Fresh Vista Install Cannot Access Internet

c3k

Fresh Vista Install Cannot Access Internet

Help!!

I've just performed a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64 on a new
machine. Vista is activated and working.

I CANNOT get the network wizard to connect to the internet.

I have a cable modem hooked to a Linksys BEFSX41 Firewall/Router. There
are two WindowsXP machines directly connected to the BEFSX41
Firewall/Router. They have internet connectivity.

The Vista64 machine is based on an Abit IP-35 Pro motherboard. Only one
of the Realtek LAN/ethernet ports is linked to the BEFSX41 Router.

When I try to ping the router's address (198.162.1.1) from the
vista64's command prompt, I get a failure; code 1231.

What's going on?

Why won't vista64 recognize the connection??

Why did vista try (initially) to set me up with a broadband WAN PPPOE
connection?? My ISP (TimeWarner Cable) runs off DHCP protocols, but I
can't get that to work.

I'm sinking..........

Thanks,
Ken

--
c3k
Mick Murphy

RE: Fresh Vista Install Cannot Access Internet
You must have been on the net to get it activated.
What happens if you connect to your router via a Cat5 cable?
Is there a SSID Network set up with the other computers?

"c3k" wrote:

> Help!!
>
> I've just performed a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64 on a new
> machine. Vista is activated and working.
>
> I CANNOT get the network wizard to connect to the internet.
>
> I have a cable modem hooked to a Linksys BEFSX41 Firewall/Router. There
> are two WindowsXP machines directly connected to the BEFSX41
> Firewall/Router. They have internet connectivity.
>
> The Vista64 machine is based on an Abit IP-35 Pro motherboard. Only one
> of the Realtek LAN/ethernet ports is linked to the BEFSX41 Router.
>
> When I try to ping the router's address (198.162.1.1) from the
> vista64's command prompt, I get a failure; code 1231.
>
> What's going on?
>
> Why won't vista64 recognize the connection??
>
> Why did vista try (initially) to set me up with a broadband WAN PPPOE
> connection?? My ISP (TimeWarner Cable) runs off DHCP protocols, but I
> can't get that to work.
>
> I'm sinking..........
>
> Thanks,
> Ken
>

> --
> c3k

mathews2010

Re: Fresh Vista Install Cannot Access Internet

There is absolutely no way u can activate your edition without internet
access...unless something totally went weird..and also its probably your
router...it might need to be updated..same goes for your
motherboard..was like that for me before i downloaded it all

--
mathews2010

- ::Intel Quad Core (Q6600)::
- ::226BW Samsung::
- ::Nvidia 8400 GS::
- ::320 GB Seagate HDD::
- ::2 GB G.Skill (DDR 2 800) ::::ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard...
::
- ::Vista x64::
c3k

Re: Fresh Vista Install Cannot Access Internet

Mick,

Thanks for the response. You're about to find out that networking
protocols and software is my weakest area.

Yes, I have a Cat5e cable running from LAN1 port on the back of the
motherboard into the BEFSX41 router firewall. The BEFSX41 has 4 ethernet
ports for networking, plus another to link into a cable modem.

My other two machines linked and still link to the internet.

You asked if I have an SSID network. I have NO idea what you mean by
that. Sorry.

To activate Vista was a pain. The only option I was given was Broadband
WAN with a username and password using PPPOE. That's useless to me. I
was able to get a modem option to show up. Too bad I don't have a modem.
I was finally able to dial in on a telephone and go through voice
prompts to activate my copy.

As it sits, Vista Ultimate 64 is unable to recognize any connections.

The LAN port on the back of the machine has the appropriate status
lights, indicating it is connected.

It may be best, if you're willing, to assume NOTHING and start from
scratch with this.

All I have connected to this new build computer is a single harddrive,
freshly formatted, a floppy drive, a DVD R/W drive, and a video card.
USB keyboard, mouse and a screen complete the picture. There's no data,
nothing. As I said, a fresh, clean install with a big internet block.

Thanks,
Ken

--
c3k
c3k

Re: Fresh Vista Install Cannot Access Internet

Matthews2010,

Thanks, you may have some points, but you CAN activate vista without a
data link. Well, a phone could be considered a data link.

As for the router being unable to cooperate with Vista, that's what I'm
wondering. I've already done some regedits per a microsoft KB article
talking about Flagging DHCP broadcasts or somesuch. That didn't work.

I also manually tweaked my settings to directly address my router
(198.162.1.1, with various DNS numbers). That didn't work.

I also cannot even ping the router on the command line using "ping
192.168.1.1". I get 4 failures and a time out.

This isn't the way the brochure said it would be....

Thanks,
Ken

--
c3k
c3k

Re: Fresh Vista Install Cannot Access Internet

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I'm chagrined to report the reason for Vista's problem: my patch cable
was broken. It had an intermittent connection, depending on how it was
flexed.

Thanks anyway.

Ken

--