle connected, as I was instructed to do so). The laptop
has an internal wireless card. On the XP machine network conns. window I have
a wireless network connection showing. On the Vista machine in the network
and sharing -my XP is not visible (net discovery is on). I have downloaded
the LLTD patch on my Xp. I can ping the router from each machine, but cannot
ping machine to machine. Firewalls on XP, Vista and router are all switched
off. I can access the internet from both machines. My router DHCP client list
shows both computers. This post may seem a bit long winded but I did want to
include as much information as possible. This is probably due to me doing/not
doing something very basic. (File/Printer sharing is my final goal)
--
many thanks, alant
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: xp-vista visibility
If you can't ping each by IP, I would double check any security software.
this search result may help.

Vista and Security Software IssuesVista and Security Software Issues. Is not
accessible because of Norton Internet Security · Can't find other computer
because of Norton ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista&security.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"alant" <alant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
> please excuse me in advance, but the problems I am experiencing appear(to
> me) very basic. I have a desktop (XP pro) and a laptop (Vista ultimate)
> and
> am trying to wirelessly network them with a belkin G router. My physical
> layout is as follows: internet comes in via broadband cable(virgin) modem
> then through the router to the RJ45 conn at the rear of my desktop.(note:I
> also have a USB dongle connected, as I was instructed to do so). The
> laptop
> has an internal wireless card. On the XP machine network conns. window I
> have
> a wireless network connection showing. On the Vista machine in the network
> and sharing -my XP is not visible (net discovery is on). I have downloaded
> the LLTD patch on my Xp. I can ping the router from each machine, but
> cannot
> ping machine to machine. Firewalls on XP, Vista and router are all
> switched
> off. I can access the internet from both machines. My router DHCP client
> list
> shows both computers. This post may seem a bit long winded but I did want
> include as much information as possible. This is probably due to me
> doing/not
> doing something very basic. (File/Printer sharing is my final goal)
> --
> many thanks, alant

Mick Murphy

RE: xp-vista visibility