home netwoking

Hellion

home netwoking
I am trying to get my laptop that is running vista and my desktop that is
running xp to see each other. my laptop can see the desktop but my desktop
cannot see my laptop. how can I fix that?
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: home netwoking
Assuming you have enabled the sharing in the Vista, can you ping Vista from
XP by IP? Or this link may help.

Vista sharing issuesSolved: Vista sharing - Access denied ... To share a
folder, there are two places, you need to assign permission. sharing and
security tabs. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistasharing.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Hellion" <Hellion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to get my laptop that is running vista and my desktop that is
> running xp to see each other. my laptop can see the desktop but my desktop
> cannot see my laptop. how can I fix that?

Mick Murphy

RE: home netwoking

A bit of info for you.

"Hellion" wrote:

> I am trying to get my laptop that is running vista and my desktop that is
> running xp to see each other. my laptop can see the desktop but my desktop
> cannot see my laptop. how can I fix that?

Chuck [MVP]

Re: home netwoking
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:36:00 -0700, Hellion <Hellion@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am trying to get my laptop that is running vista and my desktop that is
>running xp to see each other. my laptop can see the desktop but my desktop
>cannot see my laptop. how can I fix that?

Unequal visibility is generally a problem with a personal firewall, blocking
traffic in one direction.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

Networking computers running Windows Vista and Windows XP, together, presents
its own challenges.

You could diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
/all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
(download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
vanilla

Re: home netwoking
Thank you very much for that link. That page had several other links that
were helpful also. In all the years I have been learning about computers, I
specifically avoided the subject of networking ... time for me to catch up
and this was a great start ... vanilla