Accessing files hares

Fredo

Accessing files hares
I have 5 vista PCs in my house and the problem that I am having is that only
one of them has the ability to be accessed by other computers. In other
words, The Office pc is sharing some folders and a printer and all the other
computers can access it without issue (this was upgrade install). The other
computers(clean installs) on the network also have folders being shared and
when I browse for them through the network window the shares themselves are
visible, but when I try to access the file share it gives me an error message
saying that 'you do not have access to this network resource'. i have
password protected sharing turned off, the windows firewall is turned off and
i even set the computers on the network to manual IP addressing. One other
note, when i fist set up the computer (fresh install) the file shares are
accessible on all the other computers, but after 2-3 weeks it breaks and i am
unable to make it work after that. i have also tried creating new shares and
that doesn't work either.

Thanks,
-Fredo
John

Re: Accessing files hares
This could be the issue I recently ranted about... if so, here's your
answer.

In all the network dialogs, I assume you have enabled file and print
sharing. That should do it... right? Nope, not with Vista.

Open the Network dialog... I can't say which one, there are too many. But
you need to find the choice of Manage Network Connections.

Open it and click the Properties button lower left.

Now see if the File and Prine charing check box is checked... if not, check
it and ask MS why it's not checked sice you already enabled file and print
share.

Check
"Fredo" <Fredo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 5 vista PCs in my house and the problem that I am having is that
>only
> one of them has the ability to be accessed by other computers. In other
> words, The Office pc is sharing some folders and a printer and all the
> other
> computers can access it without issue (this was upgrade install). The
> other
> computers(clean installs) on the network also have folders being shared
> and
> when I browse for them through the network window the shares themselves
> are
> visible, but when I try to access the file share it gives me an error
> message
> saying that 'you do not have access to this network resource'. i have
> password protected sharing turned off, the windows firewall is turned off
> and
> i even set the computers on the network to manual IP addressing. One other
> note, when i fist set up the computer (fresh install) the file shares are
> accessible on all the other computers, but after 2-3 weeks it breaks and i
> am
> unable to make it work after that. i have also tried creating new shares
> and
> that doesn't work either.
>
> Thanks,
> -Fredo

Fredo

Re: Accessing files hares
nope, that wasn't it... it was already checked on my computer and it still
doesn't work...

thanks anyways

"John" wrote:

> This could be the issue I recently ranted about... if so, here's your
> answer.
>
> In all the network dialogs, I assume you have enabled file and print
> sharing. That should do it... right? Nope, not with Vista.
>
> Open the Network dialog... I can't say which one, there are too many. But
> you need to find the choice of Manage Network Connections.
>
> Open it and click the Properties button lower left.
>
> Now see if the File and Prine charing check box is checked... if not, check
> it and ask MS why it's not checked sice you already enabled file and print
> share.
>
> Check
> "Fredo" <Fredo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 5 vista PCs in my house and the problem that I am having is that
> >only
> > one of them has the ability to be accessed by other computers. In other
> > words, The Office pc is sharing some folders and a printer and all the
> > other
> > computers can access it without issue (this was upgrade install). The
> > other
> > computers(clean installs) on the network also have folders being shared
> > and
> > when I browse for them through the network window the shares themselves
> > are
> > visible, but when I try to access the file share it gives me an error
> > message
> > saying that 'you do not have access to this network resource'. i have
> > password protected sharing turned off, the windows firewall is turned off
> > and
> > i even set the computers on the network to manual IP addressing. One other
> > note, when i fist set up the computer (fresh install) the file shares are
> > accessible on all the other computers, but after 2-3 weeks it breaks and i
> > am
> > unable to make it work after that. i have also tried creating new shares
> > and
> > that doesn't work either.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Fredo