Network Vista to XP - Access Denied only Vista to XP

Jeff

Network Vista to XP - Access Denied only Vista to XP
Hi,

I believe I've exhausted most of the suggestions in this forum; but, I am
still unsuccesful in my attempt to get the two computers to share files in
both directions.

I will try to recap the system details and the efforts to network as of now.

Problem: The Vista machine sees the XP machine; but, when I try to expand
the XP machine by double-clicking on it, I get an error message that the XP
machine is not accessible and that access is denied (immediately). If,
however, I look at the network from the XP machine I see the Vista machine,
and when I double-click on the Vista machine icon, it expands to show the
various folders. I can also transfer files from the XP machine to the Vista
machine.

The basics of the system are as follows:

1. XP machine running SP2.
2. Vista machine is new with most current updates.
3. The machines are connected through an SMC wireless router; however, the
two machines are connected in a wired configuration.
4. I have an administrator account with the same name and same password set
up on each system.
5. The network name is the same on both systems.
6. File sharing is enabled on both systems.
7. Both networks are set up as private.
8. I even went so far as to uninstall Norton Internet Security and install
Kaspersky Internet Security 7.
9. I can ping the Vista computer from the XP computer.
10. I can ping the XP computer from the Vista computer.
11. I have used the network configuration wizard on the XP system.
12. I uninstalled both Counter Spy and Spy Sweeper.

I may have left a few things out; but, those are the highlights.

The thing that sticks out is that the error message appears immediately when
I double-click on the XP icon when on the Vista system.

I'm out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Vista to XP - Access Denied only Vista to XP
You did most troubleshooting we can think about. Try one more test. What do
you receive if using net use \\xpipaddress\sharedname?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6FDDF7A-B056-43A2-B847-D10AE98D8BC0@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I believe I've exhausted most of the suggestions in this forum; but, I am
> still unsuccesful in my attempt to get the two computers to share files in
> both directions.
>
> I will try to recap the system details and the efforts to network as of
> now.
>
> Problem: The Vista machine sees the XP machine; but, when I try to expand
> the XP machine by double-clicking on it, I get an error message that the
> XP
> machine is not accessible and that access is denied (immediately). If,
> however, I look at the network from the XP machine I see the Vista
> machine,
> and when I double-click on the Vista machine icon, it expands to show the
> various folders. I can also transfer files from the XP machine to the
> Vista
> machine.
>
> The basics of the system are as follows:
>
> 1. XP machine running SP2.
> 2. Vista machine is new with most current updates.
> 3. The machines are connected through an SMC wireless router; however, the
> two machines are connected in a wired configuration.
> 4. I have an administrator account with the same name and same password
> set
> up on each system.
> 5. The network name is the same on both systems.
> 6. File sharing is enabled on both systems.
> 7. Both networks are set up as private.
> 8. I even went so far as to uninstall Norton Internet Security and install
> Kaspersky Internet Security 7.
> 9. I can ping the Vista computer from the XP computer.
> 10. I can ping the XP computer from the Vista computer.
> 11. I have used the network configuration wizard on the XP system.
> 12. I uninstalled both Counter Spy and Spy Sweeper.
>
> I may have left a few things out; but, those are the highlights.
>
> The thing that sticks out is that the error message appears immediately
> when
> I double-click on the XP icon when on the Vista system.
>
> I'm out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

Chuck [MVP]

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 07:20:01 -0700, Jeff <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I believe I've exhausted most of the suggestions in this forum; but, I am
>still unsuccesful in my attempt to get the two computers to share files in
>both directions.
>
>I will try to recap the system details and the efforts to network as of now.
>
>Problem: The Vista machine sees the XP machine; but, when I try to expand
>the XP machine by double-clicking on it, I get an error message that the XP
>machine is not accessible and that access is denied (immediately). If,
>however, I look at the network from the XP machine I see the Vista machine,
>and when I double-click on the Vista machine icon, it expands to show the
>various folders. I can also transfer files from the XP machine to the Vista
>machine.
>
>The basics of the system are as follows:
>
>1. XP machine running SP2.
>2. Vista machine is new with most current updates.
>3. The machines are connected through an SMC wireless router; however, the
>two machines are connected in a wired configuration.
>4. I have an administrator account with the same name and same password set
>up on each system.
>5. The network name is the same on both systems.
>6. File sharing is enabled on both systems.
>7. Both networks are set up as private.
>8. I even went so far as to uninstall Norton Internet Security and install
>Kaspersky Internet Security 7.
>9. I can ping the Vista computer from the XP computer.
>10. I can ping the XP computer from the Vista computer.
>11. I have used the network configuration wizard on the XP system.
>12. I uninstalled both Counter Spy and Spy Sweeper.
>
>I may have left a few things out; but, those are the highlights.
>
>The thing that sticks out is that the error message appears immediately when
>I double-click on the XP icon when on the Vista system.
>
>I'm out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jeff

Jeff,

When you say "File sharing is enabled", do you maybe mean Simple File Sharing on
the XP computer? What's the setting for Password Protected Sharing on the Vista
computer?

If you're using SFS (XP) / PPS Disabled (Vista), is the Guest account activated
for network access, on both computers? Remember in this case administrative
accounts are worthless for network access.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Activate

Both Norton and Kaspersky contain an anti-worm component that could cause the
problem. Have you tried un installing both, as a baseline test?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

And there is a currently reported problem with an Internet Explorer update (yes,
I said IE) which may affect Windows Networking.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/09/changes-in-internet-explorer-security.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...-security.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Chuck [MVP]

> [...]

the XP computer? What's the setting for Password Protected Sharing on the Vista
computer?

