Vista and DNS ???

Michael Kintner

Vista and DNS ???
I have purchased a new HP with Vista Home Premimum loaded on it. I can surf
the internet without a problem but it does not reconized any of my local SBS
(Small Business Server) or other local XP machines which show in the SBS DNS
server.

When I check the IPCONFIG it shows I am connected to the local DNS sever on
SBS however if I ping the server name it does not resolve any of the local
machines however the outside names like google.com is no problem. And the
Vista box does show in the DHCP server on SBS.

I then added the server and local boxes to the Vista HOSTS file and
everything works fine thats until the local machines change names because of
DHCP.

DHCP is reporting the info to DNS correctly and my other local machines
running Windows XP boxes work fine. It just the Vista boxes is having this
problem.

Note: I added a VMWARE session with Vista Home running on an XP box and the
XP box worked fine but the Vista VMWare session also ran into the same
problem.

Any ideas why Vista is having this problem?

Thank you in advance,
Michael Kintner

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista and DNS ???
We need more information to help. Posting the result of nslookup and
ipconfig /all here may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net