IT or Network xpertise needed - strange no startup problem

Azin

IT or Network xpertise needed - strange no startup problem

those working with PC's and networks have you ever heard of a problem
like this, it's a real strange one:

If I startup the PC with the ethernet cable into the onboard (gigabyte)
network card then vista will hang when those little bars are going
across the screen (Isn't that the stage where the OS is loading up
drivers and things?). it will do this all day long with the cable
plugged in. To get the OS to boot I have to remove cable, switch off PC
at the power supply and also unplug. Then when i restart it will work
fine.

May be worth mentioning that the cable is coming from a D link DI 624
wireless router, although as said, i'm using a cable from said router.
I've checked as much as I know about on the router config screen. MAC
address filtering is disbled, besides I cloned my network cards MAC
address to the router already (thought router may still be looking for
the network card on my old PC). I've run the wizard too, rebooted the
router.

Not sure what I've missed [image:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_redface.gif] It
didn't have any problems supplying my XP pro PC with connection!

If I leave out the router of my network setup altogether and just plug
the internet cable from my ISP's cable modem direct to the PC's network
card then it will startup no problem, over and over.

Another thing worth mentioning is that if i start up the PC without the
internet cable plugged in and the OS is running and THEN i plug in the
cable coming from the router then i will have connection! [image:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_scratch.gif]
However on restarting or shutting down and restarting later whether the
cable is in or out of the network cable port, then it will block again.
it's as if it remember that the router was plugged in before and won't
start again!

Am I being dumb and missing a setting in Vista somewhere because i'm
not used to it? Or the router maybe? I could set it up OK for my XP pro
PC but maybe vista is different network wise?

I just don't get it though, how could a setting or router stop a whole
OS from booting up? OK, I can see maybe how I may have connection
problem due to router or vista settings, but to stop a whole OS starting
up? WTF.

Really getting on my tats now

--
Azin
Joe Guidera

Re: IT or Network xpertise needed - strange no startup problem
Try setting the NIC to force 100 Full Duplex instead of auto-detect. You
could also try 10MB Full Duplex as well. It's possible the hardware
handshake isn't occurring properly on a cold boot but thereafter is being
negotiated properly (in other words it's trying to insert at 1GB and being
stubborn about it because the Dlink isn't properly negotiating the link
speed). Also make sure you have the latest firmware on the Dlink.

Joe

"Azin" <Azin.2y8995@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> those working with PC's and networks have you ever heard of a problem
> like this, it's a real strange one:
>
> If I startup the PC with the ethernet cable into the onboard (gigabyte)
> network card then vista will hang when those little bars are going
> across the screen (Isn't that the stage where the OS is loading up
> drivers and things?). it will do this all day long with the cable
> plugged in. To get the OS to boot I have to remove cable, switch off PC
> at the power supply and also unplug. Then when i restart it will work
> fine.
>
> May be worth mentioning that the cable is coming from a D link DI 624
> wireless router, although as said, i'm using a cable from said router.
> I've checked as much as I know about on the router config screen. MAC
> address filtering is disbled, besides I cloned my network cards MAC
> address to the router already (thought router may still be looking for
> the network card on my old PC). I've run the wizard too, rebooted the
> router.
>
> Not sure what I've missed [image:
> http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_redface.gif] It
> didn't have any problems supplying my XP pro PC with connection!
>
> If I leave out the router of my network setup altogether and just plug
> the internet cable from my ISP's cable modem direct to the PC's network
> card then it will startup no problem, over and over.
>
> Another thing worth mentioning is that if i start up the PC without the
> internet cable plugged in and the OS is running and THEN i plug in the
> cable coming from the router then i will have connection! [image:
> http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_scratch.gif]
> However on restarting or shutting down and restarting later whether the
> cable is in or out of the network cable port, then it will block again.
> it's as if it remember that the router was plugged in before and won't
> start again!
>
> Am I being dumb and missing a setting in Vista somewhere because i'm
> not used to it? Or the router maybe? I could set it up OK for my XP pro
> PC but maybe vista is different network wise?
>
> I just don't get it though, how could a setting or router stop a whole
> OS from booting up? OK, I can see maybe how I may have connection
> problem due to router or vista settings, but to stop a whole OS starting
> up? WTF.
>
> Really getting on my tats now
>

> --
> Azin

tim

RE: IT or Network xpertise needed - strange no startup problem
My dad had the same problem. He then replaced his network card with a simple
one and it worked fine. Give it a go.

Tim

"Azin" wrote:

> those working with PC's and networks have you ever heard of a problem
> like this, it's a real strange one:
>
> If I startup the PC with the ethernet cable into the onboard (gigabyte)
> network card then vista will hang when those little bars are going
> across the screen (Isn't that the stage where the OS is loading up
> drivers and things?). it will do this all day long with the cable
> plugged in. To get the OS to boot I have to remove cable, switch off PC
> at the power supply and also unplug. Then when i restart it will work
> fine.
>
> May be worth mentioning that the cable is coming from a D link DI 624
> wireless router, although as said, i'm using a cable from said router.
> I've checked as much as I know about on the router config screen. MAC
> address filtering is disbled, besides I cloned my network cards MAC
> address to the router already (thought router may still be looking for
> the network card on my old PC). I've run the wizard too, rebooted the
> router.
>
> Not sure what I've missed [image:
> http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_redface.gif] It
> didn't have any problems supplying my XP pro PC with connection!
>
> If I leave out the router of my network setup altogether and just plug
> the internet cable from my ISP's cable modem direct to the PC's network
> card then it will startup no problem, over and over.
>
> Another thing worth mentioning is that if i start up the PC without the
> internet cable plugged in and the OS is running and THEN i plug in the
> cable coming from the router then i will have connection! [image:
> http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_scratch.gif]
> However on restarting or shutting down and restarting later whether the
> cable is in or out of the network cable port, then it will block again.
> it's as if it remember that the router was plugged in before and won't
> start again!
>
> Am I being dumb and missing a setting in Vista somewhere because i'm
> not used to it? Or the router maybe? I could set it up OK for my XP pro
> PC but maybe vista is different network wise?
>
> I just don't get it though, how could a setting or router stop a whole
> OS from booting up? OK, I can see maybe how I may have connection
> problem due to router or vista settings, but to stop a whole OS starting
> up? WTF.
>
> Really getting on my tats now
>

> --
> Azin

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: IT or Network xpertise needed - strange no startup problem
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC575371-43F0-4115-A4C2-767E4CF56D51@microsoft.com...
> My dad had the same problem. He then replaced his network card with a
> simple
> one and it worked fine. Give it a go.
>
> Tim
>
> "Azin" wrote:
>

>> those working with PC's and networks have you ever heard of a problem
>> like this, it's a real strange one:
>>
>> If I startup the PC with the ethernet cable into the onboard (gigabyte)
>> network card then vista will hang when those little bars are going
>> across the screen (Isn't that the stage where the OS is loading up
>> drivers and things?). it will do this all day long with the cable
>> plugged in. To get the OS to boot I have to remove cable, switch off PC
>> at the power supply and also unplug. Then when i restart it will work
>> fine.
>>
>> May be worth mentioning that the cable is coming from a D link DI 624
>> wireless router, although as said, i'm using a cable from said router.
>> I've checked as much as I know about on the router config screen. MAC
>> address filtering is disbled, besides I cloned my network cards MAC
>> address to the router already (thought router may still be looking for
>> the network card on my old PC). I've run the wizard too, rebooted the
>> router.
>>
>> Not sure what I've missed [image:
>> http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_redface.gif] It
>> didn't have any problems supplying my XP pro PC with connection!
>>
>> If I leave out the router of my network setup altogether and just plug
>> the internet cable from my ISP's cable modem direct to the PC's network
>> card then it will startup no problem, over and over.
>>
>> Another thing worth mentioning is that if i start up the PC without the
>> internet cable plugged in and the OS is running and THEN i plug in the
>> cable coming from the router then i will have connection! [image:
>> http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/i...n_scratch.gif]
>> However on restarting or shutting down and restarting later whether the
>> cable is in or out of the network cable port, then it will block again.
>> it's as if it remember that the router was plugged in before and won't
>> start again!
>>
>> Am I being dumb and missing a setting in Vista somewhere because i'm
>> not used to it? Or the router maybe? I could set it up OK for my XP pro
>> PC but maybe vista is different network wise?
>>
>> I just don't get it though, how could a setting or router stop a whole
>> OS from booting up? OK, I can see maybe how I may have connection
>> problem due to router or vista settings, but to stop a whole OS starting
>> up? WTF.
>>
>> Really getting on my tats now
>>

>> --
>> Azin

Azin

Re: IT or Network xpertise needed - strange no startup problem

Just for the record - I went out and bought a Linksys WRT150N wireless
router. From the very start went like a dream. Can restart PC, turn it
off and on, sleep, hibernate, whatever. No problems at all when the
Linksys connected.

D link is now dumped, gave it to a mates father

--
Azin
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: IT or Network xpertise needed - strange no startup problem
Thank you for the update.

--

"Azin" <Azin.3373g3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Just for the record - I went out and bought a Linksys WRT150N wireless
> router. From the very start went like a dream. Can restart PC, turn it
> off and on, sleep, hibernate, whatever. No problems at all when the
> Linksys connected.
>
> D link is now dumped, gave it to a mates father
>

> --
> Azin

Azin

Re: IT or Network xpertise needed - strange no startup problem

You're welcome. I tried everything with the D link plugged in but really
no way to fix the problem and I researched it allot!
Never heard of anything like it, but this Linksys is working like a
dream with exactly the same config I had on the dlink :s

--
Azin