Vista/XP Network setup problems

Mike and Torrie

Vista/XP Network setup problems
I have read a lot of similiar problems from this group on networking
problems between xp and Vista computers. I am a newbie regarding
networking, so this newsgroup has been very informative, yet I still cannot
access my shared folders.

What I can do is see both computers from both machines (xp and Vista) but I
cannot access the networked computer. When I try to access the Vista
computer from the XP computer, \\computer is not accessible. You might not
have permission to use this network resource. When I attempt to access the
XP computer from the Vista computer, I can see the XP computer from the
network map, but cannot access the computer.

I have used the link below and still haven't had any luck. I have disabled
both firewalls, shared folders on both computers and allowing full access on
both computers, they are not password protected, network discovery is on,
file sharing is on, and public folder access is on.

Any help is much appriciated.

Mike

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista/XP Network setup problems
Assuming the firewall is disabled or you have enabled the sharing, can you
ping each other by IP? Or these links may help.

Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be connecting
to other computer and you just re-connect it the Vista? Check the permission
using this command: . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

Vista sharing issuesSolved: Vista sharing - Access denied ... To share a
folder, there are two places, you need to assign permission. sharing and
security tabs. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistasharing.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Mike and Torrie" <Mike@home> wrote in message
news:56CdnQk_irsh4Y_anZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@trueband.net ...
>I have read a lot of similiar problems from this group on networking
>problems between xp and Vista computers. I am a newbie regarding
>networking, so this newsgroup has been very informative, yet I still cannot
>access my shared folders.
>
> What I can do is see both computers from both machines (xp and Vista) but
> I cannot access the networked computer. When I try to access the Vista
> computer from the XP computer, \\computer is not accessible. You might
> not have permission to use this network resource. When I attempt to
> access the XP computer from the Vista computer, I can see the XP computer
> from the network map, but cannot access the computer.
>
> I have used the link below and still haven't had any luck. I have
> disabled both firewalls, shared folders on both computers and allowing
> full access on both computers, they are not password protected, network
> discovery is on, file sharing is on, and public folder access is on.

> Any help is much appriciated.
>
> Mike

Mike and Torrie

Re: Vista/XP Network setup problems
Firewall is disabled on both XP and Vista and I do not have any other
security programs installed. I checked the secutiy setting on XP and the
folder property was set to "simple sharing". After changing it I was able
to see the security tab. I then verified the permission was open for
everyone with full rights. I am also able to ping both machines from each
computer.

While on my Vista computer, the XP computer ONLY shows up while clicking "
view full map", and when I check which folders I am sharing, nothing comes
up. Even though I have gone through several folders and have them shared?

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> Assuming the firewall is disabled or you have enabled the sharing, can you
> ping each other by IP? Or these links may help.
>
> Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be
> connecting to other computer and you just re-connect it the Vista? Check
> the permission using this command: . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>

> Vista sharing issuesSolved: Vista sharing - Access denied ... To share a
> folder, there are two places, you need to assign permission. sharing and
> security tabs. ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistasharing.htm
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Mike and Torrie" <Mike@home> wrote in message
> news:56CdnQk_irsh4Y_anZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@trueband.net ...
>>I have read a lot of similiar problems from this group on networking
>>problems between xp and Vista computers. I am a newbie regarding
>>networking, so this newsgroup has been very informative, yet I still
>>cannot access my shared folders.
>>
>> What I can do is see both computers from both machines (xp and Vista) but
>> I cannot access the networked computer. When I try to access the Vista
>> computer from the XP computer, \\computer is not accessible. You might
>> not have permission to use this network resource. When I attempt to
>> access the XP computer from the Vista computer, I can see the XP computer
>> from the network map, but cannot access the computer.
>>
>> I have used the link below and still haven't had any luck. I have
>> disabled both firewalls, shared folders on both computers and allowing
>> full access on both computers, they are not password protected, network
>> discovery is on, file sharing is on, and public folder access is on.
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>>
>> Any help is much appriciated.
>>
>> Mike

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista/XP Network setup problems
Post back with the result of this command: net view \\xpipaddress from vista
or net view \\vistaipaddress from xp. Note: replace the xp or vista real ip
address with xpipaddress and vistaipaddress.

--

news:fO2dnfGSqcCkfo_anZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@trueband.net ...
> Firewall is disabled on both XP and Vista and I do not have any other
> security programs installed. I checked the secutiy setting on XP and the
> folder property was set to "simple sharing". After changing it I was able
> to see the security tab. I then verified the permission was open for
> everyone with full rights. I am also able to ping both machines from each
> computer.
>
> While on my Vista computer, the XP computer ONLY shows up while clicking "
> view full map", and when I check which folders I am sharing, nothing comes
> up. Even though I have gone through several folders and have them shared?
>
> "Robert L (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>> Assuming the firewall is disabled or you have enabled the sharing, can
>> you ping each other by IP? Or these links may help.
>>
>> Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be
>> connecting to other computer and you just re-connect it the Vista? Check
>> the permission using this command: . ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>>

>> Vista sharing issuesSolved: Vista sharing - Access denied ... To share a
>> folder, there are two places, you need to assign permission. sharing and
>> security tabs. ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistasharing.htm
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Mike and Torrie" <Mike@home> wrote in message
>> news:56CdnQk_irsh4Y_anZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@trueband.net ...
>>>I have read a lot of similiar problems from this group on networking
>>>problems between xp and Vista computers. I am a newbie regarding
>>>networking, so this newsgroup has been very informative, yet I still
>>>cannot access my shared folders.
>>>
>>> What I can do is see both computers from both machines (xp and Vista)
>>> but I cannot access the networked computer. When I try to access the
>>> Vista computer from the XP computer, \\computer is not accessible. You
>>> might not have permission to use this network resource. When I attempt
>>> to access the XP computer from the Vista computer, I can see the XP
>>> computer from the network map, but cannot access the computer.
>>>
>>> I have used the link below and still haven't had any luck. I have
>>> disabled both firewalls, shared folders on both computers and allowing
>>> full access on both computers, they are not password protected, network
>>> discovery is on, file sharing is on, and public folder access is on.
>>>
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>>>
>>> Any help is much appriciated.
>>>
>>> Mike

John

Re: Vista/XP Network setup problems
In Device Manager, check the properties of your network adapter. In the
TCP/IP section be sure file sharing is checked.

"Mike and Torrie" <Mike@home> wrote in message
news:56CdnQk_irsh4Y_anZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@trueband.net ...
>I have read a lot of similiar problems from this group on networking
>problems between xp and Vista computers. I am a newbie regarding
>networking, so this newsgroup has been very informative, yet I still cannot
>access my shared folders.
>
> What I can do is see both computers from both machines (xp and Vista) but
> I cannot access the networked computer. When I try to access the Vista
> computer from the XP computer, \\computer is not accessible. You might
> not have permission to use this network resource. When I attempt to
> access the XP computer from the Vista computer, I can see the XP computer
> from the network map, but cannot access the computer.
>
> I have used the link below and still haven't had any luck. I have
> disabled both firewalls, shared folders on both computers and allowing
> full access on both computers, they are not password protected, network
> discovery is on, file sharing is on, and public folder access is on.

> Any help is much appriciated.
>
> Mike

Mike and Torrie

Re: Vista/XP Network setup problems
Amazing! I can actually access the shared folders of the opposite computer
through the ip address net view. Still cannot access through explorer.
What does this mean?

Thank you for your help. I was loosing hope after fighting this all
weekend. I think my wife was about ready to make me send my new computer
back.

Extremely grateful,
Mike

> Post back with the result of this command: net view \\xpipaddress from
> vista or net view \\vistaipaddress from xp. Note: replace the xp or vista
> real ip address with xpipaddress and vistaipaddress.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Mike and Torrie" <Mike@home> wrote in message
> news:fO2dnfGSqcCkfo_anZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@trueband.net ...
>> Firewall is disabled on both XP and Vista and I do not have any other
>> security programs installed. I checked the secutiy setting on XP and the
>> folder property was set to "simple sharing". After changing it I was
>> able to see the security tab. I then verified the permission was open
>> for everyone with full rights. I am also able to ping both machines from
>> each computer.
>>
>> While on my Vista computer, the XP computer ONLY shows up while clicking
>> " view full map", and when I check which folders I am sharing, nothing
>> comes up. Even though I have gone through several folders and have them
>> shared?
>>
>> "Robert L (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>>> Assuming the firewall is disabled or you have enabled the sharing, can
>>> you ping each other by IP? Or these links may help.
>>>
>>> Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be
>>> connecting to other computer and you just re-connect it the Vista? Check
>>> the permission using this command: . ...
>>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>>>

>>> Vista sharing issuesSolved: Vista sharing - Access denied ... To share a
>>> folder, there are two places, you need to assign permission. sharing and
>>> security tabs. ...
>>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistasharing.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>>

>>> "Mike and Torrie" <Mike@home> wrote in message
>>> news:56CdnQk_irsh4Y_anZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@trueband.net ...

Mike and Torrie

Re: Vista/XP Network setup problems
I went to the Device Manager and checked the properties of my network
adapter, but did not find anything regarding sharing. Actually, I did not
bring up my TCP/IP info from the device manager in XP.

Mike

"John" <me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> In Device Manager, check the properties of your network adapter. In the
> TCP/IP section be sure file sharing is checked.
>
> "Mike and Torrie" <Mike@home> wrote in message
> news:56CdnQk_irsh4Y_anZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@trueband.net ...
>>I have read a lot of similiar problems from this group on networking
>>problems between xp and Vista computers. I am a newbie regarding
>>networking, so this newsgroup has been very informative, yet I still
>>cannot access my shared folders.
>>
>> What I can do is see both computers from both machines (xp and Vista) but
>> I cannot access the networked computer. When I try to access the Vista
>> computer from the XP computer, \\computer is not accessible. You might
>> not have permission to use this network resource. When I attempt to
>> access the XP computer from the Vista computer, I can see the XP computer
>> from the network map, but cannot access the computer.
>>
>> I have used the link below and still haven't had any luck. I have
>> disabled both firewalls, shared folders on both computers and allowing
>> full access on both computers, they are not password protected, network
>> discovery is on, file sharing is on, and public folder access is on.
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>>
>> Any help is much appriciated.
>>
>> Mike

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista/XP Network setup problems
If you can access by IP but name, this is name resolution. You may want to
check the NetBIOS over TCP/IP. This link may help.

Vista Name Resolution Issueswhile trying to access shared folders on the
Vista (Home Premium) system, I received the message, "You were not connected
because a duplicate name exists on ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanameissues.htm

--

news:sZidna2gcabJRY7anZ2dnUVZ_sqinZ2d@trueband.net ...
> Amazing! I can actually access the shared folders of the opposite
> computer through the ip address net view. Still cannot access through
> explorer. What does this mean?
>
> Thank you for your help. I was loosing hope after fighting this all
> weekend. I think my wife was about ready to make me send my new computer
> back.
>
> Extremely grateful,
> Mike
>
> "Robert L (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>> Post back with the result of this command: net view \\xpipaddress from
>> vista or net view \\vistaipaddress from xp. Note: replace the xp or vista
>> real ip address with xpipaddress and vistaipaddress.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Mike and Torrie" <Mike@home> wrote in message
>> news:fO2dnfGSqcCkfo_anZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@trueband.net ...
>>> Firewall is disabled on both XP and Vista and I do not have any other
>>> security programs installed. I checked the secutiy setting on XP and
>>> the folder property was set to "simple sharing". After changing it I
>>> was able to see the security tab. I then verified the permission was
>>> open for everyone with full rights. I am also able to ping both
>>> machines from each computer.
>>>
>>> While on my Vista computer, the XP computer ONLY shows up while clicking
>>> " view full map", and when I check which folders I am sharing, nothing
>>> comes up. Even though I have gone through several folders and have them
>>> shared?

Mike and Torrie

Re: Vista/XP Network setup problems
NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled under the WINS tab. Also, I have my firewall
disabled so shouldn't this leave Port 139 open? Seems like those were the
only reasons given for my problem.