RDP - Vista to XP Pro - drops imediately

s100bus

RDP - Vista to XP Pro - drops imediately
Hello all,

Target system is XP Pro SP2+, with the RDP Client 6.0 update installed

Client is Vsta Business, also up to patch

If I attempt to connect to the XP Pro system from home or on the road
with an XP system RDP works fine. If I use the Vista Business laptop I can
connect, but then I drop after a second or so.

I've gone to the page suggested that shows the Vista RDP advanced setting
suggestions and made the changes. I've also checked the firewall settings on
the XP system exceptions and added an RDP exception to port 3389 in the Vista
firewall exception list. Before I added the exception to the Vista system
firewall I would connect, get part of a screen and then get a "reconnect"
message.

I'm going to test a Vista to Vista connection with the laptop today and see
if that works.

Is there anything else I should do ?

Thanks,

Jacob

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: RDP - Vista to XP Pro - drops imediately
We have see many cases like this one. You may want to try this command:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled. Or This post may
help,

Solved: Vista Remote Desktop Slow ...Using Remote desktop access Vista slow.
Resolution: 1. Disable IPv6 on the Vista. 2. Run "netsh interface tcp set
global autotuninglevel=disabled" command. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...a0713 c3be7c6

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"s100bus" <s100bus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Target system is XP Pro SP2+, with the RDP Client 6.0 update installed
>
> Client is Vsta Business, also up to patch
>
> If I attempt to connect to the XP Pro system from home or on the road
> with an XP system RDP works fine. If I use the Vista Business laptop I can
> connect, but then I drop after a second or so.
>
> I've gone to the page suggested that shows the Vista RDP advanced setting
> suggestions and made the changes. I've also checked the firewall settings
> on
> the XP system exceptions and added an RDP exception to port 3389 in the
> Vista
> firewall exception list. Before I added the exception to the Vista system
> firewall I would connect, get part of a screen and then get a "reconnect"
> message.
>
> I'm going to test a Vista to Vista connection with the laptop today and
> see
> if that works.
>
> Is there anything else I should do ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jacob

s100bus

Re: RDP - Vista to XP Pro - drops imediately
Thanks Robert, I'll try that tonight and post the results.

Jacob