Can't see Vista computer on network

brianford

Can't see Vista computer on network
I run a home network. Got Vista Business on Laptop. Laptop can see and access
network compters shared files, however, no network computers (all running XP)
can see the Vista laptop. Windows firewall allows networking. Have tried with
Firewall off as well. All sharing options are turned on - discovery, file
sharing, public folder etc.
Does anyone have answers - I would really appreciate help.
brianford

RE: Can't see Vista computer on network

I should add to this that I use just one workgroup name for all computers -
the Vista laptop is the same as all the others.

"brianford" wrote:

> I run a home network. Got Vista Business on Laptop. Laptop can see and access
> network compters shared files, however, no network computers (all running XP)
> can see the Vista laptop. Windows firewall allows networking. Have tried with
> Firewall off as well. All sharing options are turned on - discovery, file
> sharing, public folder etc.
> Does anyone have answers - I would really appreciate help.

Mick Murphy

RE: Can't see Vista computer on network

This is a good link for help.

"brianford" wrote:

> I run a home network. Got Vista Business on Laptop. Laptop can see and access
> network compters shared files, however, no network computers (all running XP)
> can see the Vista laptop. Windows firewall allows networking. Have tried with
> Firewall off as well. All sharing options are turned on - discovery, file
> sharing, public folder etc.
> Does anyone have answers - I would really appreciate help.

brianford

RE: Can't see Vista computer on network
Thanks Mick. I have been through this step by step previously to check all
available steps. Nothing in there solves this issue. Any other suggestions?

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> This is a good link for help.
>
> "brianford" wrote:
>
> > I run a home network. Got Vista Business on Laptop. Laptop can see and access
> > network compters shared files, however, no network computers (all running XP)
> > can see the Vista laptop. Windows firewall allows networking. Have tried with
> > Firewall off as well. All sharing options are turned on - discovery, file
> > sharing, public folder etc.
> > Does anyone have answers - I would really appreciate help.

Mick Murphy

RE: Can't see Vista computer on network
Have you run the XP home network setup file and printer sharing wizard on the
XP comps with all computers hooked up, including the Vista one?

"brianford" wrote:

> Thanks Mick. I have been through this step by step previously to check all
> available steps. Nothing in there solves this issue. Any other suggestions?
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >
> > This is a good link for help.
> >
> > "brianford" wrote:
> >
> > > I run a home network. Got Vista Business on Laptop. Laptop can see and access
> > > network compters shared files, however, no network computers (all running XP)
> > > can see the Vista laptop. Windows firewall allows networking. Have tried with
> > > Firewall off as well. All sharing options are turned on - discovery, file
> > > sharing, public folder etc.
> > > Does anyone have answers - I would really appreciate help.

brianford

RE: Can't see Vista computer on network
Never used it. Using a Belkin router and never needed to go there. This is
likely to help? I was never sure whether this would mess up the current
networking set up by running this.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Have you run the XP home network setup file and printer sharing wizard on the
> XP comps with all computers hooked up, including the Vista one?
>
> "brianford" wrote:
>
> > Thanks Mick. I have been through this step by step previously to check all
> > available steps. Nothing in there solves this issue. Any other suggestions?
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> > >
> > > This is a good link for help.

brianford

RE: Can't see Vista computer on network
Hi Mick - did this but no luck. Vista computer is still invisible. No other
ideas?

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Have you run the XP home network setup file and printer sharing wizard on the
> XP comps with all computers hooked up, including the Vista one?
>
> "brianford" wrote:
>
> > Thanks Mick. I have been through this step by step previously to check all
> > available steps. Nothing in there solves this issue. Any other suggestions?
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> > >
> > > This is a good link for help.

Mick Murphy

RE: Can't see Vista computer on network
Diff time zone Brian! Thursday night here! Australia!
By any chance do you run a 3rd party Firewall? It could be blocking it.
I have XP and Vista with no probs, !
Workgroup name the same for XP and vista.
In vista
Network set to Private
Network Discovery ON
File sharing ON
Public folder Sharing ON {Public in Vista, is Shared Docs in XP}
Password protected OFF
Sorry Brian, but I am at a dead end!

"brianford" wrote:

> Hi Mick - did this but no luck. Vista computer is still invisible. No other
> ideas?
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Have you run the XP home network setup file and printer sharing wizard on the
> > XP comps with all computers hooked up, including the Vista one?
> >
> > "brianford" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Mick. I have been through this step by step previously to check all
> > > available steps. Nothing in there solves this issue. Any other suggestions?

brianford

RE: Can't see Vista computer on network
Only Windows firewall - and it's configured to let networking through. Tried
it with it off as well. And other computers firewall off as well. No 3rd
party firewall. All settings are as you stated. Thanks for trying.