IT or network experts -very strange start up problem, real challen

superbully

IT or network experts -very strange start up problem, real challen
those working with PC's and networks have you ever heard of a problem like
this, it's a real strange one:

If I startup the PC with the ethernet cable into the onboard (gigabyte)
network card then vista will hang when those little bars are going across the
screen (Isn't that the stage where the OS is loading up drivers and things?).
it will do this all day long with the cable plugged in. To get the OS to boot
I have to remove cable, switch off PC at the power supply and also unplug.
Then when i restart it will work fine.

May be worth mentioning that the cable is coming from a D link DI 624
wireless router, although as said, i'm using a cable from said router. I've
checked as much as I know about on the router config screen. MAC address
filtering is disbled, besides I cloned my network cards MAC address to the
router already (thought router may still be looking for the network card on
my old PC). I've run the wizard too, rebooted the router.

Not sure what I've missed It didn't have any problems supplying my XP pro
PC with connection!

If I leave out the router of my network setup altogether and just plug the
internet cable from my ISP's cable modem direct to the PC's network card then
it will startup no problem, over and over.

Another thing worth mentioning is that if i start up the PC without the
internet cable plugged in and the OS is running and THEN i plug in the cable
coming from the router then i will have connection! However on restarting or
shutting down and restarting later whether the cable is in or out of the
network cable port, then it will block again. it's as if it remember that the
router was plugged in before and won't start again!

Am I being dumb and missing a setting in Vista somewhere because i'm not
used to it? Or the router maybe? I could set it up OK for my XP pro PC but
maybe vista is different network wise?

I just don't get it though, how could a setting or router stop a whole OS
from booting up? OK, I can see maybe how I may have connection problem due to
router or vista settings, but to stop a whole OS starting up? WTF.

Really getting on my tats now
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: IT or network experts -very strange start up problem, real challen
The DI 624 may not be able to use 1GB. You may try to re-configure the NIC
speed before connecting. This search result may help too.

Connectivity issuesCan't ping another computer because of the ICF Disconnect
from the network while process Access data NIC speed can't go up to 100MB
NIC status displays send ...
www.chicagotech.net/connectivity2.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"superbully" <superbully@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> those working with PC's and networks have you ever heard of a problem like
> this, it's a real strange one:
>
> If I startup the PC with the ethernet cable into the onboard (gigabyte)
> network card then vista will hang when those little bars are going across
> the
> screen (Isn't that the stage where the OS is loading up drivers and
> things?).
> it will do this all day long with the cable plugged in. To get the OS to
> boot
> I have to remove cable, switch off PC at the power supply and also unplug.
> Then when i restart it will work fine.
>
> May be worth mentioning that the cable is coming from a D link DI 624
> wireless router, although as said, i'm using a cable from said router.
> I've
> checked as much as I know about on the router config screen. MAC address
> filtering is disbled, besides I cloned my network cards MAC address to the
> router already (thought router may still be looking for the network card
> on
> my old PC). I've run the wizard too, rebooted the router.
>
> Not sure what I've missed It didn't have any problems supplying my XP pro
> PC with connection!
>
> If I leave out the router of my network setup altogether and just plug the
> internet cable from my ISP's cable modem direct to the PC's network card
> then
> it will startup no problem, over and over.
>
> Another thing worth mentioning is that if i start up the PC without the
> internet cable plugged in and the OS is running and THEN i plug in the
> cable
> coming from the router then i will have connection! However on restarting
> or
> shutting down and restarting later whether the cable is in or out of the
> network cable port, then it will block again. it's as if it remember that
> the
> router was plugged in before and won't start again!
>
> Am I being dumb and missing a setting in Vista somewhere because i'm not
> used to it? Or the router maybe? I could set it up OK for my XP pro PC but
> maybe vista is different network wise?
>
> I just don't get it though, how could a setting or router stop a whole OS
> from booting up? OK, I can see maybe how I may have connection problem due
> router or vista settings, but to stop a whole OS starting up? WTF.
>
> Really getting on my tats now

superbully

Re: IT or network experts -very strange start up problem, real cha
sorry for the confusion, that's my fault. I didn't mean i've set the speed to
1GB.

