Wireless Router or Access Point

Mike.ONeal

Wireless Router or Access Point
Does anyone know how to use the Set up a wireless router or access point in
Network and Sharing Center->Setup a connection or network?
--
Mike O.
Tom Ferguson

Re: Wireless Router or Access Point
There are many here that have considerable knowledge and much experience
setting up networks . However, you will have to provide more details of
any issues you are having and what you want to do.

All the best.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Mike.ONeal" <MikeONeal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to use the Set up a wireless router or access
> point in
> Network and Sharing Center->Setup a connection or network?
> --
> Mike O.

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless Router or Access Point
exactly what hardware do you have? some supports WCN and some does
not? need model and brand, etc.

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:25:00 -0700, Mike.ONeal
<MikeONeal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to use the Set up a wireless router or access point in
>Network and Sharing Center->Setup a connection or network?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Mike.ONeal

Re: Wireless Router or Access Point
Thank you both Tom and Barb for responding.

2 Thinkpads, 1 setup with Windows Vista Ultimate, the other with Windows
Vista Business. Both are using Linksys WPC55AG dual-band Wireless Notebook
Adapters.

I have used the wizard that is in Network and Sharing Center->Setup a
connection or network->Set up a wireless router or network. I have been
through the wizard which I believe will setup the host as router. First, It
asks for a USB Flash Drive to write data to. Then it asks for the name and
the one suggested is the original name of the "host" with "_Network" added to
it. I left the default. Next, is the paraphrase, I used the default. For
printer file and printer sharing, I used "allow anyone with access to
network". Then it tells you to remove it and connect to the second computer.
A dialog box comes up with the option to run the Wireless Network Setup
Wizard. I used it and it asks if I want to join the "network". I said OK
and it states that I am connected to the "network". At this point I am a bit
stumped because there are no network resources to use and nothing appears
that belongs to the other system.

I don't know if I have done something to interfere with the connectivity, so
I am performing a clean install on both systems.
--
Mike O.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> exactly what hardware do you have? some supports WCN and some does
> not? need model and brand, etc.
>
> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:25:00 -0700, Mike.ONeal
> <MikeONeal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to use the Set up a wireless router or access point in
> >Network and Sharing Center->Setup a connection or network?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless Router or Access Point
do you have a router or not? which one? if you do and it supports
WCN, see
http://home.comcast.net/~barbbowman/articles.html

if you are trying to setup an ad hoc network, see the article below.
do NOT use WEP. Use WPA2 or WPA

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...18e561033.mspx

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:09:02 -0700, Mike.ONeal
<MikeONeal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you both Tom and Barb for responding.
>
>2 Thinkpads, 1 setup with Windows Vista Ultimate, the other with Windows
>Vista Business. Both are using Linksys WPC55AG dual-band Wireless Notebook
>Adapters.
>
>I have used the wizard that is in Network and Sharing Center->Setup a
>connection or network->Set up a wireless router or network. I have been
>through the wizard which I believe will setup the host as router. First, It
>asks for a USB Flash Drive to write data to. Then it asks for the name and
>the one suggested is the original name of the "host" with "_Network" added to
>it. I left the default. Next, is the paraphrase, I used the default. For
>printer file and printer sharing, I used "allow anyone with access to
>network". Then it tells you to remove it and connect to the second computer.
> A dialog box comes up with the option to run the Wireless Network Setup
>Wizard. I used it and it asks if I want to join the "network". I said OK
>and it states that I am connected to the "network". At this point I am a bit
>stumped because there are no network resources to use and nothing appears
>that belongs to the other system.
>
>I don't know if I have done something to interfere with the connectivity, so
>I am performing a clean install on both systems.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Mike.ONeal

Re: Wireless Router or Access Point
Barb,

I think that I was confused about the purpose of Setting Up a Wireless
Router. I am well versed in using a simple saying like "bing" to generate a
128 bit security code and setting up the encryption and other security
measures on a router. Perhaps this tool will become useful at another time.

I believe that I will find my answers in Ad-hoc networking where you can use
share a network connection, such a wireless phone network, with other
computers connected to your computer through a second network card.

Thanks for helping clarify things.
--
Mike O.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> do you have a router or not? which one? if you do and it supports
> WCN, see
> http://home.comcast.net/~barbbowman/articles.html
>

> if you are trying to setup an ad hoc network, see the article below.
> do NOT use WEP. Use WPA2 or WPA
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...18e561033.mspx
>
> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:09:02 -0700, Mike.ONeal
> <MikeONeal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thank you both Tom and Barb for responding.
> >
> >2 Thinkpads, 1 setup with Windows Vista Ultimate, the other with Windows
> >Vista Business. Both are using Linksys WPC55AG dual-band Wireless Notebook
> >Adapters.
> >
> >I have used the wizard that is in Network and Sharing Center->Setup a
> >connection or network->Set up a wireless router or network. I have been
> >through the wizard which I believe will setup the host as router. First, It
> >asks for a USB Flash Drive to write data to. Then it asks for the name and
> >the one suggested is the original name of the "host" with "_Network" added to
> >it. I left the default. Next, is the paraphrase, I used the default. For
> >printer file and printer sharing, I used "allow anyone with access to
> >network". Then it tells you to remove it and connect to the second computer.
> > A dialog box comes up with the option to run the Wireless Network Setup
> >Wizard. I used it and it asks if I want to join the "network". I said OK
> >and it states that I am connected to the "network". At this point I am a bit
> >stumped because there are no network resources to use and nothing appears
> >that belongs to the other system.
> >
> >I don't know if I have done something to interfere with the connectivity, so
> >I am performing a clean install on both systems.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless Router or Access Point
128 bit WEP is not safe. Please use WPA/WPA2.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:38:02 -0700, Mike.ONeal
<MikeONeal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Barb,
>
>I think that I was confused about the purpose of Setting Up a Wireless
>Router. I am well versed in using a simple saying like "bing" to generate a
>128 bit security code and setting up the encryption and other security
>measures on a router. Perhaps this tool will become useful at another time.
>
>I believe that I will find my answers in Ad-hoc networking where you can use
>share a network connection, such a wireless phone network, with other
>computers connected to your computer through a second network card.
>
>Thanks for helping clarify things.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Mike.ONeal

Re: Wireless Router or Access Point
Barb,

I setup the network using ad-hoc (with WPA2) and it worked exactly like I
need it too. Think live-aboard boat, husband and wife, internet needs, oh
yeah!

My home Linksys Wireless Access Point uses WEP, so I will need to look into
will look into the issues with it's safety.

Thanks for everything and have a good day.
--
Mike O.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> 128 bit WEP is not safe. Please use WPA/WPA2.
>
> On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:38:02 -0700, Mike.ONeal
> <MikeONeal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Barb,
> >
> >I think that I was confused about the purpose of Setting Up a Wireless
> >Router. I am well versed in using a simple saying like "bing" to generate a
> >128 bit security code and setting up the encryption and other security
> >measures on a router. Perhaps this tool will become useful at another time.
> >
> >I believe that I will find my answers in Ad-hoc networking where you can use
> >share a network connection, such a wireless phone network, with other
> >computers connected to your computer through a second network card.
> >
> >Thanks for helping clarify things.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Wireless Router or Access Point
thanks for the update. glad this worked for you and please do move
from WEP to WPA/WPA2 ASAP.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:05:03 -0700, Mike.ONeal