Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista Network problem

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
joel.ellis86@gmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
Vista Network problem
I have been using Vista home premium without difficulties for 5
months. All of a sudden, my machine changed the workgroup name to the
default (workgroup). I changed it back to my network name and now I
cannot access my home network. I do have internet access even though
the network icon shows a red X. This shouldn't be possible but I have
access.
I am unable to access the network properties even after rebooting
(after network name change).
Has anyone else had this type of problem or have any suggestions as to
my next step. I did install a new virus scanner/spyware program but
that should not prevent access to my home network and it sure
shouldn't have caused the machine to default to the network
(workgroup). The software I installed is Spyware Terminator, just in
case it could be an issue.
Thanks

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
Elemino
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Vista Network problem
This problem has shown up on my two PC's. My wife's computer had it first. I
thought she just needed to restart. I noticed I had an update waiting to be
installed and the PC needed to be restarted. After the restart all I get the
icon with the red x stating I have no network connection (which I do..
obviously I'm on here) and Network and Sharing Center says "Unknown
Interface" on my PC and "Access Denied" on the other. The network folder
cannot detect the PC itself, the other PC, my Xbox 360, or my Printer. All of
which worked right before I did the update last night. I can no longer share
files to anything, and as far as my PC is concerned I have no network
connection, no fire wall, and no virus scan. Although Norton seems to be
working just fine. Whatever update I installed, this one was a big screw up.
Now I just need help on fixing the problem. I need my network back.

"joel.ellis86@gmail.com" wrote:

> I have been using Vista home premium without difficulties for 5
> months. All of a sudden, my machine changed the workgroup name to the
> default (workgroup). I changed it back to my network name and now I
> cannot access my home network. I do have internet access even though
> the network icon shows a red X. This shouldn't be possible but I have
> access.
> I am unable to access the network properties even after rebooting
> (after network name change).
> Has anyone else had this type of problem or have any suggestions as to
> my next step. I did install a new virus scanner/spyware program but
> that should not prevent access to my home network and it sure
> shouldn't have caused the machine to default to the network
> (workgroup). The software I installed is Spyware Terminator, just in
> case it could be an issue.
> Thanks
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2007
natelroot@gmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Network problem
I have the same issue on Vista Ultimate x64. It started 2 days ago
and I haven't been able to find a fix. Symptoms:

* Red X on network icon in system tray, but I CAN access the Internet
* Can't Remote Desktop into machine anymore



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2007
Rollie Guinn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Network problem
On Oct 26, 9:33 am, natelr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have the same issue on Vista Ultimate x64. It started 2 days ago
> and I haven't been able to find a fix. Symptoms:
>
> * Red X on network icon in system tray, but I CAN access the Internet
> * Can't Remote Desktop into machine anymore




This started on mine about 2 days ago too! I have internet connection,
but big red x on the network icon. Another issue is when I try to do
anything regarding the network, all windows are VERY slow to
respond....almost like it's freezing.

Further, my other two user logins are now going to a black sreen with
the cursor only visible. I can get out by ctrl-alt-del.

I found another string somewhere that identified AIM 6 as the culprit.
The timing seemed right on my download so I uninstalled, but hasn't
resolved the issue.

I then downloaded SP3 for office. No fix.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2007
Rollie Guinn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Network problem
On Oct 28, 11:58 am, Rollie Guinn <rg971...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 26, 9:33 am, natelr...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I have the same issue on Vista Ultimate x64. It started 2 days ago
> > and I haven't been able to find a fix. Symptoms:

>
> > * Red X on network icon in system tray, but I CAN access the Internet
> > * Can't Remote Desktop into machine anymore

>
> This started on mine about 2 days ago too! I have internet connection,
> but big red x on the network icon. Another issue is when I try to do
> anything regarding the network, all windows are VERY slow to
> respond....almost like it's freezing.
>
> Further, my other two user logins are now going to a black sreen with
> the cursor only visible. I can get out by ctrl-alt-del.
>
> I found another string somewhere that identified AIM 6 as the culprit.
> The timing seemed right on my download so I uninstalled, but hasn't
> resolved the issue.
>
> I then downloaded SP3 for office. No fix.





FIXED!!!! I went to a "System Restore Point" dated 22 October. That
resolved both issues of the 'red x' and the 'black screen' on other
users. I'm going to monitor system updates and other installs to try
to identify conflicts, but I definitely resolved the issues.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2007
Rollie Guinn
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Network problem
On Oct 28, 12:21 pm, Rollie Guinn <rg971...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 28, 11:58 am, Rollie Guinn <rg971...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Oct 26, 9:33 am, natelr...@gmail.com wrote:

>
> > > I have the same issue on Vista Ultimate x64. It started 2 days ago
> > > and I haven't been able to find a fix. Symptoms:

>
> > > * Red X on network icon in system tray, but I CAN access the Internet
> > > * Can't Remote Desktop into machine anymore

>
> > This started on mine about 2 days ago too! I have internet connection,
> > but big red x on the network icon. Another issue is when I try to do
> > anything regarding the network, all windows are VERY slow to
> > respond....almost like it's freezing.

>
> > Further, my other two user logins are now going to a black sreen with
> > the cursor only visible. I can get out by ctrl-alt-del.

>
> > I found another string somewhere that identified AIM 6 as the culprit.
> > The timing seemed right on my download so I uninstalled, but hasn't
> > resolved the issue.

>
> > I then downloaded SP3 for office. No fix.

>
> FIXED!!!! I went to a "System Restore Point" dated 22 October. That
> resolved both issues of the 'red x' and the 'black screen' on other
> users. I'm going to monitor system updates and other installs to try
> to identify conflicts, but I definitely resolved the issues.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


It appears to be an AIM 6 conflict with Vista somehow. I reinstalled
it after awhile and almost immediately had the same problem. Again,
the system restore resolved the issue. I have now installed "pidgin"
which is an instant message client that works like outlook by
synchronizing all the different IM accounts. Pretty neat and handy
since I apparently can't use AIM anymore on its own.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Network Problem / Sharing / Computers not Showing on Network =?Utf-8?B?Y3liM3JiMHlfZ3I=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 6 06-07-2009 16:58
Vista network problem: can't connect to the network msxcms microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 08-15-2007 09:56
Vista Network Problem - lose network ijourneaux microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 07-25-2007 18:24
Vista XP network Problem PC's Plus microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 06-09-2007 07:36
Vista network problem PC's Plus microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 06-06-2007 05:29




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:20.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120