Restore a DLL in Vista?

farrbeyond

Restore a DLL in Vista?
Hi!

I have a problem that is well documented for XP, but the instructions do not
work in Vista.

It involves GinaDLL which can be wiped out during a Cisco VPN installation.
I simply want to restore GinaDLL and have been spending hours trying to
figure it out. Can someone help? I am a novice.

Here is the problem described well for XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829715

I am looking all over the cisco site too and finding nothing.

Also, I tried system restore to get back to the previous setting, but after
four tries, each set point gave the error "failed to restore, unspecified
error" or something like that.

Thanks for your help! I really want to be able to log in to work from my
home computer without bringing my laptop home.

There does not seem to be a place on the microsoft site to download dlls!

--
farrbeyond
Steve Riley [MSFT]

Re: Restore a DLL in Vista?
There is no GINA in Windows Vista. I'm guessing that you installed a version
of the Cisco VPN client that is incompatible with Windows Vista. You should
uninstall it. I hope it'll return your Vista setup to the way it was before,
I really can't say. I don't have any experience with Cisco VPN stuff.

--
Steve Riley
steve.riley@microsoft.com

"farrbeyond" <farrbeyond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have a problem that is well documented for XP, but the instructions do
> not
> work in Vista.
>
> It involves GinaDLL which can be wiped out during a Cisco VPN
> installation.
> I simply want to restore GinaDLL and have been spending hours trying to
> figure it out. Can someone help? I am a novice.
>
> Here is the problem described well for XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829715
>
> I am looking all over the cisco site too and finding nothing.
>
> Also, I tried system restore to get back to the previous setting, but
> after
> four tries, each set point gave the error "failed to restore, unspecified
> error" or something like that.
>
> Thanks for your help! I really want to be able to log in to work from my
> home computer without bringing my laptop home.
>
> There does not seem to be a place on the microsoft site to download dlls!
>
> --
> farrbeyond

Barb Bowman

Re: Restore a DLL in Vista?
You need the "Vista compatible" Cisco VPN client version. You should
uninstall (and possibly do a system restore to the point before you
installed the old version). Your IT dept may have access to he
secure Cisco site to download a Vista compat version.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:58:00 -0700, farrbeyond
<farrbeyond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I have a problem that is well documented for XP, but the instructions do not
>work in Vista.
>
>It involves GinaDLL which can be wiped out during a Cisco VPN installation.
>I simply want to restore GinaDLL and have been spending hours trying to
>figure it out. Can someone help? I am a novice.
>
>Here is the problem described well for XP:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829715
>
>I am looking all over the cisco site too and finding nothing.
>
>Also, I tried system restore to get back to the previous setting, but after
>four tries, each set point gave the error "failed to restore, unspecified
>error" or something like that.
>
>Thanks for your help! I really want to be able to log in to work from my
>home computer without bringing my laptop home.
>
>There does not seem to be a place on the microsoft site to download dlls!

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP