Cannot connect to XP Printer from Vista Home Basic

guy

Cannot connect to XP Printer from Vista Home Basic
I have successfully connected my XP desktop to my new Vista desktop with file
sharing working fine but cannot connect my XP printer to my vista desktop.
When adding a printer in Vista, I see the XP printer but when trying to load
it I get the following error: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. There
is not enough memory to complete the application. Please close some programs
and try again."

My XP Printer is a Samsung ML-1210. I close all open windows as well as all
extra applications on my system tray but still get the same message when
trying to load the printer in Vista.

My network in Vista is set as private with printer sharing enabled. And I'm
able to share the printer on other XP systems on the same network. The
workgroup is the same for the XP desktop, Vista desktop (and other computers
on the network that can access the printer OK).

Any ideas?
Michael O

Re: Cannot connect to XP Printer from Vista Home Basic
The printing system in Vista is not the same as XP. When you connect to the
printer on the XP machine, it tries to install incompatible XP drivers. You
may be able to install the printer locally (even though it isn't there)
provided Vista has drivers or the manufacturer has released Vista drivers,
and then change the port to \\xpmachine\printersharename .

"guy" <guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have successfully connected my XP desktop to my new Vista desktop with
>file
> sharing working fine but cannot connect my XP printer to my vista desktop.
> When adding a printer in Vista, I see the XP printer but when trying to
> load
> it I get the following error: "Windows cannot connect to the printer.
> There
> is not enough memory to complete the application. Please close some
> programs
> and try again."
>
> My XP Printer is a Samsung ML-1210. I close all open windows as well as
> all
> extra applications on my system tray but still get the same message when
> trying to load the printer in Vista.
>
> My network in Vista is set as private with printer sharing enabled. And
> I'm
> able to share the printer on other XP systems on the same network. The
> workgroup is the same for the XP desktop, Vista desktop (and other
> computers
> on the network that can access the printer OK).
>
> Any ideas?

guy

Re: Cannot connect to XP Printer from Vista Home Basic
Thanks for the advice Michael. I loaded the printer in Vista but had a
problem understanding exactly how to configure the port to the XP desktop.
So I went to the desktop computer in NETWORK and was able to drill down on it
and see the printer. From there I right clicked on CONNECT and the printer
connected jsut fine, able to print a test page from my Vista desktop. I`m
good to go now. It was good to know that trying to connect to the printer
without loading a Vista device driver would cause a problem. I should have
thought of that!

Thanks,
Guy

"Michael O" wrote:

> The printing system in Vista is not the same as XP. When you connect to the
> printer on the XP machine, it tries to install incompatible XP drivers. You
> may be able to install the printer locally (even though it isn't there)
> provided Vista has drivers or the manufacturer has released Vista drivers,
> and then change the port to \\xpmachine\printersharename .
>
> "guy" <guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have successfully connected my XP desktop to my new Vista desktop with
> >file
> > sharing working fine but cannot connect my XP printer to my vista desktop.
> > When adding a printer in Vista, I see the XP printer but when trying to
> > load
> > it I get the following error: "Windows cannot connect to the printer.
> > There
> > is not enough memory to complete the application. Please close some
> > programs
> > and try again."
> >
> > My XP Printer is a Samsung ML-1210. I close all open windows as well as
> > all
> > extra applications on my system tray but still get the same message when
> > trying to load the printer in Vista.
> >
> > My network in Vista is set as private with printer sharing enabled. And
> > I'm
> > able to share the printer on other XP systems on the same network. The
> > workgroup is the same for the XP desktop, Vista desktop (and other
> > computers
> > on the network that can access the printer OK).
> >
> > Any ideas?

dilip badaik

Re: Cannot connect to XP Printer from Vista Home Basic

ok dear,
1st you have to printer driver install without plug printer if ask plug
printer skip the step and finish all step. i.e. supported vista driver
than tring to connect xp machince.

hope u find the soluation
Dilip badaik
09221559099