Terminal Services Failure

Matt B

Terminal Services Failure
I am unable to remote into my Vista Business box. It was working fine one
day, then the next it stopped. I check the event log and I found this
message:

Terminal Service start failed. The relevant status code was No such
interface supported.

Source:LSM
Event ID: 1048

Checking the event log online help and google yielded no information. Does
anyone know how to fix this problem?

TIA

Matt

Travis

RE: Terminal Services Failure
Exact same error message showing up here just recently. Prevents me from
using terminal services on this computer at all. Have verified it is not a
firewall or anything else. Netstat shows that this computer is not listening
on the port. The relevent status code was No such interface supported

stevejbarnes@gmail.com

On Oct 10, 10:14 pm, Travis <Tra...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Exact same error message showing up here just recently. Prevents me from
> usingterminalservices on this computer at all. Have verified it is not a
> firewall or anything else. Netstat shows that this computer is not listening
> on the port. The relevent status code was No such interface supported
>

> "Matt B" wrote:
> > I am unable to remote into myVistaBusiness box. It was working fine one
> > day, then the next it stopped. I check theeventlog and I found this
> > message:

> >TerminalService start failed. The relevant status code was No such
> > interface supported.

> > Source:LSM
> >EventID:1048

> > Checking theeventlog online help and google yielded no information. Does
> > anyone know how to fix this problem?

> > TIA

> > Matt- Hide quoted text -

I am having the exact same problem. Did anyone figure out how to solve
this yet? This is driving me crazy!

thanks,

Steve sbarnes@florens.com

Jim Graham

Re: Terminal Services Failure
After hours of messing around with procmon, I fixed this problem on my machine.

I discovered I was getting Access Denied in the registry for the svchost.exe
that contained the terminal service, of course running as user "Network
Service." This was very widespread (many different keys in HKCR and
HKLM\Software), and my registry permissions matched a working machine. So, I
fixed it by adding "Network Service" to the "Administrators" group. (Yes,
bad.)

Here is the command:
net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Network Service" /add

I had a different problem earlier this month where adding "Local Service" to
the Adminstrators group was the fix. I found the method in this article:
http://www.xoxideforums.com/networki...ou-server.html

I can only assume the problems are related. Now I've totally undermined the
sercurity of my system by adding these service accounts to the Administrators
group, but I could find no other fix... (They are not designed to be in that
group per http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...1/12/XPKernel/)

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to them. This seemed to stem
from one of these patches, because Terminal Services ceased to function after
the reboot:
http://www.activewin.com/awin/commen...ineIndex=41091

Removing the patches did not seem to fix it.

I hope this all helps... be careful!