GigaBIT is the name of my NIC. actually it's full name is Atheros L1 Gigabit
ethernet 10/100/1000

would you like me to post ipconfig/all details or i also have a screen
"snip" of the network and sharing screen. although i'm not sure how safe that
is i don't want ump**** hack attempts after posting them LOL

As if by coincidence I have seen in my "problem and sharing" screen that
there is a problem with the NIC and there is a solution for it. However if i
try to proceed and agree to the solution then i get the message that the
microsoft servers are either busy or i have no connection. it's been like
that since yesterday and i do have connection...

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> The DI 624 may not be able to use 1GB. You may try to re-configure the NIC
> speed before connecting. This search result may help too.
>
> Connectivity issuesCan't ping another computer because of the ICF Disconnect
> from the network while process Access data NIC speed can't go up to 100MB
> NIC status displays send ...
> www.chicagotech.net/connectivity2.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: IT or network experts -very strange start up problem, real cha
If Gigabit Ethernet is 10/100/1000, the auto speed may not work. I would try
to setup the speed manually.

--

> sorry for the confusion, that's my fault. I didn't mean i've set the speed
> 1GB.
>
> GigaBIT is the name of my NIC. actually it's full name is Atheros L1
> Gigabit
> ethernet 10/100/1000
>
> would you like me to post ipconfig/all details or i also have a screen
> "snip" of the network and sharing screen. although i'm not sure how safe
> that
> is i don't want ump**** hack attempts after posting them LOL
>
> As if by coincidence I have seen in my "problem and sharing" screen that
> there is a problem with the NIC and there is a solution for it. However if
> try to proceed and agree to the solution then i get the message that the
> microsoft servers are either busy or i have no connection. it's been like
> that since yesterday and i do have connection...
>
> "Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> The DI 624 may not be able to use 1GB. You may try to re-configure the
>> NIC
>> speed before connecting. This search result may help too.
>>
>> Connectivity issuesCan't ping another computer because of the ICF
>> Disconnect
>> from the network while process Access data NIC speed can't go up to 100MB
>> NIC status displays send ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/connectivity2.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

superbully

Re: IT or network experts -very strange start up problem, real cha
NIC is not on auto, it's set to 100 half duplex

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If Gigabit Ethernet is 10/100/1000, the auto speed may not work. I would try
> to setup the speed manually.
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "superbully" <superbully@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > sorry for the confusion, that's my fault. I didn't mean i've set the speed
> > 1GB.
> >
> > GigaBIT is the name of my NIC. actually it's full name is Atheros L1
> > Gigabit
> > ethernet 10/100/1000
> >
> > would you like me to post ipconfig/all details or i also have a screen
> > "snip" of the network and sharing screen. although i'm not sure how safe
> > that
> > is i don't want ump**** hack attempts after posting them LOL
> >
> > As if by coincidence I have seen in my "problem and sharing" screen that
> > there is a problem with the NIC and there is a solution for it. However if
> > try to proceed and agree to the solution then i get the message that the
> > microsoft servers are either busy or i have no connection. it's been like
> > that since yesterday and i do have connection...
> >
> > "Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> The DI 624 may not be able to use 1GB. You may try to re-configure the
> >> NIC
> >> speed before connecting. This search result may help too.
> >>
> >> Connectivity issuesCan't ping another computer because of the ICF
> >> Disconnect
> >> from the network while process Access data NIC speed can't go up to 100MB
> >> NIC status displays send ...
> >> www.chicagotech.net/connectivity2.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

marika

Re: IT or network experts -very strange start up problem, real challen
On Oct 11, 11:51 am, "Robert L \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...@chicagotech.net>
wrote:
> The DI 624 may not be able to use 1GB. You may try to re-configure the NIC
> speed before connecting. This search result may help too.

Sure hope this works. I will certainly let you know if my wish does
come true.

mk5000

" Forty Shades Of Blue is a complex love story focusing on a lonely
Russian woman who lives with an ageing blues-music legend in Memphis.
When his son comes to visit she is moved by how different he is to his
aggressive and loud father, and we witness the inevitable, slow
movement of the characters falling for each other."--http://
www.kultureflash.net/archive/170/default.htm