Vista machine chokes network traffic and prevents XP machines from browsing internet.

Karl Rhodes

Vista machine chokes network traffic and prevents XP machines from browsing internet.
Hi all...

I've had a scout around the web for the solution to this but can't
even find any mention of it, so I thought I'd try my luck here.

I have 5 pc's at home. 4 are running Windows XP and 1 is running
Windows Vista Ultimate.
I have disbaled IPV6 on the vista machine and have manually set the
tcp/ip settings on all the machines so that they all sit nicely within
the same subnet mask within the 192.168.3. ip address range. Each
machine has it's DNS servers settings set to my ISPs dns servers, and
the gateway set to my router's IP address (192.168.3.1)
The router is a Draytek Vigor 2600g with the firmware 2.5.9_UK2
installed.

Until recently everything was ticking along nicely, then for some
reason one of these pcs started to have problems connecting to the
internet. I was completely baffled as to why because no changes had
been made to the network settings of this machine. I wondered if there
was a network card issue which wasn;t showing itself anywhere else, so
decided to rebuild a test box that had Windows Server 2003 on it with
a fresh install of Windows XP. Once the OS was installed, I installed
Office 2003 pro, did all the updates (I had to turn off the vista
machine to get this done!)

Once all the updates were installed on the new XP machine I setup the
email and tested browsing and everything worked fine. I turned on the
vista machine and almost immediately the XP connection began to choke.
I thought maybe a background process must be doind something over the
local network, but nothing seemed to be happening.

If anyone has any suggestion as to what I could try to fix this, or if
they have had the same issues themselves and have managed to fix it,
please plet me know.

Thanks

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista machine chokes network traffic and prevents XP machines from browsing internet.
Sounds like a bad NIC or malware on the Vista computer.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

news:1191671294.868147.181930@r29g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...