Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista to Vista network -- access denied (one direction)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2007
mvidal
 

Posts: n/a
Vista to Vista network -- access denied (one direction)
I am having a problem that seems to be very common with Vista. I have a home
network setup with a PC and a laptop, both running Vista. I can transfer
files from the PC to the laptop, but not from the laptop to the PC. When I
try the latter I get “Destination folder access denied.”

Similarly, when I try to access my Vista laptop from my Vista PC, I get an
“Access is denied error.”

I have tried the following:

1) Enable sharing and full permissions;
2) Create identical user accounts on both machines;
3) Disable all firewalls (except Windows Firewall);
4) Disable password protected sharing;
5) Computers are in same network;

Anyone figured this out yet?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2007
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista to Vista network -- access denied (one direction)
There are many causes for access denied. It could be permission, security
software or computer browser issues. These posts may help,

Solved: Vista is not accessible Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:00 pm Post
subject: Solved: Vista is not accessible, Reply with quote ... not
accessible. You might not have permission..." ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...71bbb4 f6e376
- Similar pages

Vista...is not accessible
Vista...is not accessible. Is not accessible because of Norton
Internet Security Vista common issue - can see but access Post your
questions, comments, ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanotaccessible.htm - Similar pages

Vista: is not accessible
Regarding the \\rod is not accessible, it could be firewall, name
resolution and computer browser issues. Can you do net use \\rodip? ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...dc651caa0499e6


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"mvidal" <mvidal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1E8E2FC6-5FFB-4970-AF83-F8D0060C0737@microsoft.com...
>I am having a problem that seems to be very common with Vista. I have a
>home
> network setup with a PC and a laptop, both running Vista. I can transfer
> files from the PC to the laptop, but not from the laptop to the PC. When I
> try the latter I get "Destination folder access denied."
>
> Similarly, when I try to access my Vista laptop from my Vista PC, I get an
> "Access is denied error."
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> 1) Enable sharing and full permissions;
> 2) Create identical user accounts on both machines;
> 3) Disable all firewalls (except Windows Firewall);
> 4) Disable password protected sharing;
> 5) Computers are in same network;
>
> Anyone figured this out yet?



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2007
mvidal
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista to Vista network -- access denied (one direction)
Thanks, but I've spent a couple of hours going through all these and trying
all the fiixes. I'm running Vista on both machines and the network works fine
going one direction but not the other. That is, I can connect from laptop to
PC folders, but not from PC to laptop folders; I can transfer PC files to the
laptop, but not laptop files to the PC.

Access to the laptop is denied, even though I have identical Admin accounts
on both machines with file sharing enabled and permissions set to full.

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> There are many causes for access denied. It could be permission, security
> software or computer browser issues. These posts may help,
>
> Solved: Vista is not accessible Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:00 pm Post
> subject: Solved: Vista is not accessible, Reply with quote ... not
> accessible. You might not have permission..." ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...71bbb4 f6e376
> - Similar pages
>
> Vista...is not accessible
> Vista...is not accessible. Is not accessible because of Norton
> Internet Security · Vista common issue - can see but access · Post your
> questions, comments, ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanotaccessible.htm - Similar pages
>
> Vista: is not accessible
> Regarding the \\rod is not accessible, it could be firewall, name
> resolution and computer browser issues. Can you do net use \\rodip? ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...dc651caa0499e6
>
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
>
> "mvidal" <mvidal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1E8E2FC6-5FFB-4970-AF83-F8D0060C0737@microsoft.com...
> >I am having a problem that seems to be very common with Vista. I have a
> >home
> > network setup with a PC and a laptop, both running Vista. I can transfer
> > files from the PC to the laptop, but not from the laptop to the PC. When I
> > try the latter I get "Destination folder access denied."
> >
> > Similarly, when I try to access my Vista laptop from my Vista PC, I get an
> > "Access is denied error."
> >
> > I have tried the following:
> >
> > 1) Enable sharing and full permissions;
> > 2) Create identical user accounts on both machines;
> > 3) Disable all firewalls (except Windows Firewall);
> > 4) Disable password protected sharing;
> > 5) Computers are in same network;
> >
> > Anyone figured this out yet?

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2007
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Vista to Vista network -- access denied (one direction)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

Have you had a read of the above?

"mvidal" wrote:

> I am having a problem that seems to be very common with Vista. I have a home
> network setup with a PC and a laptop, both running Vista. I can transfer
> files from the PC to the laptop, but not from the laptop to the PC. When I
> try the latter I get “Destination folder access denied.”
>
> Similarly, when I try to access my Vista laptop from my Vista PC, I get an
> “Access is denied error.”
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> 1) Enable sharing and full permissions;
> 2) Create identical user accounts on both machines;
> 3) Disable all firewalls (except Windows Firewall);
> 4) Disable password protected sharing;
> 5) Computers are in same network;
>
> Anyone figured this out yet?

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2007
Chuck [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista to Vista network -- access denied (one direction)
On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 19:28:00 -0700, mvidal <mvidal@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am having a problem that seems to be very common with Vista. I have a home
>network setup with a PC and a laptop, both running Vista. I can transfer
>files from the PC to the laptop, but not from the laptop to the PC. When I
>try the latter I get Destination folder access denied.
>
>Similarly, when I try to access my Vista laptop from my Vista PC, I get an
>Access is denied error.
>
>I have tried the following:
>
>1) Enable sharing and full permissions;
>2) Create identical user accounts on both machines;
>3) Disable all firewalls (except Windows Firewall);
>4) Disable password protected sharing;
>5) Computers are in same network;
>
>Anyone figured this out yet?


If you disabled PPS (#4), creating identical user accounts on both computers
(#2) is a waste of time.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

You have to enable Guest, for network access, on both computers.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Activate

The old "access denied" error can have many causes.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ss-denied.html

It's possible that you need to slow down, and work on the problem methodically.
You have to fix all causes simultaneously, and that will happen most easily if
you learn to fix, and test, one problem at a time.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2007
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista to Vista network -- access denied (one direction)
Do a simple test. Post back with the system error and code # of net use
\\laptopipaddress command in PC. laptopipaddress is the laptop ip address.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"mvidal" <mvidal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C76E0505-9D41-4741-B220-A7285E1A319C@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, but I've spent a couple of hours going through all these and
> trying
> all the fiixes. I'm running Vista on both machines and the network works
> fine
> going one direction but not the other. That is, I can connect from laptop
> to
> PC folders, but not from PC to laptop folders; I can transfer PC files to
> the
> laptop, but not laptop files to the PC.
>
> Access to the laptop is denied, even though I have identical Admin
> accounts
> on both machines with file sharing enabled and permissions set to full.
>
> "Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> There are many causes for access denied. It could be permission, security
>> software or computer browser issues. These posts may help,
>>
>> Solved: Vista is not accessible Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:00 pm Post
>> subject: Solved: Vista is not accessible, Reply with quote ... not
>> accessible. You might not have permission..." ...
>>
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...71bbb4 f6e376
>> - Similar pages
>>
>> Vista...is not accessible
>> Vista...is not accessible. Is not accessible because of Norton
>> Internet Security Vista common issue - can see but access Post your
>> questions, comments, ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanotaccessible.htm - Similar pages
>>
>> Vista: is not accessible
>> Regarding the \\rod is not accessible, it could be firewall, name
>> resolution and computer browser issues. Can you do net use \\rodip? ...
>>
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...dc651caa0499e6
>>
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>
>>
>> "mvidal" <mvidal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1E8E2FC6-5FFB-4970-AF83-F8D0060C0737@microsoft.com...
>> >I am having a problem that seems to be very common with Vista. I have a
>> >home
>> > network setup with a PC and a laptop, both running Vista. I can
>> > transfer
>> > files from the PC to the laptop, but not from the laptop to the PC.
>> > When I
>> > try the latter I get "Destination folder access denied."
>> >
>> > Similarly, when I try to access my Vista laptop from my Vista PC, I get
>> > an
>> > "Access is denied error."
>> >
>> > I have tried the following:
>> >
>> > 1) Enable sharing and full permissions;
>> > 2) Create identical user accounts on both machines;
>> > 3) Disable all firewalls (except Windows Firewall);
>> > 4) Disable password protected sharing;
>> > 5) Computers are in same network;
>> >
>> > Anyone figured this out yet?

>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2007
mvidal
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista to Vista network -- access denied (one direction)
Everyone: Thanks for your help.

Robert: I assume by what you wrote you meant: in my PC, open up Run, type in
\\laptopipaddress but with my actual laptop name (e.g., \\TOSHIBAipaddress)?
It says Network Error. Windows cannot access \\TOSHIBAipaddress. Error code:
0x80070035. The network path was not found.

Mick: Yes I read the entire thing and did everything according to
specification.

Chuck: I'll take some time and go through the links you sent. Thanks.

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 19:28:00 -0700, mvidal <mvidal@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I am having a problem that seems to be very common with Vista. I have a home
> >network setup with a PC and a laptop, both running Vista. I can transfer
> >files from the PC to the laptop, but not from the laptop to the PC. When I
> >try the latter I get “Destination folder access denied.”
> >
> >Similarly, when I try to access my Vista laptop from my Vista PC, I get an
> >“Access is denied error.”
> >
> >I have tried the following:
> >
> >1) Enable sharing and full permissions;
> >2) Create identical user accounts on both machines;
> >3) Disable all firewalls (except Windows Firewall);
> >4) Disable password protected sharing;
> >5) Computers are in same network;
> >
> >Anyone figured this out yet?

>
> If you disabled PPS (#4), creating identical user accounts on both computers
> (#2) is a waste of time.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>
> You have to enable Guest, for network access, on both computers.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Activate
>
> The old "access denied" error can have many causes.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ss-denied.html
>
> It's possible that you need to slow down, and work on the problem methodically.
> You have to fix all causes simultaneously, and that will happen most easily if
> you learn to fix, and test, one problem at a time.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home network - Printer access denied from Vista PC to XP PC Bill microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 10-30-2009 21:42
Network Vista to XP - Access Denied only Vista to XP Jeff microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 16 10-11-2007 16:27
Network Access Denied Vince microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 9 04-02-2007 22:58
Vista "Access Is Denied" Trying to Access Network Share justin.richert@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 03-26-2007 13:18
Home Network Access Denied =?Utf-8?B?QXNo?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 02-23-2007 02:24




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:42.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120