If you're using SFS (XP) / PPS Disabled (Vista), is the Guest account activated
for network access, on both computers? Remember in this case administrative
accounts are worthless for network access.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Activate

Both Norton and Kaspersky contain an anti-worm component that could cause the
problem. Have you tried un installing both, as a baseline test?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

And there is a currently reported problem with an Internet Explorer update (yes,
I said IE) which may affect Windows Networking.

I'd also look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the
problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!) (note the command window in Vista):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Jeff

Re: Network Vista to XP - Access Denied only Vista to XP
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On both machines I receive the following message after typing
"\\xpipaddress\sharedname":

"The network path was not found."

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You did most troubleshooting we can think about. Try one more test. What do
> you receive if using net use \\xpipaddress\sharedname?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news6FDDF7A-B056-43A2-B847-D10AE98D8BC0@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I believe I've exhausted most of the suggestions in this forum; but, I am
> > still unsuccesful in my attempt to get the two computers to share files in
> > both directions.
> >
> > I will try to recap the system details and the efforts to network as of
> > now.
> >
> > Problem: The Vista machine sees the XP machine; but, when I try to expand
> > the XP machine by double-clicking on it, I get an error message that the
> > XP
> > machine is not accessible and that access is denied (immediately). If,
> > however, I look at the network from the XP machine I see the Vista
> > machine,
> > and when I double-click on the Vista machine icon, it expands to show the
> > various folders. I can also transfer files from the XP machine to the
> > Vista
> > machine.
> >
> > The basics of the system are as follows:
> >
> > 1. XP machine running SP2.
> > 2. Vista machine is new with most current updates.
> > 3. The machines are connected through an SMC wireless router; however, the
> > two machines are connected in a wired configuration.
> > 4. I have an administrator account with the same name and same password
> > set
> > up on each system.
> > 5. The network name is the same on both systems.
> > 6. File sharing is enabled on both systems.
> > 7. Both networks are set up as private.
> > 8. I even went so far as to uninstall Norton Internet Security and install
> > Kaspersky Internet Security 7.
> > 9. I can ping the Vista computer from the XP computer.
> > 10. I can ping the XP computer from the Vista computer.
> > 11. I have used the network configuration wizard on the XP system.
> > 12. I uninstalled both Counter Spy and Spy Sweeper.
> >
> > I may have left a few things out; but, those are the highlights.
> >
> > The thing that sticks out is that the error message appears immediately
> > when
> > I double-click on the XP icon when on the Vista system.
> >
> > I'm out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jeff

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Vista to XP - Access Denied only Vista to XP
Sorry, "xpipaddress" should be the XP computer IP address. For example net
use \\192.168.12\mydatad. You can find the ipconfig using ipconfig command.

--

> [...]
>> > set
>> > up on each system.
>> > 5. The network name is the same on both systems.
>> > 6. File sharing is enabled on both systems.
>> > 7. Both networks are set up as private.
>> > 8. I even went so far as to uninstall Norton Internet Security and
>> > install
>> > Kaspersky Internet Security 7.
>> > 9. I can ping the Vista computer from the XP computer.
>> > 10. I can ping the XP computer from the Vista computer.
>> > 11. I have used the network configuration wizard on the XP system.
>> > 12. I uninstalled both Counter Spy and Spy Sweeper.
>> >
>> > I may have left a few things out; but, those are the highlights.
>> >
>> > The thing that sticks out is that the error message appears immediately
>> > when
>> > I double-click on the XP icon when on the Vista system.
>> >
>> > I'm out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Re: Network Vista to XP - Access Denied only Vista to XP
Hi Bob,

I guess that was a case of being too literal.

The following are the results:

XP System: "The specified network name is no longer valid."

Vista System: "The network name cannot be found."

Thanks

Jeff

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Sorry, "xpipaddress" should be the XP computer IP address. For example net
> use \\192.168.12\mydatad. You can find the ipconfig using ipconfig command.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Bob,
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply.
> >
> > On both machines I receive the following message after typing
> > "\\xpipaddress\sharedname":
> >
> > "The network path was not found."
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > "Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> You did most troubleshooting we can think about. Try one more test. What
> >> do
> >> you receive if using net use \\xpipaddress\sharedname?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >>

> >> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news6FDDF7A-B056-43A2-B847-D10AE98D8BC0@microsoft.com...

Jeff

Re: Network Vista to XP - Access Denied only Vista to XP
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your resply.

I am working through the information you provided.

I'll report back.

Thanks

Jeff

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 11:01:01 -0700, Jeff <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]

>> accounts are worthless for network access.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Activate
>>
>> Both Norton and Kaspersky contain an anti-worm component that could cause the
>> problem. Have you tried un installing both, as a baseline test?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html
>>
>> And there is a currently reported problem with an Internet Explorer update (yes,
>> I said IE) which may affect Windows Networking.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/09/changes-in-internet-explorer-security.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...-security.html

>Hi Chuck,
>
>Thanks for your resply.
>
>I am working through the information you provided.

OK, Jeff,

If the error is "Network name not found", aka Error 53, concentrate on the last
2 possibilities. And look at general name resolution issues.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-53-aka-name-not-found.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...not-found.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Vista to XP - Access Denied only Vista to XP
I wish you post the system error code. I assume it is system error 67. These
links may help,

The network name cannot be foundThe network name cannot be found ... You
cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this
forum You cannot edit your posts in this ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=451

The specified network name is no longer valid
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=3023#3023