Re: wireless vista disconnects

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: wireless vista disconnects
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)
"DBrooker" <DBrooker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6BC6B36A-98EA-40D4-A2AE-10966E7DE9BC@microsoft.com...
> Have Vista small biz and for the last month it disconnects from the wireless
> router, and says local access only.

Does ipconfig /all change then? In particular do you lose an adapter
or a default gateway?

> Have tried disabling security, repair etc. I always have to reboot to
> establish the conenction again. Typically will be connected for an hour or so.

It may help to elaborate on "repair etc.". However, rebooting is often
the simplest repair anyway.

> Have tried disabling firewalls etc, to no avail. I am sure this must be
> something to do with some update, as prior to a month ago I never ever had
> this issue.
>
> I have come back from a trip around the world, and established this was a
> problem that started at some point during that trip.
>
> I have used many different routers, and also updated the intel wirelss
> drivers and even tried roll-back the driver to see if that was the issue.
>
> Anybody got any ideas? When I try ipconfig/renew it says cannot renew the
> wireless

Does that adapter have DHCP enabled?

> (and also the bluetooth, though my mouse still works) when they are
> disconencted. Go to try to enable it and it does not work - have to reboot.
>
> Appreciate any insight, have seen this issue posted elsewhere.

Perhaps on a more relevant newsgroup? <eg>
(Note: cross-post added to Vista Networking)

> It also
> happened once when the lan cable was plugged in, so may be an issue with
> Vista networking itself?..
> Dave

Or your drivers... If that's what you meant by "something to do with some update"
try backing off recent updates or try updating from the manufacturer's site. Etc.
BTW XP uses the expression "roll back" when describing how to undo updates
to drivers. I guess that Vista will use the same terminology? FYI in XP there's an
unindexed help page about it, which I can reach from an indexed page called
Repair Overview. E.g. press Win-F1 and search for "roll back" (with quotes).

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

DBrooker

Re: wireless vista disconnects
it says cannot repair a connection when it's emdia state is disconencted -
and the wireless asaptor and bluetooth say disconencted.
Will try the fix about broadcast flag and see if that resolves it. Strange
that all worked absolutely fine for the first 3 months