vista sharing with xp

NISAACS

vista sharing with xp
i have a vista laptop and 3 xp computers that are all on the same network and
workgroup. on my vista laptop i can acces all the shared files on the 3 xp
computers but when i try to access my shared files on my vista through the 3
xp computers i can see my shred folder but when i double click it says "not
accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource.
contact the administrator of thins server to find out if you have access
permissions"

one thing i have noticed is when im in my network window and i right click
on my shared media icon and go to properties the mac address is unavalible
and the ip changes all the time.

i also can connect to the printers from my vista laptop to my xp computer
printers. it says access denied also.

pleeeeeeez help ive waisted to much time working on it.
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: vista sharing with xp
There are many causes for not accessible. It could be permission, security
software or computer browser issues. These posts may help,

Solved: Vista is not accessiblePosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:00 pm Post
subject: Solved: Vista is not accessible, Reply with quote ... not
accessible. You might not have permission..." ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...71bbb4 f6e376
- Similar pages

Vista...is not accessible
Vista...is not accessible. Is not accessible because of Norton
Internet Security · Vista common issue - can see but access · Post your
questions, comments, ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanotaccessible.htm - Similar pages

Vista: is not accessible
Regarding the \\rod is not accessible, it could be firewall, name
resolution and computer browser issues. Can you do net use \\rodip? ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...dc651caa0499e6

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"NISAACS" <NISAACS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a vista laptop and 3 xp computers that are all on the same network
>and
> workgroup. on my vista laptop i can acces all the shared files on the 3 xp
> computers but when i try to access my shared files on my vista through the
> 3
> xp computers i can see my shred folder but when i double click it says
> "not
> accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource.
> contact the administrator of thins server to find out if you have access
> permissions"
>
> one thing i have noticed is when im in my network window and i right click
> on my shared media icon and go to properties the mac address is unavalible
> and the ip changes all the time.
>
> i also can connect to the printers from my vista laptop to my xp computer
> printers. it says access denied also.
>
> pleeeeeeez help ive waisted to much time working on it.

Mick Murphy

RE: vista sharing with xp

Have a read of the above.

"NISAACS" wrote:

> i have a vista laptop and 3 xp computers that are all on the same network and
> workgroup. on my vista laptop i can acces all the shared files on the 3 xp
> computers but when i try to access my shared files on my vista through the 3
> xp computers i can see my shred folder but when i double click it says "not
> accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource.
> contact the administrator of thins server to find out if you have access
> permissions"
>
> one thing i have noticed is when im in my network window and i right click
> on my shared media icon and go to properties the mac address is unavalible
> and the ip changes all the time.
>
> i also can connect to the printers from my vista laptop to my xp computer
> printers. it says access denied also.
>
> pleeeeeeez help ive waisted to much time working on it.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: vista sharing with xp
On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:30:01 -0700, NISAACS <NISAACS@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>i have a vista laptop and 3 xp computers that are all on the same network and
>workgroup. on my vista laptop i can acces all the shared files on the 3 xp
>computers but when i try to access my shared files on my vista through the 3
>xp computers i can see my shred folder but when i double click it says "not
>accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource.
>contact the administrator of thins server to find out if you have access
>permissions"
>
>one thing i have noticed is when im in my network window and i right click
>on my shared media icon and go to properties the mac address is unavalible
>and the ip changes all the time.
>
>i also can connect to the printers from my vista laptop to my xp computer
>printers. it says access denied also.
>
>pleeeeeeez help ive waisted to much time working on it.

The old "access denied" and its variants can have many, seemingly related,
causes.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ss-denied.html

Right now, the most common would be either the NetBT setting, or a personal
firewall.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

Networking with Windows Vista presents a few challenges not present in previous
operating systems.

To diagnose the problem, look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all",
"net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer. Read
this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
browstat!) (and note the use of the command window in Windows Vista):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Erwin Gomez

RE: vista sharing with xp
For those who are planning to Join a windows Vista machine in a WinNT domain
with different workstation platforms. I suggest you configure your machine
from scratch (factory default state), use the initial computer name you used
for manually adding to the domain.

for any other questions regarding Vista or any other platforms, please email
me: pong_gomez@yahoo.com; erwin_gomez@hotmail.com

Cheers!

Erwin Gomez