Vista can't open websites using domain names?

chapel29

Vista can't open websites using domain names?
I'm having an issue with my new laptop using Vista Home Premium.

While connected to our DSL line at work, I can not open up websites using
domain names such as www.google.com. I can however open them up using the IP
address, bookmarks, and apps that connect to internet based services (The VB
online help search for instance).

This is not a problem that I have at home, where I am connected via wireless
to a D-Link Router. The work router is a Sonic Wall.

I have statically assigned my IP address, default gateway, and DNS servers
(this is something we have to do when connecting to the DSL line at work.
There is no DHCP server for this network.)

I am assuming that this is going to be an issue with the router. Anyone have
any suggestions as to what this could be?
picoHat

RE: Vista can't open websites using domain names?
Looks like your DNS servers is not working at work, how about trying the
following free DNS servers from OpenDNS (wwwi.opendns.com), pretty good the
performance..

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

Hope helps..

picoHat
www.home-network-help.com

Malke

chapel29 wrote:
> I'm having an issue with my new laptop using Vista Home Premium.
>
> While connected to our DSL line at work, I can not open up websites using
> domain names such as www.google.com. I can however open them up using the IP
> address, bookmarks, and apps that connect to internet based services (The VB
> online help search for instance).
>
> This is not a problem that I have at home, where I am connected via wireless
> to a D-Link Router. The work router is a Sonic Wall.
>
> I have statically assigned my IP address, default gateway, and DNS servers
> (this is something we have to do when connecting to the DSL line at work.
> There is no DHCP server for this network.)
>
> I am assuming that this is going to be an issue with the router. Anyone have
> any suggestions as to what this could be?

Since you can get to the websites by entering their IP addresses but not
their names, the issue is connected to DNS. You need to check your DNS
settings for the work network. If you are using a domain, your Vista
Home Premium machines can't join it but can use the server for DNS if
that's how you are set up.

A more detailed description of your work setup - domain, workgroup, DSL
provider, etc. - will help. It will also help if you post the results of
ipconfig /all from the laptop while at work.

Start Orb>Search box, type

cmd [enter]

The cmd entry will appear above. Right-click on it and choose "run as
Administrator". Then do:

ipconfig /all [enter]

Post the IP addresses for the computer, the gateway, and the DNS servers.

Also post the make/model of the router at work.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
chapel29

Re: Vista can't open websites using domain names?
I have double checked the DNS IP's and they work just fine for my XP machine
that I am using to type this up.

IPCONFIG Info

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E
Gigabit
Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-24-6D-07-04
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.1.1.101(Preferred)
209.142.136.220
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

It is not associated with any domain (we don't join any domain). DSL
provider is CenturyTel. Workgroup is MSHOME.

The router is a Sonic Wall is a TZ170 Series.

"Malke" wrote:

> chapel29 wrote:
> > I'm having an issue with my new laptop using Vista Home Premium.
> >
> > While connected to our DSL line at work, I can not open up websites using
> > domain names such as www.google.com. I can however open them up using the IP
> > address, bookmarks, and apps that connect to internet based services (The VB
> > online help search for instance).
> >
> > This is not a problem that I have at home, where I am connected via wireless
> > to a D-Link Router. The work router is a Sonic Wall.
> >
> > I have statically assigned my IP address, default gateway, and DNS servers
> > (this is something we have to do when connecting to the DSL line at work.
> > There is no DHCP server for this network.)
> >
> > I am assuming that this is going to be an issue with the router. Anyone have
> > any suggestions as to what this could be?

> Since you can get to the websites by entering their IP addresses but not
> their names, the issue is connected to DNS. You need to check your DNS
> settings for the work network. If you are using a domain, your Vista
> Home Premium machines can't join it but can use the server for DNS if
> that's how you are set up.
>
> A more detailed description of your work setup - domain, workgroup, DSL
> provider, etc. - will help. It will also help if you post the results of
> ipconfig /all from the laptop while at work.
>
> Start Orb>Search box, type
>
> cmd [enter]
>
> The cmd entry will appear above. Right-click on it and choose "run as
> Administrator". Then do:
>
> ipconfig /all [enter]
>
> Post the IP addresses for the computer, the gateway, and the DNS servers.
>
> Also post the make/model of the router at work.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

chapel29

RE: Vista can't open websites using domain names?
I tred the opendns servers as well and am getting the same problem. I'm
betting that this is a router issue.

"picoHat" wrote:

> Looks like your DNS servers is not working at work, how about trying the
> following free DNS servers from OpenDNS (wwwi.opendns.com), pretty good the
> performance..
>
> 208.67.222.222
> 208.67.220.220
>
> Hope helps..
>
> picoHat
> www.home-network-help.com

Barb Bowman

Re: Vista can't open websites using domain names?
check the firmware
http://www.sonicwall.com/us/2113_vista.html

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:11:01 -0700, chapel29
<chapel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The router is a Sonic Wall is a TZ170 Series.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP