VPN Question

Sam

VPN Question
Hi,

I connect to our office through my Vista Business laptop and ISA 2004 at the
office. When I do, if I want to go out to the Internet, I go through the VPN
connection which takes me into our office network and out to the Internet.
This obviously slows things down. How can I go out to the Internet without
going through the VPN connection?
--
Thanks,

Sam
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: VPN Question
"Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I connect to our office through my Vista Business laptop and ISA 2004 at
> the
> office. When I do, if I want to go out to the Internet, I go through the
> VPN
> connection which takes me into our office network and out to the Internet.
> This obviously slows things down. How can I go out to the Internet without
> going through the VPN connection?
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

What VPN? If its the built-in PPTP VPN client you can uncheck the use
default gateway option in the VPN connection properties. Note the potential
security risks in doing this...

Otherwise some VPN connections (OpenVPN for example) can or do control this
on the server side and you have no control over that.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Sam

Re: VPN Question
Al,

Thank you for your response. I am using the built-in PPTP VPN client.

My question is how do I tell IE not to use the default gateway? If I uncheck
"Do not use default gateway", would that not affect all my applications i.e.
Outlook, IE and others. I'd like everything to use the VPN connection so that
I can connect to things that are in the corporate network. I want only the IE
NOT to use the VPN connection. How can I set this up? Again, thanks for your
response.
--
Thanks,

Sam

> Al,
>
> Thank you for your response. I am using the built-in PPTP VPN client.
>
> My question is how do I tell IE not to use the default gateway? If I
> uncheck
> "Do not use default gateway", would that not affect all my applications
> i.e.
> Outlook, IE and others. I'd like everything to use the VPN connection so
> that
> I can connect to things that are in the corporate network. I want only the
> IE
> NOT to use the VPN connection. How can I set this up? Again, thanks for
> your
> response.
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I connect to our office through my Vista Business laptop and ISA 2004
>> > at
>> > the
>> > office. When I do, if I want to go out to the Internet, I go through
>> > the
>> > VPN
>> > connection which takes me into our office network and out to the
>> > Internet.
>> > This obviously slows things down. How can I go out to the Internet
>> > without
>> > going through the VPN connection?
>> > --
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Sam

>> What VPN? If its the built-in PPTP VPN client you can uncheck the use
>> default gateway option in the VPN connection properties. Note the
>> potential
>> security risks in doing this...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg1003.mspx
>>
>> Otherwise some VPN connections (OpenVPN for example) can or do control
>> this
>> on the server side and you have no control over that.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Not natively. If your the network/server admin you might look at using CMAK
to setup a custom connection, routing, etc for your users that would
probably do that. More information is in this RRAS team blog entry...

http://blogs.technet.com/rrasblog/ar...sing-cmak.aspx

I'm not a server guy so that is the best I can come up with. Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Jeffrey Randow

Re: VPN Question
If you disable the "Use default network gateway", you will still have
access to the network resources behind the VPN - even internal
websites, Outlook, etc.

It isn't safe, per se, because you are able to bypass any protections
your office network admin provides and you can provide a conduit to
otherwise infect or damage the internal network with your
"unprotected" computer.

BTW: Hi Al!

---
Jeffrey Randow