Vista Laptop asks for user & password from 1 WinXP but not other W

Gillian

Vista Laptop asks for user & password from 1 WinXP but not other W
I have just bought a new laptop running Vista and added it to our home
network (called MSHome) which has two PCs running Windows XP. I have shared
the Public folders on the laptop supposedly without restrictions (no username
or password required) and both PCs can see the laptop through 'my network
places'. One of the PCs can access the laptop Public folders without any
problem. The other PC asks for the laptop's username and password before
allowing access to the laptop's Public Folder. Why? (The laptop can also
access this PC's shared folders without any problem.)
Malke

Re: Vista Laptop asks for user & password from 1 WinXP but not otherW
Gillian wrote:
> I have just bought a new laptop running Vista and added it to our home
> network (called MSHome) which has two PCs running Windows XP. I have shared
> the Public folders on the laptop supposedly without restrictions (no username
> or password required) and both PCs can see the laptop through 'my network
> places'. One of the PCs can access the laptop Public folders without any
> problem. The other PC asks for the laptop's username and password before
> allowing access to the laptop's Public Folder. Why? (The laptop can also
> access this PC's shared folders without any problem.)

Your post got me a little tangled as to which machine asks for a
username/password from whom, but this is simply solved. Create identical
user accounts and passwords on all machines and authentication will be
taken care of. If you didn't create passwords in your user accounts,
please do so. You can set the machines to automatically log into a
desired user account if you like. Do this in Vista the same way as it is
done in XP:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Gillian

Re: Vista Laptop asks for user & password from 1 WinXP but not oth
Hi Malke,
At the moment, the Vista laptop is the only computer with a user account
password and I have just bought it for my business (I'm self-employed working
both from home and from clients' premises). Of the two original Windows XP
PCs one belongs to me personally (I just switch it on and it starts without
asking for a user name or password) and the other PC is my husband's and
starts the same way. My husband's PC can access my laptop Public folders
without being prompted for a password, but my PC is prompted for the laptop's
username and password. Even if we have to give all 3 computers the the same
username and password (I'd rather not) I'd still like to know why one PC has
access to the laptop and the other doesn't when their settings would appear
to be the same.

Gillian wrote:
> Hi Malke,
> At the moment, the Vista laptop is the only computer with a user account
> password and I have just bought it for my business (I'm self-employed working
> both from home and from clients' premises). Of the two original Windows XP
> PCs one belongs to me personally (I just switch it on and it starts without
> asking for a user name or password) and the other PC is my husband's and
> starts the same way. My husband's PC can access my laptop Public folders
> without being prompted for a password, but my PC is prompted for the laptop's
> username and password. Even if we have to give all 3 computers the the same
> username and password (I'd rather not) I'd still like to know why one PC has
> access to the laptop and the other doesn't when their settings would appear
> to be the same.

The answer is that you are misunderstanding how multi-user operating
systems (XP, Vista, Linux, Unix, OS X) really work. You *do* have a user
account on your personal computers - you just don't realize it. Your
home machine is probably XP Home and you are using the generic "Owner"
type of user account set up by the OEM (Dell, HP, etc.). Either that or
someone set it up to automatically log into your user account with the
same process I already gave you in my first post.

Go to the User Accounts applet on each computer and you will see the
user accounts on the systems. If you have XP Home and only one user
account (such as "Owner" or the like), you will not see the built-in
Administrator account there because it is hidden by design.

There is no reason not to create identical user accounts/passwords on
all three machines. You only have three machines so this is not an
onerous task and your network sharing will now work. You do not need to
be logged into the same accounts on all three machines; the accounts
simply need to exist.

In a peer-to-peer network (as opposed to a domain with a server), called
a "Workgroup" in the Windows world, authentication is done on the local
computer. In simplistic metaphorical terms, this means that:

1. Computer A requests access to a shared network resource from Computer B.

2. Computer B looks at its list of user accounts and passwords (rather
like someone at the door checking your invitation to an exclusive
party). If there is a match, then Computer B allows access. If there is
no match, then Computer B asks Computer A to provide the name and
password of a user who *does* have access.

Hope this helped,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Laptop asks for user & password from 1 WinXP but not other W

The above read might help.