DNS Problem

YaserK

DNS Problem
I am experiencing a network problem with my new laptop working with Vista
Home Basic.

I have found that some domains refuses to open suddenly after a short time
of accessing the internet, while domains which were already accessed are
functioning so good. My ISP's poorly trained technician advised me to restart
the router everytime this issue occurs. Actually this helped but made me
crazy as I had to restart my 3Com router every 5 minutes.

I tried to change my DNS settings without restarting the router, and this
solved the issue too, but I still have to switch between DNSes every 5
minutes.

This issue is absent with my Desktop that uses Windows XP on the same DSL
line.

Any solutions?
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: DNS Problem
We have seen some cases like this one. it could be the router issue. This
link may help.

Vista Internet Access IssuesVista: Can't access some secure web sites ...
don't fix the problem, try to use FireFox because some web sites and coding
may not be compatible with IE 7. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaieissues.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"YaserK" <YaserK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am experiencing a network problem with my new laptop working with Vista
> Home Basic.
>
> I have found that some domains refuses to open suddenly after a short time
> of accessing the internet, while domains which were already accessed are
> functioning so good. My ISP's poorly trained technician advised me to
> restart
> the router everytime this issue occurs. Actually this helped but made me
> crazy as I had to restart my 3Com router every 5 minutes.
>
> I tried to change my DNS settings without restarting the router, and this
> solved the issue too, but I still have to switch between DNSes every 5
> minutes.
>
> This issue is absent with my Desktop that uses Windows XP on the same DSL
> line.
>
> Any solutions?

YaserK

Re: DNS Problem

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> We have seen some cases like this one. it could be the router issue. This
> link may help.
>
> Vista Internet Access IssuesVista: Can't access some secure web sites ...
> don't fix the problem, try to use FireFox because some web sites and coding
> may not be compatible with IE 7. ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaieissues.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Thank you for your answer.

Actually the problem is not solved by those measure mentioned above, but I
have found something for it..

After upgrading my router to the last firmware, I ran the "Internet
Connectivity Evaluation Tool" through this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx

It was obvious that there was a problem with my UPnP which was disabled in
my router. So I enabled it and re-run the "Internet Connectivity Evaluation
Tool" again and that confirmed that the problem doesn't exist anymore. (To
enable UPnP in 3Com Officeconnect routers; login to http://192.168.1.1, enter
your password; go to "Advanced"; the "Security"; Tick "Enable Universal Plug
and Play")

I didn't experience the same issue since then.
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: DNS Problem
Thank you very much for the detail feedback.

--

> "Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> We have seen some cases like this one. it could be the router issue. This
>> link may help.
>>
>> Vista Internet Access IssuesVista: Can't access some secure web sites ...
>> don't fix the problem, try to use FireFox because some web sites and
>> coding
>> may not be compatible with IE 7. ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaieissues.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

> Thank you for your answer.
>
> Actually the problem is not solved by those measure mentioned above, but I
> have found something for it..
>
> After upgrading my router to the last firmware, I ran the "Internet
> Connectivity Evaluation Tool" through this link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx
>
> It was obvious that there was a problem with my UPnP which was disabled in
> my router. So I enabled it and re-run the "Internet Connectivity
> Evaluation
> Tool" again and that confirmed that the problem doesn't exist anymore. (To
> enable UPnP in 3Com Officeconnect routers; login to http://192.168.1.1,
> enter
> your password; go to "Advanced"; the "Security"; Tick "Enable Universal
> Plug
> and Play")
>
> I didn't experience the same issue since then.

John

Re: DNS Problem
What NIC are you using in the Vista computer? Check for latest driver
updates and any Vista issues that may exist. The NIC mfg. may have support
forums.