633 and 797 error messages

Daave

633 and 797 error messages
A friend of mine has an HP Pavilion Slimline s7712n Desktop PC. He is
running Vista Home Premium and uses an Agere Systems US 2.0 Soft Modem
(on
COM 3) for a dial-up connection to his ISP, Net Zero.

For quite a while now, he has been getting 633 and 797 error messages.
The first one says "port already open or in use" and the second one says
"a connection to the remote computer could not be established / modem
was not found or busy."

I had a brief look at it yesterday (I told him I'd need to return to
spend more time with it). This is what I saw:

There is no modem in Device Manager. There is one exclamation mark in
Device Manager next to Microsoft 6to4 Adapter. My guess is this is the
source of his problems. I'd imagine it's totally unnecessary for him as
well. It appears he has the most recent driver for his modem (2.1.77.0).

My tentative plan for my next visit will be to remove the 6to4 adapter
from Device Manager. How is this best done? Through Device Manager? Or
should I remove IPv6 (there are directions for this on the Microsoft
site*)? Or should I do both?

I'm thinking I need to uninstall/reinstall both Dial-Up Networking and
the modem. Do I need to unplug/replug the modem? What is the best way to
do this?

Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance.

*
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

--
Dave

PeeCee

Re: 633 and 797 error messages
"Daave" <dcwashNOSPAM@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message
>A friend of mine has an HP Pavilion Slimline s7712n Desktop PC. He is
> running Vista Home Premium and uses an Agere Systems US 2.0 Soft Modem
> (on
> COM 3) for a dial-up connection to his ISP, Net Zero.
>
> For quite a while now, he has been getting 633 and 797 error messages.
> The first one says "port already open or in use" and the second one says
> "a connection to the remote computer could not be established / modem
> was not found or busy."
>
> I had a brief look at it yesterday (I told him I'd need to return to
> spend more time with it). This is what I saw:
>
> There is no modem in Device Manager. There is one exclamation mark in
> Device Manager next to Microsoft 6to4 Adapter. My guess is this is the
> source of his problems. I'd imagine it's totally unnecessary for him as
> well. It appears he has the most recent driver for his modem (2.1.77.0).
>
> My tentative plan for my next visit will be to remove the 6to4 adapter
> from Device Manager. How is this best done? Through Device Manager? Or
> should I remove IPv6 (there are directions for this on the Microsoft
> site*)? Or should I do both?
>
> I'm thinking I need to uninstall/reinstall both Dial-Up Networking and
> the modem. Do I need to unplug/replug the modem? What is the best way to
> do this?
>
> Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance.
>
> *
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
>
> --
> Dave

Dave

There is a good chance unplugging the modem, cleaning the contacts and
reinserting it will be all you will need to do.
If that does not work then most likely the modem has died and needs to be
replaced.

Note the Microsoft 6to4 adapter is concerned with conversion of IPV6 and
IPV4 IP address's and does have some history of problems as evidenced here:
http://search.microsoft.com/results....apter&x=10&y=5
My advice from what I've read there is to leave it alone.

Best
Paul.

Daave

PeeCee wrote:
> "Daave" <dcwashNOSPAM@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message
>> A friend of mine has an HP Pavilion Slimline s7712n Desktop PC. He is
>> running Vista Home Premium and uses an Agere Systems US 2.0 Soft
>> Modem (on
>> COM 3) for a dial-up connection to his ISP, Net Zero.
>>
>> For quite a while now, he has been getting 633 and 797 error
>> messages.
>> The first one says "port already open or in use" and the second one
>> says "a connection to the remote computer could not be established /
>> modem
>> was not found or busy."
>>
>> I had a brief look at it yesterday (I told him I'd need to return to
>> spend more time with it). This is what I saw:
>>
>> There is no modem in Device Manager. There is one exclamation mark in
>> Device Manager next to Microsoft 6to4 Adapter. My guess is this is
>> the
>> source of his problems. I'd imagine it's totally unnecessary for him
>> as
>> well. It appears he has the most recent driver for his modem
>> (2.1.77.0).
>>
>> My tentative plan for my next visit will be to remove the 6to4
>> adapter
>> from Device Manager. How is this best done? Through Device Manager?
>> Or
>> should I remove IPv6 (there are directions for this on the Microsoft
>> site*)? Or should I do both?
>>
>> I'm thinking I need to uninstall/reinstall both Dial-Up Networking
>> and
>> the modem. Do I need to unplug/replug the modem? What is the best
>> way to
>> do this?
>>
>> Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> *

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

> Dave
>
> There is a good chance unplugging the modem, cleaning the contacts and
> reinserting it will be all you will need to do.
> If that does not work then most likely the modem has died and needs
> to be
> replaced.
>
> Note the Microsoft 6to4 adapter is concerned with conversion of IPV6
> and
> IPV4 IP address's and does have some history of problems as evidenced
> here:

http://search.microsoft.com/results....apter&x=10&y=5
> My advice from what I've read there is to leave it alone.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Thanks for the feedback, Paul. By the way, I had already read a number
of those threads, including:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...9899&SiteID=17

where someone seemed to have success in removing the 6to4 adapter. But I
will leave it alone for now. However I am thinking of removing IPv6.
Good idea?

Also, if I need to reinstall drivers, there is no installation disk. I
assume there is a folder on C: drive I could point to. What should I
look for?

> [...]

>> Note the Microsoft 6to4 adapter is concerned with conversion of IPV6
>> and
>> IPV4 IP address's and does have some history of problems as evidenced
>> here:
>>

> http://search.microsoft.com/results....apter&x=10&y=5
>> My advice from what I've read there is to leave it alone.
>>
>> Best
>> Paul.

> Thanks for the feedback, Paul. By the way, I had already read a number
> of those threads, including:
>
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...9899&SiteID=17
>
> where someone seemed to have success in removing the 6to4 adapter. But I
> will leave it alone for now. However I am thinking of removing IPv6.
> Good idea?
>
> Also, if I need to reinstall drivers, there is no installation disk. I
> assume there is a folder on C: drive I could point to. What should I

Dave

Even though it shows and error I would tend to leave the 6to4 adaptor there
as it is a known fault condition and Microsoft says it is not an issue.

If the modem has popped out of it's socket, or dirty contacts means the
modem is not detected at start up then Windows will not load the drivers (as
you indicated in your OP)
Under those circumstances reseating the modem/cleaning the contacts Windows
will automatically load the drivers next time it starts and they will appear
in the driver list, provided of course you havent deleted the drivers by
finding the files in the Windows folder.

If reseating/cleaning does not make the modem come back you 'may' find the
drivers on IBM's website listed seperately.
My guess is however it would be simpler to install a new modem which should
come with drivers anyway.

Cheers
Paul.

Daave

PeeCee wrote:

> Even though it shows and error I would tend to leave the 6to4 adaptor
> there
> as it is a known fault condition and Microsoft says it is not an
> issue.
>
> If the modem has popped out of it's socket, or dirty contacts means
> the
> modem is not detected at start up then Windows will not load the
> drivers (as
> you indicated in your OP)
> Under those circumstances reseating the modem/cleaning the contacts
> Windows
> will automatically load the drivers next time it starts and they will
> appear
> in the driver list, provided of course you havent deleted the drivers
> by
> finding the files in the Windows folder.
>
> If reseating/cleaning does not make the modem come back you 'may'
> find the
> drivers on IBM's website listed seperately.
> My guess is however it would be simpler to install a new modem which
> should
> come with drivers anyway.

Thanks for the advice, Paul.