Newbie Wireless Setup Question

Karen

Newbie Wireless Setup Question
Hi all,

I've just bought a new Wireless Dell laptop that I wish to connect to an
Access Point in my house.

I'm using Microsoft Vista, and I know nothing at all about the steps
involved in making this connection. The AP works fine on my friends laptop,
but she also knows nothing as the setup was done for her.

Can anyone help me in the step-by-step process.

Thanks very much for your help.

Karen
Malke

Re: Newbie Wireless Setup Question
Karen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just bought a new Wireless Dell laptop that I wish to connect to an
> Access Point in my house.
>
> I'm using Microsoft Vista, and I know nothing at all about the steps
> involved in making this connection. The AP works fine on my friends laptop,
> but she also knows nothing as the setup was done for her.
>
> Can anyone help me in the step-by-step process.

When you turn your laptop on, you should see a notice down in the
right-hand corner of the screen that says something like "Wireless
networks available, click here to connect". Do so and you should see
your wireless network's name (SSID). Click to connect and if it is an
encrypted network (one hopes so), enter the key and join the network.
Whoever set up the access point set up the encryption and, if smart,
wrote the key down. Since the "setup was done for" your friend, ask the
person who did this setup.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Axel Göller

Re: Newbie Wireless Setup Question
Malke typed:

> When you turn your laptop on, you should see a notice down in the
> right-hand corner of the screen that says something like "Wireless
> networks available, click here to connect". Do so and you should see
> your wireless network's name (SSID). Click to connect and if it is an
> encrypted network (one hopes so), enter the key and join the network.
> Whoever set up the access point set up the encryption and, if smart,
> wrote the key down. Since the "setup was done for" your friend, ask
> the person who did this setup.

This is the correct response. In addition: your laptop either has a little
switch to turn on/off the wireless function, or it needs a combination of
the Fn-key and a F-key (possibly F6). See your manual.

And check the services: the zero-wireless-configuration service has to be on
automatic.

Your WLAN will run fine.

Axel

picoHat

RE: Newbie Wireless Setup Question
It's quite easy to do it, take a look here:

Using Windows Vista to Connect Wireless Network
http://www.home-network-help.com/vis...s-network.html

Have fun..
Karen

RE: Newbie Wireless Setup Question