Vista Ultimate - VPN mystery

rb

Vista Ultimate - VPN mystery

I installed fresh Vista some 6-7 months ago. Since day one, the VPN to my
workplace via ISA2004 had worked like charm. Just over a week ago, I
connected, worked a few hours and then, all of the sudden, the connection
dropped with error 800 and, ever since, I can't connect to the office.
I can telnet on 1723. Other machines in my house (XP, 2003) connect no
problem. Other users in my company, Vista included, have no problem
connecting. I don't have VPC 2007 installed. In fact, nothing changed in
configuration of my computer in weeks prior to the "incident". Same goes for
our ISA server.
I also have another disk with Vista in my computer (good for recoveries). I
can VPN from that installation w/o any problems.

In device manager, I could see PPTP Wan miniport but the connection would
always be described as if using L2TP exclusively. I don't know if this was
the case before. I tried reconfiguring the connection to use PPTP but now it
throws 609 error (device type was specified that does not exist).

I also tried the netcfg trick. No change except that I now can't see neither
L2TP nor PPTP miniports in Device Manager. I can still create a VPN
connection but it's described and it behaves the same.

Could someone please try to help me out with this problem. I wrote to rras
team 4-5 days ago, but haven't seen any replies yet.

Thanks in advance.

rb

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Ultimate - VPN mystery
We need re-install PPTP miniports first. These links may help.

VPN IssuesMissing WAN Miniport L2TP and PPTP Symptoms: 1. The VPN connection
appears with a red X. 2. You receive the following error message: You do not
have ...
www.chicagotech.net/vpn.htm

RESOLVED: Network Wizard only ...The solution involved reinstalling
the WAN Miniport (PPTP) driver. Here's how I did it: 1. Go to device manager
and select "Show Hidden Devices" under the ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...9aeb8e5e43c459

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"rb" <rb_atttt_nospam_sheermomentum.com> wrote in message

> I installed fresh Vista some 6-7 months ago. Since day one, the VPN to my
> workplace via ISA2004 had worked like charm. Just over a week ago, I
> connected, worked a few hours and then, all of the sudden, the connection
> dropped with error 800 and, ever since, I can't connect to the office.
> I can telnet on 1723. Other machines in my house (XP, 2003) connect no
> problem. Other users in my company, Vista included, have no problem
> connecting. I don't have VPC 2007 installed. In fact, nothing changed in
> configuration of my computer in weeks prior to the "incident". Same goes
> for our ISA server.
> I also have another disk with Vista in my computer (good for recoveries).
> I can VPN from that installation w/o any problems.
>
> In device manager, I could see PPTP Wan miniport but the connection would
> always be described as if using L2TP exclusively. I don't know if this was
> the case before. I tried reconfiguring the connection to use PPTP but now
> it throws 609 error (device type was specified that does not exist).
>
> I also tried the netcfg trick. No change except that I now can't see
> neither L2TP nor PPTP miniports in Device Manager. I can still create a
> VPN connection but it's described and it behaves the same.
>
> Could someone please try to help me out with this problem. I wrote to rras
> team 4-5 days ago, but haven't seen any replies yet.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> rb

rb

Re: Vista Ultimate - VPN mystery

Never mind. The netcfg trick worked after a few reboots.

rb

Re: Vista Ultimate - VPN mystery

Thanks. Actually, I did it this way:

- open cmd

uninstall miniports
>netcfg -u ms_l2tp
>netcfg -u ms_pptp

install them again (order may not be important)
>netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i ms_pptp
>netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i ms_l2tp

I think it's a tad easier as it doesn't require any downloads.

rb

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> We need re-install PPTP miniports first. These links may help.
>
> VPN IssuesMissing WAN Miniport L2TP and PPTP Symptoms: 1. The VPN
> connection appears with a red X. 2. You receive the following error
> message: You do not have ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vpn.htm
>
> RESOLVED: Network Wizard only ...The solution involved reinstalling
> the WAN Miniport (PPTP) driver. Here's how I did it: 1. Go to device
> manager and select "Show Hidden Devices" under the ...
>
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...9aeb8e5e43c459
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "rb" <rb_atttt_nospam_sheermomentum.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I installed fresh Vista some 6-7 months ago. Since day one, the VPN to my
>> workplace via ISA2004 had worked like charm. Just over a week ago, I
>> connected, worked a few hours and then, all of the sudden, the connection
>> dropped with error 800 and, ever since, I can't connect to the office.
>> I can telnet on 1723. Other machines in my house (XP, 2003) connect no
>> problem. Other users in my company, Vista included, have no problem
>> connecting. I don't have VPC 2007 installed. In fact, nothing changed in
>> configuration of my computer in weeks prior to the "incident". Same goes
>> for our ISA server.
>> I also have another disk with Vista in my computer (good for recoveries).
>> I can VPN from that installation w/o any problems.
>>
>> In device manager, I could see PPTP Wan miniport but the connection would
>> always be described as if using L2TP exclusively. I don't know if this
>> was the case before. I tried reconfiguring the connection to use PPTP but
>> now it throws 609 error (device type was specified that does not exist).
>>
>> I also tried the netcfg trick. No change except that I now can't see
>> neither L2TP nor PPTP miniports in Device Manager. I can still create a
>> VPN connection but it's described and it behaves the same.
>>
>> Could someone please try to help me out with this problem. I wrote to
>> rras team 4-5 days ago, but haven't seen any replies yet.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> rb

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Ultimate - VPN mystery