Windows 2000 Shared Printers Always "Not Ready"

Bruce Scherzinger

Windows 2000 Shared Printers Always "Not Ready"
I've got two types of printers in my home. One that is connected to a
network sharing device and the rest that are connected in various ways
to a Windows 2000 machine. Once I put the new Vista machine into the
same workgroup as the others, the printers being shared by the Win2k
machine were found by the Add Printer wizard. However, when I try to
connect to ANY of the printers shared by the Win2k machine, Vista says
it cannot connect to the printer because it is "Not Ready". I have
verified that ALL of the shared printers are ready. What is going on?
Does Vista not support printing to Windows 2000 shared printers?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
Vienna, VA
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Windows 2000 Shared Printers Always "Not Ready"
How are the printer(s) connected to the Win2K PCs... USB or LPT?

Which application(s) are you printing from?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Bruce Scherzinger" <please.post@news.group> wrote in message
> I've got two types of printers in my home. One that is connected to a
> network sharing device and the rest that are connected in various ways to
> a Windows 2000 machine. Once I put the new Vista machine into the same
> workgroup as the others, the printers being shared by the Win2k machine
> were found by the Add Printer wizard. However, when I try to connect to
> ANY of the printers shared by the Win2k machine, Vista says it cannot
> connect to the printer because it is "Not Ready". I have verified that ALL
> of the shared printers are ready. What is going on? Does Vista not support
> printing to Windows 2000 shared printers?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bruce
> Vienna, VA

Bruce Scherzinger

Re: Windows 2000 Shared Printers Always "Not Ready"
Uhm...BUMP!

Bruce Scherzinger wrote:
> I've got two types of printers in my home. One that is connected to a
> network sharing device and the rest that are connected in various ways
> to a Windows 2000 machine. Once I put the new Vista machine into the
> same workgroup as the others, the printers being shared by the Win2k
> machine were found by the Add Printer wizard. However, when I try to
> connect to ANY of the printers shared by the Win2k machine, Vista says
> it cannot connect to the printer because it is "Not Ready". I have
> verified that ALL of the shared printers are ready. What is going on?
> Does Vista not support printing to Windows 2000 shared printers?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bruce
> Vienna, VA

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Windows 2000 Shared Printers Always "Not Ready"
Vista connects fine to my Win2k machine sharing an Apple laserwriter.

If you are running Pro make sure you do not have more than 10 concurrent
connections.
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Uhm...BUMP!
>
> Bruce Scherzinger wrote:
>> I've got two types of printers in my home. One that is connected to a
>> network sharing device and the rest that are connected in various ways to
>> a Windows 2000 machine. Once I put the new Vista machine into the same
>> workgroup as the others, the printers being shared by the Win2k machine
>> were found by the Add Printer wizard. However, when I try to connect to
>> ANY of the printers shared by the Win2k machine, Vista says it cannot
>> connect to the printer because it is "Not Ready". I have verified that
>> ALL of the shared printers are ready. What is going on? Does Vista not
>> support printing to Windows 2000 shared printers?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Bruce
>> Vienna, VA

Jeffrey Randow

Re: Windows 2000 Shared Printers Always "Not Ready"
I might recommend the performance and reliability update that updated
network printing support. Before that update, printing in Vista was
painful to network printers on downlevel print servers.

---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006