Way too many steps!

turbonium2

Way too many steps!
Maybe I'm just being anal but, in order to connect to the Internet via
dial-up, I must:

1. Right click the network icon in the task bar

2. Select "Connect to network."

3. When the "Connect to network" window pops up, I then must select "Select
Dial-up Connection."

4. Then, the actual dial-up window pops up an I must select "Dial"

5. After the connection is made, I have to close the Connect to network
window.

Is there a way to shorten this process to maybe one or two clicks and many
less windows popping up? Thanks.
turbonium2

RE: Way too many steps!
BTW, I'm using Vista Business if that makes any difference. I don't remember
there being this many steps in XP. Thanks again.

"turbonium2" wrote:

> Maybe I'm just being anal but, in order to connect to the Internet via
> dial-up, I must:
>
> 1. Right click the network icon in the task bar
>
> 2. Select "Connect to network."
>
> 3. When the "Connect to network" window pops up, I then must select "Select
> Dial-up Connection."
>
> 4. Then, the actual dial-up window pops up an I must select "Dial"
>
> 5. After the connection is made, I have to close the Connect to network
> window.
>
> Is there a way to shorten this process to maybe one or two clicks and many
> less windows popping up? Thanks.

uhaligani

Re: Way too many steps!

It's a heck of a time since I used dial up (or XP) but I think it was
the same procedure.

--
uhaligani
Dave

Re: Way too many steps!
In XP, I just created a shortcut on the Desktop, IIRC.

I just created a dummy dial-up connection in Vista, as I don't have a modem
to test.
When it was complete, it said to start it by clicking on Start - Connect To
and click on your connection. This seems a bit quicker than the way you
described.

However, I think you should be able to open Control Panel - Network &
Sharing Center - Manage network connections
and drag your dial-up connection to the Desktop to create a shortcut.

I can get the shortcut, but can't test it.

"turbonium2" <turbonium2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> BTW, I'm using Vista Business if that makes any difference. I don't
> remember
> there being this many steps in XP. Thanks again.
>
> "turbonium2" wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm just being anal but, in order to connect to the Internet via
>> dial-up, I must:
>>
>> 1. Right click the network icon in the task bar
>>
>> 2. Select "Connect to network."
>>
>> 3. When the "Connect to network" window pops up, I then must select
>> "Select
>> Dial-up Connection."
>>
>> 4. Then, the actual dial-up window pops up an I must select "Dial"
>>
>> 5. After the connection is made, I have to close the Connect to network
>> window.
>>
>> Is there a way to shorten this process to maybe one or two clicks and
>> many
>> less windows popping up? Thanks.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Way too many steps!
"turbonium2" <turbonium2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news128C85A-821C-480C-8E0C-2B6ED6292822@microsoft.com...
> Maybe I'm just being anal but, in order to connect to the Internet via
> dial-up, I must:
>
> 1. Right click the network icon in the task bar
>
> 2. Select "Connect to network."
>
> 3. When the "Connect to network" window pops up, I then must select
> "Select
> Dial-up Connection."
>
> 4. Then, the actual dial-up window pops up an I must select "Dial"
>
> 5. After the connection is made, I have to close the Connect to network
> window.
>
> Is there a way to shorten this process to maybe one or two clicks and many
> less windows popping up? Thanks.

You might either make a shortcut on your desktop to the dialup connection or
look at using rasdial and use a batch command as a shortcut on your desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

To disconnect right-click the little network icon in the system tray and
select disconnect from.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

turbonium2

Re: Way too many steps!

"uhaligani" wrote:

> It's a heck of a time since I used dial up (or XP) but I think it was
> the same procedure.
>

> --
> uhaligani

Right after I posted I found the answer <a
href="http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.gen eral&tid=ec53f119-77b2-4cf8-8dcc-675de599fe87&cat=en_US_045A27CB-CDB9-49DB-B63D-0E65F352DD13&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1">here.</a>

[QUOTE BY= four****]Open control panel , go to Network and Sharing Center,
click on Manage network connections, right click on your connection in the
window, select create shortcut, a window will appear saying you cant create
it here, do you wanna place it on the desktop...click yes for god's sake. If
you take that shortcut...which is now on the "desktop". you can double click
it to start it, or if you drag it to the quick launch bar, one click will
start it[/quote]
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Way too many steps!
Open Control Panel
Network and Internet
Internet Options
Connections tab
Check "Always dial..."
Click OK.
It should automatically dial when you open Internet Explorer or
Windows Mail.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar