can't connect to SQL Server wireless but can with wired

David

can't connect to SQL Server wireless but can with wired
When trying to make an ODBC connection to one of our SQL 2005 servers, I can
make the connection if I have the wired ethernet connection. As soon as I
switch to 802.11g, I get a 258 login timeout. All other things, Exchange,
Proxy etc. work great but no connection the ODBC link can be made.

Some else with a laptop here using the same network etc with the only
difference being they use XP can make connections just fine.

Any ideas on what to check?
Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: can't connect to SQL Server wireless but can with wired
Do a simple test. Can you ping the sql server by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

> When trying to make an ODBC connection to one of our SQL 2005 servers, I
> can
> make the connection if I have the wired ethernet connection. As soon as I
> switch to 802.11g, I get a 258 login timeout. All other things, Exchange,
> Proxy etc. work great but no connection the ODBC link can be made.
>
> Some else with a laptop here using the same network etc with the only
> difference being they use XP can make connections just fine.
>
> Any ideas on what to check?

David

Re: can't connect to SQL Server wireless but can with wired
Yes, ping works fine and I can even access a shared folder on the SQL
computer. All normal domain tasks (access file servers, proxy, exchange)
work ok. The SQL server has the latest service packs as well.

If I simply do "Test Connection" in the ODBC panel, it passes in about 1
second or less when using the wired connection. When using wireless, the
test connection waits for about 10 seconds and then says it failed with a
login timeout. Login timeout on the server is set to 20 seconds and even if
we set it to much longer, the wireless connection still fails in 10 seconds.

We just don't know where to look next.