Remote Desktop: What is my IP

Kevin

Remote Desktop: What is my IP
Hello:

I am trying to set up Remote Desktop between two computers with Windows
Vista Ultimate.

One computer is my PC at home and the other is my notebook.

I followed the instruction from the help menu; looks simple enough, and I
think the problem I'm having is that I don't know what name to put for my
computer. When I look at the system page, there is listed [MyComputerName]
which I've tried, but I get the following error:

"This computer can't connect to the remote computer.

Remote Desktop cannot find the remote computer. Type the computer name or IP
address again, and then try connecting. If the problem continues, .... blah
blah blah"

I then downloaded a program (FollowMeIPLite.exe) and checked my IP address
which I then tried as well, but recieve the following error message:

"This computer can't connect to the remote computer.

Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact ...."

---

Could I get some advice?

Thanks!
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Remote Desktop: What is my IP
Do you try to use remote desktop in home network or via the Internet?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am trying to set up Remote Desktop between two computers with Windows
> Vista Ultimate.
>
> One computer is my PC at home and the other is my notebook.
>
> I followed the instruction from the help menu; looks simple enough, and I
> think the problem I'm having is that I don't know what name to put for my
> computer. When I look at the system page, there is listed [MyComputerName]
> which I've tried, but I get the following error:
>
> "This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
>
> Remote Desktop cannot find the remote computer. Type the computer name or
> IP
> address again, and then try connecting. If the problem continues, ....
> blah
> blah blah"
>
> I then downloaded a program (FollowMeIPLite.exe) and checked my IP address
> which I then tried as well, but recieve the following error message:
>
> "This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
>
> Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact ...."
>
> ---
>
> Could I get some advice?
>
> Thanks!

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Remote Desktop: What is my IP
"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am trying to set up Remote Desktop between two computers with Windows
> Vista Ultimate.
>
> One computer is my PC at home and the other is my notebook.
>
> I followed the instruction from the help menu; looks simple enough, and I
> think the problem I'm having is that I don't know what name to put for my
> computer. When I look at the system page, there is listed [MyComputerName]
> which I've tried, but I get the following error:
>
> "This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
>
> Remote Desktop cannot find the remote computer. Type the computer name or
> IP
> address again, and then try connecting. If the problem continues, ....
> blah
> blah blah"
>
> I then downloaded a program (FollowMeIPLite.exe) and checked my IP address
> which I then tried as well, but recieve the following error message:
>
> "This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
>
> Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact ...."
>
> ---
>
> Could I get some advice?
>
> Thanks!

If your calling the Remote Desktop (RDP) host from another PC on your local
LAN use the private LAN IP (static is best). If your calling from a remote
location use the public IP of the RDP host, ie. the IP assigned by your ISP.
Remember that you need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 through any firewall or
router the host PC is behind. Note its generally not a valid test to call
the RDP host from another PC on your local LAN using the public IP, ie. the
so called loopback test.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ams/Basic.html

I don't know about FollowMeIPLite but I use a free service from DynDNS that
maps a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) to my ISP assigned IP address. I
call my home LAN (and RDP host or SSH server or VPN server) using the FQDN
from remote sites. If your router supports DynDNS or some similar service I
recommend that. If your router does not support a DynDNS or other client you
can run a small program on the RDP host that will contact the DynDNS or
other provider on a time scheduled basis and subsequently maps the public IP
to the FQDN. I have used No-IP in the past, which worked equally well.

http://www.dyndns.com
http://www.no-ip.com

General help, etc...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Kevin

Re: Remote Desktop: What is my IP
Trying to connect via internet.

Thanks!

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do you try to use remote desktop in home network or via the Internet?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> >
> > I am trying to set up Remote Desktop between two computers with Windows
> > Vista Ultimate.
> >
> > One computer is my PC at home and the other is my notebook.
> >
> > I followed the instruction from the help menu; looks simple enough, and I
> > think the problem I'm having is that I don't know what name to put for my
> > computer. When I look at the system page, there is listed [MyComputerName]
> > which I've tried, but I get the following error:
> >
> > "This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
> >
> > Remote Desktop cannot find the remote computer. Type the computer name or
> > IP
> > address again, and then try connecting. If the problem continues, ....
> > blah
> > blah blah"
> >
> > I then downloaded a program (FollowMeIPLite.exe) and checked my IP address
> > which I then tried as well, but recieve the following error message:
> >
> > "This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
> >
> > Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact ...."
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Could I get some advice?
> >
> > Thanks!

Kevin

Re: Remote Desktop: What is my IP
I see... probably not so simple for trying connecting from the internet, but
at least it can be done!

Thanks for your tips, I'll work on this. Thanks so much!

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> >
> > I am trying to set up Remote Desktop between two computers with Windows
> > Vista Ultimate.
> >
> > One computer is my PC at home and the other is my notebook.
> >
> > I followed the instruction from the help menu; looks simple enough, and I
> > think the problem I'm having is that I don't know what name to put for my
> > computer. When I look at the system page, there is listed [MyComputerName]
> > which I've tried, but I get the following error:
> >
> > "This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
> >
> > Remote Desktop cannot find the remote computer. Type the computer name or
> > IP
> > address again, and then try connecting. If the problem continues, ....
> > blah
> > blah blah"
> >
> > I then downloaded a program (FollowMeIPLite.exe) and checked my IP address
> > which I then tried as well, but recieve the following error message:
> >
> > "This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
> >
> > Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact ...."
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Could I get some advice?
> >
> > Thanks!

> If your calling the Remote Desktop (RDP) host from another PC on your local
> LAN use the private LAN IP (static is best). If your calling from a remote
> location use the public IP of the RDP host, ie. the IP assigned by your ISP.
> Remember that you need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 through any firewall or
> router the host PC is behind. Note its generally not a valid test to call
> the RDP host from another PC on your local LAN using the public IP, ie. the
> so called loopback test.
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ams/Basic.html
>
> I don't know about FollowMeIPLite but I use a free service from DynDNS that
> maps a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) to my ISP assigned IP address. I
> call my home LAN (and RDP host or SSH server or VPN server) using the FQDN
> from remote sites. If your router supports DynDNS or some similar service I
> recommend that. If your router does not support a DynDNS or other client you
> can run a small program on the RDP host that will contact the DynDNS or
> other provider on a time scheduled basis and subsequently maps the public IP
> to the FQDN. I have used No-IP in the past, which worked equally well.
>
> http://www.dyndns.com
> http://www.no-ip.com
>
> General help, etc...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

W J Rushton

Re: Remote Desktop: What is my IP
go to accessories, and find command prompt, at the command prompt type the
following

ipconfig

then press enter

Look for IPv4 address should be in a format of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

do that on both computers, Then use that to connect to either pc.

the reason for this is because if you type the name of the computer it can't
con respond the name to the ip address because you don't have a local DNS
(domain name server) to translate these addresses.

John