XP Home/Vista network

kemtek

XP Home/Vista network
I am trying to set up file sharing between an XP Home PC and a Vista laptop.
The PC can see files on the laptop. The laptop can see the PC, but when I
click on the PC, I get the following error:

\\XP_DESKTOP is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions.

Access is denied.

As far as I know, all permissions are set to allow access both ways. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: XP Home/Vista network
Hello kemtek,

If you haven't already, I suggest that you walk through the steps in this
TechNet Article and see if this helps you.

Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"kemtek" <kemtek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to set up file sharing between an XP Home PC and a Vista
>laptop.
> The PC can see files on the laptop. The laptop can see the PC, but when I
> click on the PC, I get the following error:
>
> \\XP_DESKTOP is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you have access permissions.
>
> Access is denied.
>
> As far as I know, all permissions are set to allow access both ways. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

kemtek

Re: XP Home/Vista network
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Hello kemtek,
>
> If you haven't already, I suggest that you walk through the steps in this
> TechNet Article and see if this helps you.

> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "kemtek" <kemtek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to set up file sharing between an XP Home PC and a Vista
> >laptop.
> > The PC can see files on the laptop. The laptop can see the PC, but when I
> > click on the PC, I get the following error:
> >
> > \\XP_DESKTOP is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> > you have access permissions.
> >
> > Access is denied.
> >
> > As far as I know, all permissions are set to allow access both ways. Any
> > help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.

Mick Murphy

RE: XP Home/Vista network
And run the XP network setup wizard to allow file and printer sharing.

"kemtek" wrote:

> I am trying to set up file sharing between an XP Home PC and a Vista laptop.
> The PC can see files on the laptop. The laptop can see the PC, but when I
> click on the PC, I get the following error:
>
> \\XP_DESKTOP is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you have access permissions.
>
> Access is denied.
>
> As far as I know, all permissions are set to allow access both ways. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

kemtek

Re: XP Home/Vista network
I've read and followed the steps in this article without any luck. I can see
the XP desktop from the Vista laptop, but I can't actually access the shared
folders on the XP machine.

The Vista machine is set up with the same workgroup name as the XP machine,
and it's set for no password protected file sharing. When I go to Start >
Network, I see the XP. If I double-click on the XP, I get the access denied
error.

On the XP, I can see and access the shared folders on the Vista machine
without any problems.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.